Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Everything Else

Old Jan. 25th, '17, 5:04 pm   #1
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Default Resident Evil 7

Back to single player only for the first time since #4, but a couple hours in, it's easily the scariest ever.

I have yet to see how the story relates to the larger RE mythos, or if it even does, but I'm having a great time experiencing actual stress terror in a game instead of just cheap jump scares.

Just be warned. The whole time wandering around the bayou property, it's going to feel like bad things happening to your cornhole is a foregone conclusion, and the only question is if you'll be alive to enjoy it.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Jan. 25th, '17, 6:56 pm   #2
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,634
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

thanks good to know

Old Jan. 26th, '17, 11:25 am   #3
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,714
Boston

That's a solid review, thanks Muscley. Game looks interesting. Wish I had more time. =(

Old Jan. 26th, '17, 11:31 pm   #4
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,634
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
That's a solid review, thanks Muscley. Game looks interesting. Wish I had more time. =(
me too, but ill pick it up when the price drops.

Old Jan. 27th, '17, 12:24 pm   #5
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,714
Boston

The forced first person kills it for me though. I have a hard time with 1st person games, I tend to get motion sickness very easily playing those, even worse when I'm watching one of my kids play it (or even Minecraft for googness sakes). I love getting old.

Old Jan. 27th, '17, 1:39 pm   #6
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
The forced first person kills it for me though. I have a hard time with 1st person games, I tend to get motion sickness very easily playing those, even worse when I'm watching one of my kids play it (or even Minecraft for googness sakes). I love getting old.
you're just like Dusty. That's why we're pushing him to get GTA. Makaak just got it yesterday, so we'll be playing GTA more often now. The Sauerbratens might hit 30 members soon

Old Jan. 27th, '17, 5:40 pm   #7
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The 1st person perspective is handled very well, to the point where I might have actually preferred playing in VR (which is not something I imagined myself ever saying). Mind you I suppose that also depends a lot on the controls.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Jan. 27th, '17, 6:23 pm   #8
DustyRytStyk
Kabbott Is My Idol

May 2011 2,214
Long Island, NY

I hear ya Pete! I loved most of the Resident Evil games but the first person perspective killed it for me.

Old Jan. 30th, '17, 7:13 am   #9
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,714
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
you're just like Dusty. That's why we're pushing him to get GTA. Makaak just got it yesterday, so we'll be playing GTA more often now. The Sauerbratens might hit 30 members soon
The club has leveled up a few times since I started playing again - it'll be good to have more of the crew online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRytStyk View Post
I hear ya Pete! I loved most of the Resident Evil games but the first person perspective killed it for me.
Sucks man, because there are a lot of first person games out there that I'd love to play - it's just never going to happen. Now that said, and as Jason interestingly pointed out, I'd be curious to play some of these first person games in VR and see if I have the same nausea/motion issues.

Considering how far gaming has come, I can't wait to see where it'll be in 20 years (though I'll hazard a guess that EA NHL still plays pretty much the same).

Also, I'm going to have to check out that final Resident Evil movie.

Old Feb. 8th, '17, 10:25 am   #10
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Well, it's done. The skin-crawling nightmares end around 7-8 hours in depending on how many stress breaks you need to take in the first few areas, and the end 2 hour sequence sort of reverts to the kind of cheeseball slapstick nonsense series fans are familiar with. There is supposedly a lot of DLC coming - including one chapter advertised immediately after the credits which would appear to answer the questions provided by the mindfuck of an ending.

Up until the "escape" sequence though, this is the best survival horror game ever made. It's not that the last section is "bad" so much as you're just kind of done with it by then, and it really does not help that most of that section feels totally transplanted from RE: Revelations for Nintendo DS.