Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Racing

Old Jul. 31st, '13, 1:32 am   #1
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,710
St. Louis, Mo
Default The Crew

Is there an open-world that's too big for even me? Well, since this is in the racing category, possibly

*EDIT* Game release is set for Spring of 2014

Coming to PS4, XB1, and PC is an arcade racer by Ubisoft. Most of OXM's article was about the sheer size of the game world. And it does sound crazy big.

Quote:
The game's map is essentially the map of the United States in it's near-entirety.
Quote:
It's not 1:1 scale, certainly, but it's still 3,000-plus square miles in size, and traversing it from coast to coast would take several hours...
They (OXM) took a trip from Las Vegas to Chicago.

Quote:
Take this virtual road trip, and you won't see a single loading screen. You don't even have to stick to the tarred roads
However, you don't have to drive everywhere of course. You can pop-in almost anywhere by viewing the map and selecting a spot.

Quote:
...with barely a beat skipped.
Quote:
The developers have wisely realized that most of us may not want to use The Crew for virtual sightseeing and would rather get stuck in its collection of missions and activities - - which it has in glorious, time-eating abundance. Fair warning: you might want to clear your schedule now.
I'm not sure this is one I'd rush out to get. I'm not even sure how interested I am in it. However, I loves me some open-world So considering there might not be a ton of game choices for me in the beginning (of the next-gen era), this one seems like a good rental or late buy when the price has dropped.

It also gets me excited thinking about RPG games and their world sizes

Trailer:

The early part of this video shows the (in game) map and how you can zoom in and out. C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!

As noted in the video, this is a camera video of a screen plus the game still has almost a year of development left.

Last edited by jujimum; Jul. 31st, '13 at 1:48 am.
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 4:54 am   #2
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.

Looks cool, I love open world racing games. I will be keeping an eye out.
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 7:53 am   #3
TwoBarrel
XBSHL

Aug 2008 1,463
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to TwoBarrel Send a message via AIM to TwoBarrel Send a message via Yahoo to TwoBarrel

I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 8:22 am   #4
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,687
Boston

This looks interesting, and it has potential. I'll be doing my Dominic Toretto impression as I follow the development of this game.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Old Jul. 31st, '13, 8:47 am   #5
JKGuy16
Nov 2008 1,438
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via MSN to JKGuy16 Send a message via Skype™ to JKGuy16

I was raving about this game last month at E3. Seems there has been very little coverage about it and it was essentially skipped over. I'm not big into racing games but the premise is fantastic.
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 9:34 am   #6
Canbanana
Bananercised
Jan 2013 337
Dallas

Considering the Devs are former Eden games employees I think it's safe to say this is basically Test Drive Unlimited 3. Test Drive Unlimited 2 took a lot of flak for poor car physics, buggy multiplayer, bumpy roads and a bunch of other things. That being said I still put 401 hours into it according to Steam, and I'm very interested in seeing how this game turns out. The total size of the map appears to be 3x the combined area of Ibiza and Oahu in TDU2 which should give it some serious cruising value. The club challenges look interesting, however if the multiplayer is anything like TDU2 it will seriously put me off. I constantly had issues where it would drop people from session, this is after going through the sometimes agonizing process of trying to get connected in the first place. Then to top it all off say you have a club of 20+ guys who all wanna play together and a limit of 8 people per session it can get pretty ridiculous with all the people bouncing in and out of the session and leaving guys on the sidelines that can't play with the rest of the group due to the size limitation. I'll probably end up grabbing the game, but it's doubtful that I'll day 1 purchase it considering the issues of TDU2.
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 9:39 am   #7
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,687
Boston

The car physics looked off in the game play video, nevermind that whoever was driving hit the NOS at least 3 times in a span of about 10 seconds lol. Its not all that encouraging to read these foljs have come up short before when it comes to driving physics. Still curious to see how this develops.

Old Jul. 31st, '13, 10:58 am   #8
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.

I just like cruising, I spent $250 on those steering wheels with a clutch and shifter and love nothing more than just driving just to drive. When I play GranTurismo I just practice at the top gear test track to drive around in circles lmfao
Old Jul. 31st, '13, 12:14 pm   #9
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 17,949
Toronto

The map is not big enough, they should have included Canada as well and that's why I probably won't get this game.

I agree Ray, I have the steering wheel, pedals and shifter just sitting at home collecting dust. I wish a great driving game would come out so I'd be inclined to use it.

Old Jul. 31st, '13, 12:27 pm   #10
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,687
Boston

I'd be tempted to get a quality wheel and pedals for the right next-gen driving/racing simulator/game - I have some space for that now.