Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Other Sports > Fighting

Old Dec. 2nd, '14, 11:09 am   #1
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,610
Canada
UFC Ufc 181

Man I can't wait for this card....I may just take the wife out for a late dinner and fall into this event at a local venue......

A few dynamite fights here.

Main Card
Welterweight : Johny Hendricks (c) vs. Robbie Lawler
Lightweight : Anthony Pettis (c) vs. Gilbert Melendez
Heavyweight : Travis Browne vs. Brendan Schaub
Heavyweight : Todd Duffee vs. Anthony Hamilton
Lightweight : Tony Ferguson vs. Abel Trujillo

Preliminary card
Bantamweight : Urijah Faber vs. Francisco Rivera
Middleweight : Eddie Gordon vs. Josh Samman
Light Heavyweight : Corey Anderson vs. Justin Jones
Women's Bantamweight : Raquel Pennington vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith

Preliminary card
Bantamweight : Sergio Pettis vs. Matt Hobar
Featherweight : Alex White vs. Clay Collard

Is Sergio relate to Anthony ?

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Dec. 2nd, '14, 12:36 pm   #2
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,694
Boston

That does look like a very good card indeed!

Old Dec. 3rd, '14, 12:59 am   #3
KT
Jul 2008 5,199
Vancouver, B.C

Yep, Sergio is Anthony's younger brother. He fights very similar to Anthony, lots of kicks... heavy karate background. He's not quite as well rounded as Anthony, but he's a very young fighter with a lot of potential. He's a long way from being a contender however.

The main event is really intriguing because Hendricks still managed to beat Lawler the first time with after tearing his bicep early on in the fight. Since that fight I feel that Lawler has improved tremendously, and in that time Hendricks has just been rehabbing. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new welterweight champ Saturday night, at least I hope so!

I think Pettis will be too much for Melendez to handle. The only way I could see Melendez winning is by taking him down and scoring points in an ugly decision. I like Anthony's ground game, he's super aggressive with his submissions off his back even if he gets taken down. If it's a stand up fight Pettis should have the advantage.

I can see Travis Browne winning. I think Schaub is one of those fighters that hasn't lived up to his potential and he doesn't seem to be improving since his time on TUF. Meanwhile, Browne has looked impressive in most of his fights. He'll have a bit of a size advantage too. Both of his UFC losses he suffered injuries during the fights which hindered his performance. As long as he doesn't break a rib or anything I think he'll be able to put a beating on Schaub.

Tony Ferguson / Abel Trujilo is a good bet for fight of the night. Ferguson is really impressive, and seems to be improving every fight. It'll be interesting to see how he handles Trujilo who's probably the strongest guy he's ever faced. I have no idea how Abel cuts down to 155, but I'm thinking Ferguson will outwork him and either win by decision or get a late finish.

Looks like a great card, I'll definitely be watching it!

Old Dec. 3rd, '14, 6:56 am   #4
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Definitely one of the better, more complete, main cards in a while. When all five fights could easily end via 1st round KO, it's a can't miss show, that's for sure.

Haven't been this excited for a main event in a long, long time. Fan of both Hendricks and Lawler, but I'm pulling for Lawler as well. Just for the story of the veteran finally getting to the top of the mountain all of these years later. And just watching his progression over the years, it may finally be his time.

Pettis. I'm not sold on him....yet. Beating Benson is one hell of an accomplishment, doing it twice was borderline impossible. He has every tool, an excellent striking and submission game, but I just can't view him as "the guy", unless he beats Melendez. Much like the main event, this one is a toss up. Don't have a horse in this particular race, just looking forward to an amazing fight.

Schaub is simply a pawn, the rebound for Browne to destroy (at least Dana hopes). Schaub has been firmly placed in the gatekeeper role, where he'll never be a contender, but if someone defeats him they are instantly viewed as a potential contender. With Browne being as close to a title shot as he was before, if he wins this fight and his next, he'll be the next in line to fight Cain/Werdum.

Excited to see Todd Duffee. He's an enigma. You never know what you'll get. But, with this being his first fight in almost two years, I'm skeptical, as I'm sure most are. And I'm always excited to see Abel Trujillo.

Should be a fun night of fights.
Old Dec. 3rd, '14, 8:12 pm   #5
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,610
Canada

Man thanks KT and Tougie....love the insight on the fighters.....lost a bit of my familiarity with them as I haven't been able to follow MMA like I have in the past so this really helps......man I am totally pumped for this card.

Peace

Old Dec. 3rd, '14, 9:27 pm   #6
KT
Jul 2008 5,199
Vancouver, B.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougie View Post
Pettis. I'm not sold on him....yet. Beating Benson is one hell of an accomplishment, doing it twice was borderline impossible. He has every tool, an excellent striking and submission game, but I just can't view him as "the guy", unless he beats Melendez. Much like the main event, this one is a toss up. Don't have a horse in this particular race, just looking forward to an amazing fight.
I agree, I'm not sold on Pettis either. Styles make fights, and so far he's matched up well against all of his opponents (with the exception of Clay Guida). I believe that Khabib Nurmagomedov is the future lightweight champion. I feel like his style could expose some of Anthony's weaknesses.. it's just hard for me to believe that Pettis will be a long-time title holder like a Jon Jones or Jose Aldo. I enjoy watching his fights and I'll be rooting for him on Saturday night, but... there's just something about him that doesn't make me believe he'll be a long time title holder. Don't know what it is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Winkle View Post
Man thanks KT and Tougie....love the insight on the fighters.....lost a bit of my familiarity with them as I haven't been able to follow MMA like I have in the past so this really helps......man I am totally pumped for this card.

Peace
No problem. It's hard to follow the UFC now. There's an event on almost every weekend it seems, and there's so many guys I've never heard of on the undercards now. It's hard to keep up with everyone like it was in the past. And to see that the UFC will only add more events next year is sort of mind boggling

Old Dec. 6th, '14, 11:37 pm   #7
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,610
Canada

WOW.......

Peace

Old Dec. 7th, '14, 6:12 pm   #8
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
No problem. It's hard to follow the UFC now. There's an event on almost every weekend it seems, and there's so many guys I've never heard of on the undercards now. It's hard to keep up with everyone like it was in the past. And to see that the UFC will only add more events next year is sort of mind boggling
Extremely difficult. I try to watch as much as possible, as I enjoy watching the "next big things" develop on the undercards of nothing shows. But there is definitely a limit, and the product is beyond over saturated at this point. Between PPV's, FS1 cards, Fox cards, Fight Pass cards, it's proof that there can be too much of a good thing.

And side note, last night's card certainly didn't disappoint. Great stuff.
Old Dec. 10th, '14, 9:36 am   #9
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,694
Boston

Good card, and good fights. I agree the UFC has become too saturated. It's all too common for me to look at a card and think there may be one single good fight on there I want to watch. I'll keep sourcing the material and I'll keep watching the ones I want to watch while ignoring the rest.

The thing about the UFC though, and MMA in general, is that sometimes a couple of no-name fighters can put on an incredible fight, which is what draws me to the prelims as well as to Bellator and ONE FC. Not guarantees of great fights ever, but you never know when you get that "holy shit" fight presented unexpectedly.

Peace!