Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Fighting

Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 12:47 am   #1
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada
Default UFC 165 was amazing

Great card, one of the better ones of the year, at least for me. Main event is MOTY candidate, what a battle between the two, amazing! The fight could have went either way, first 3 rounds were a tossup but JBJ had the last two. I had 2,4,5 for JBJ.
Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 1:00 am   #2
KT
Jul 2008 5,222
Vancouver, B.C

Yep, the best light heavyweight fight I've seen since Shogun and Hendo.

Click here to see full text
I also scored it the same way Spec, Gustafsson won round 1 and 3, Jones won 2, 4, 5 (48-47 for Jones). Gustafsson looked amazing the first 3 rounds but definitely slowed down the last two. That spinning elbow Jones landed in the 4th round changed the entire fight. From there Gustafsson didn't have much left. I still can't believe Gustafsson was the first guy to ever take down Jones. Great fight, Jones has some work to do. His boxing looked really sloppy tonight, luckily he had the gas tank and kick boxing to score points.

I know Jones went for a few takedowns but to me it looks like he has completely abandoned his wrestling. He used to just go for trip takedowns and ground and pound his opponents out effortlessly. Now he seems to think he can stand with anyone, but tonight Gustafsson fucked his face up really good. I'm glad that fight delivered! Everyone thought Jones would win easily.

Oh and Renan Barao will annihilate Dominic Cruz whenever he decides to start fighting again.

Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 1:25 am   #3
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada

Cruz should be stripped of the title, he hasn't found in almost 2 years, a title should never be on hold for that long.
Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 8:22 am   #4
TheBossCwC
Jaromir Jagr

Sep 2011 590
London, ON

It was the best card in my opinion also. Shaub was great and the Main event was the most entertaining fight ever.

KCCO

Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 4:54 pm   #5
Jordan9289
Pure Garbage
Jan 2009 843
403 Calgary, Ab

Amazing card last night. The main event was the best fight in years
Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 5:03 pm   #6
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,626
Canada

I watched some of the highlights this morning and man oh man it sure looked to be great,,,wish I could have watched it last night.....wedding anniversary and just couldn't swing it.....man that Jones/Gus fight looked like a war.

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Sep. 22nd, '13, 7:53 pm   #7
chazzzz84
I'm a Bear
Dec 2012 978
Lake Hills, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Winkle View Post
I watched some of the highlights this morning and man oh man it sure looked to be great,,,wish I could have watched it last night.....wedding anniversary and just couldn't swing it.....man that Jones/Gus fight looked like a war.

Peace

in my opinion...
It sure was great too! Felt JBJ lost but only won cause he is champ and he didn't so called "get dominated." JBJ first 6 take downs were stuff. Pretty impressive.

Hope there a rematch!
I'm a Bear ('''''\ ( ;....; ) /''''')
Old Sep. 27th, '13, 9:01 am   #8
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,731
Boston

I just watched this and I have to agree with Chazz in that JBJ was awarded the decision based upon his holding the belt. If Gus had been the champ with Bones challenging the decision would have gone the other way. In other words, absolutely fantastic fight and effort from both guys, who should be proud of their effort. Don't leave it in the hands of the judges if you want to guarantee yourself a win. Gus won that fight in my book, but it was close, so Bones gets to make history in defending the title while continuing his stint as Nike's poster boy for the sport.

Edit: yeah, I'm cynical like that about for profit events decided by judges.

Last edited by OSB; Sep. 27th, '13 at 9:07 am.

Old Sep. 27th, '13, 11:48 am   #9
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

I feel it is the result of them following the idiotic point method from boxing using these 10/9 rounds. They almost never hand out an 8 so despite one guy dominating a round, they barely get an advantage in the scorecard. Then the other guy squeaks out a round and somehow they are tied.

This isn't boxing and they should have used a different scoring system. Especially because the refs stop fights when there are rounds that are generally scored as 8's unlike boxing.

I felt Gustavson won the fight overall but Jones squeaked out the rounds.
Old Sep. 27th, '13, 2:39 pm   #10
BleedBlueBlood
Toronto Owner/Captain

Jun 2008 18,292
Toronto

I'm sure there will be a rematch between these two.

I agree with Pete, the fight was so close that whomever the champ was, they were going to retain it.