XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Other sport topics

Old Jan. 7th, '15, 1:41 pm   #1
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,669
Boston
Default Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine after this weekend's fight

I was admittedly rooting for Cormier, who took the loss pretty hard. Now we learn Jones is headed to rehab. Coke's a pretty damn good stimulant, but the UFC doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to dealing with dopers. Interesting to see how this plays out, doubt this will net Jones additional fans, unless of course he uses this opportunity to truly turn things around for himself on a personal level. Now THAT would actually put a genuine smile on my face. I guess in this regard I'm rooting for the Champ still.

Old Jan. 7th, '15, 1:50 pm   #2
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,669
Boston

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/ufc-cha...y-enters-rehab

Apparently the UFC and NSAC knew about the failed drug test prior to the fight happening, but since benzoylecgonine (the primary metabolite cocaine breaks down to) isn't on the banned substances list, the fight was allowed to happen. I'm baffled that both the UFC and the NSAC allowed a fighter using cocaine to enter the octagon and fight, it could potentially have significant legal ramifications for the UFC, especially considering they've suspended/cut fighters who tested positive for cannabis.

Messy situation.

Old Jan. 7th, '15, 2:41 pm   #3
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 17,763
NE of TO

That's disgusting. The payday is obviously more important to the UFC than doing the right thing (and cancelling the fight) When you're hopped up on cocaine, you can literally feel no pain. so the argument that it's not a performance enhancing drug for fights is complete bullshit. The fight should have never taken place.

Cormier should have an immediate rematch or better yet, give him the belt by default until Jones comes back.

And the UFC wonders why it's losing fans left right and center. It's a fact that interest in MMA in general has been in a steep decline over the past 1-2 years, so I guess I'm not surprised by the UFC's non action here. I think they know their best days are behind them now and are doing and will do whatever they need to survive at this point.

I bet you see the Lorenzo brothers (and perhaps even Dana) sell the UFC within the next 1-2 years to get out while they still can and let someone else go down with the sinking ship.

Last edited by BleedBlueBlood; Jan. 7th, '15 at 3:10 pm.

Old Jan. 7th, '15, 3:15 pm   #4
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 17,763
NE of TO

Just googling UFC, I found a few articles talking about the financial troubles the UFC is in and how the company has been in decline. So having them look the other way for this fight makes complete sense (they can't afford to lose pay days like this one) Greed has taken over morality.

The end is near UFC.....time to take you out behind the shed like old Yeller.

Last edited by BleedBlueBlood; Jan. 7th, '15 at 3:32 pm.

Old Jan. 7th, '15, 9:22 pm   #5
KT
Jul 2008 5,109
North Vancouver, B.C

We really don't know whether he's truly addicted to cocaine or not. I have a gut feeling that this is the UFC's way of saving face.. sending him to "rehab" is a good PR move on their part. it might just be a one-time thing (Or at least I'm hoping so). I'm really intrigued to see whether he passed the post-fight drug test or not.. those results still haven't been released.

Old Jan. 8th, '15, 9:14 am   #6
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

I was rooting for Cormier too. The sport is definately taking a hit and this isn't cool.