XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 11:06 am   #1
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,095
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice
Default nosice needs a gear head...

Okay ive let my pickup sit for about 8 months because the gas milaged sucked and the last time i went out to start it up i needed a new battery... So i got a new battery today.. Started it up and this whine started coming from the motor... I know what a slip belt sounds like, this is not it....

When I turn my wheel or step on the break it gets louder... so I was wondering does this mean that I have Power Steering pump going out or is it out... OR does it mean that i have some air trap in the line.. ?

Thanks in advance ...

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 12:59 pm   #2
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,672
Boston

Paging Desired Customs to the front desk please.

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 1:17 pm   #3
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Sounds bad Kevin, real bad.

Why fix it? It's never going to be the same again

The wife needs to know that you need a new truck now!!

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 3:06 pm   #4
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,756
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

First thing, check that you have power steering fluid. If it is full already than it could either be your pump going out or the belt that drives the pump may be slipping. Hope this helps!
Old Jul. 8th, '14, 3:09 pm   #5
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,590
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latdogg View Post
First thing, check that you have power steering fluid. If it is full already than it could either be your pump going out or the belt that drives the pump may be slipping. Hope this helps!
That is what came to mind for me Latt....my Jeep sounded like a some wounded animal...it was the power steering fluid.

GL Kev.

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Jul. 8th, '14, 6:05 pm   #6
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,270
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Kev, what is the yr make model

does it make the same noise on brake and turning? does it get louder and softer or just same audible through each of those situations?

905 650-2109 is my iMessage.. if u want to chat perhaps i can hear this noise. if you have a pulley tensioner on the truck it could need some oiling.. or just play once driving i have seen these sit for a long time and do crazy things.

when you push brakes doesn't make sense, since master cylinder and brakes are separate and do not tie into the motor at all.

did u take it for a little drive down the street? see what happens? if you are running. and the engine seems like the belts are spinning and you can't tell where the noise is coming from i would try moving it around a bit. and then see if u can pinpoint the noise

power steering is usually this..
A loud screeching, screaming, or whistling sound when turning the steering wheel – this is often a sign of the steering pump belt being loose or worn out. It can also indicate problems with the steering pump itself.

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 8:19 pm   #7
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,632
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

what he said!!

Old Jul. 8th, '14, 11:07 pm   #8
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,095
Raleigh, NC

2000 model silverado... Before i let the battery go dead it would only whine when the wheels were turned hard left or right.... But after i got up to Raleigh from Texas I noticed that I was having a little bit of break issue.. I got a new car.. and kinda abandoned the truck but i need it for TAILGATING... and moving to the new house here...

Now that i got it started.. It has a whine.. not as bad as it was when i first started.. But it is a constant whine ... Louder when I turn the wheel and step on the break..

Interesting about the breaks.. I need to drive it but i was in a little bit of a hurry today.

Old Jul. 9th, '14, 10:15 am   #9
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,270
Niagara Falls, Ontario

if its whining a little bit, and then more when moving the wheels it is def power steering. could be the pump or drive pulley bearing.

does it seem tougher to steer and move? is that the 4litre or 5 litre in there?

Old Jul. 10th, '14, 8:18 am   #10
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,095
Raleigh, NC

5L.. no.. turns no problem.. just loud..