Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Hockey > 2k Hockey

Old Jan. 12th, '10, 5:51 pm   #21
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

I just did a quick Google search and these are the top hits:

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1G...F-8&q=nhl+2k11

unless they are trying the dead duck playing possum routine and surprise everyone on Sept 12th 2010 with a game.

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Jan. 12th, '10 at 5:53 pm.

Old Jan. 12th, '10, 9:45 pm   #22
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,094
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
I just did a quick Google search and these are the top hits:

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1G...F-8&q=nhl+2k11

unless they are trying the dead duck playing possum routine and surprise everyone on Sept 12th 2010 with a game.
I know you don't pay much attention to 2k but I'm not sure if you remember just how long and how little info they released about 2k10. It wasn't until just months before release that they started releasing anything. And even then it was all pimping the Wii version. So I honestly don't think no info about 2k11 right now, with the hockey season barely half way over, is anything to worry about. I mean even EA hasn't released NHL 11 info, unless I'm missing something.

I do expect 2k to make some changes but I'd be guessing it's either the game becoming a 360 exclusive, which I don't see considering how much they've put behind the Wii version. Or they will drop the PS3 version, which is more likely as they never did patch the PS3 version.

I'd honestly be shocked if there is no form of NHL 2k11 come September.
Old Jan. 13th, '10, 5:42 pm   #23
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Jeffrey, I am really not trying to be a prick at all here but the FACT that NHL 2K11 was left OFF the list of upcoming titles possiblly means that there WILL NOT be an NHL 2K11 AT ALL. I am not saying anything about releasing information about the game, of course it is too early to do that, 2K has left NHL 2K11 OFF the list.

They promoted it late last year since the EA hype machine was in full swing and they really had nothing earth shattering to announce.

I am not sure if you read the Google link I provided or not but it is not a rumour it is FACT that they are looking at NOT releasing the game.

Old Jan. 13th, '10, 7:34 pm   #24
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,094
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Jeffrey, I am really not trying to be a prick at all here but the FACT that NHL 2K11 was left OFF the list of upcoming titles possiblly means that there WILL NOT be an NHL 2K11 AT ALL. I am not saying anything about releasing information about the game, of course it is too early to do that, 2K has left NHL 2K11 OFF the list.

They promoted it late last year since the EA hype machine was in full swing and they really had nothing earth shattering to announce.

I am not sure if you read the Google link I provided or not but it is not a rumour it is FACT that they are looking at NOT releasing the game.
But the key word there is possibly. That's what were are talking about. All I'm saying is until 2k officially announces there is no NHL 2k11, I'd expect to see it come September. The only thing 2k has said officially is what you quoted before about them evaluating their games.

And yes, I saw your Google link but I didn't see any FACT or official statement that they weren't releasing 2k11. All I saw was the same story over and over about 2k11 being left off the year end financial report. So if you would, could you please point me to which story had 2k officially saying there would be no form of 2k11?
Old Jan. 14th, '10, 6:18 am   #25
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario

Quote:
2K Sports sure seems to be struggling right now. In the wake of Thursday’s announcement that parent company Take-Two expects to post a loss of $137.9 million this year -- which is largely the fault of poor performance from 2K Sports’ baseball games -- comes a rumor that the next installment in the publisher’s hockey series, NHL 2K11, may have been axed.

Yesterday, Pastapadre noticed that NHL 2K11 was nowhere to be found on Take-Two’s Q4 fiscal 2009 results in the section of games that the publisher is currently planning to ship in 2010. (Both MLB 2K10 and NBA 2K11 are listed on the report.) Chris Littman at The Sporting News’ FirstCuts blog asked 2K Sports for comment, and this is what a PR rep told him:

We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time.

That’s a damning statement if I’ve ever seen one. Littman pointed out that if NHL 2K is no more, the franchise appears to be dying the same death as the publisher’s College Hoops 2K series. After College Hoops 2K8 released in November 2007, the company remained quiet on the future of the franchise before announcing in January 2008 that it had ended negotiations with the Collegiate Licensing Company (which, as you may have guessed, controls licensing for college sports) and would not be making any more College Hoops games.
http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nhl...--158261.phtml

Quote:
However now there is an indication that NHL 2K11 may not be in development. In the Q4 fiscal report from Take Two on Thursday the games planned for the next fiscal year were laid out. Noticeably absent from the list is the mention of NHL 2K11.
One might think it was just an omission or the game was too far out from release to be cited. That is not the case though as NBA 2K11 is included and the NBA game comes out a month after the NHL game. The list is based on all titles planned for the coming year.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/18...of-cancelation

If I was a shareholder in Take Two I would want to know what the line up is for the upcoming season, see what the company has in the works and something to look forward too. To not list it is rather damning IMO. Shareholders in a company don't care about fans of the series, only the bottom line and if something isn't bringing the bread in.... cut it loose.

I am trying to post fact only, the story was picked up and it has been widely reported that the NHL series is dead for 2K as they can't keep up in sales. (at the end of October EA was outselling 2K 50-1) and 2K was smoking EA in NBA (but EA is catching up). The MLB exclusive license means they are locked into making the game even though The Show is hammering them. NHL with it's poor sales is a logical cut, much like NCAA Hoops series.

response from 2K:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/18...ing-nhl-series

Quote:
Late last night I posted an article regarding the lack of NHL 2K11 being mentioned in the list of titles for Take Two over the next fiscal year. NHL 2K had been included in the report in previous years making its omission glaring. The situation is mirroring that of College Hoops before it was officially canceled.
Chris Littmann at First Cuts was able to get comment from 2K Sports regarding the future of NHL 2K. As he points out the following statement speaks volumes as to the situation.
“We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time.”
It is safe to say that if they had been questioned whether there would be an NBA 2K11 the response would have been completely different. Certainly they would have wanted to put out the fire of speculation building and it would have been easy for them to do so. That they didn’t makes it seem even more likely that NHL 2K is on the way out.
Of course we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Jan. 14th, '10 at 9:14 am.

Old Jan. 14th, '10, 9:05 am   #26
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario

more take over talks for the troubled Take Two:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/12/20...ion-resurfaces

Quote:
After the fourth quarter fiscal report for Take Two arrived, which foreshadowed the likely end of the NHL 2K franchise, some more news came to light. Investor Carl Icahn revealed he has purchased additional stock in Take Two and now owns 11% of the company. His past history of intervention suggests he could pressure Take Two executives to seek a sale of the company. Kotaku has a full write-up on the situation that is worth reading here.
If it were to play out that way the obvious question is whether Electronic Arts would be interested again. Given the current circumstances of the market probably not, at least not at the price Take Two would likely be asking for. Last year EA offered $26 a share which was well over its value at the time. Take Two shareholders are regretting passing on that opportunity now while EA is likely relieved they haven’t had that increased drag on them since. In the time since the proposed deal fell through both companies have seen the value of their stocks fall.
Hopefully EA doesn't put another bid.

Old Jan. 14th, '10, 8:04 pm   #27
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,094
Columbus, IN

I'll just leave it at this, the only fact from the articles you stated above is that NHL 2k11 was left of Q4 fiscal 2009 results. That is a fact. The sale of Take Two, the end of NHL 2k11, etc all of right now is rumors. Does it look good for NHL 2k11, no. But as of now 2k has said nothing officially about there being no 2k11.

AS for EA buying Take Two, why would they? I honestly don't see what they'd gain out of it.
Old Jan. 15th, '10, 6:34 am   #28
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario

Grand Theft Auto and Bio Shock series, the staff for the NBA Series as well. The most important thing for me would be the fact that EA could revive the MVP baseball series and I can finally play a baseball game on the 360

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Jan. 15th, '10 at 6:36 am.

Old Jan. 15th, '10, 11:35 am   #29
slow elk
Champipple

Jul 2008 2,729
Winterset, IA

Quote:
Grand Theft Auto and Bio Shock series, the staff for the NBA Series as well. The most important thing for me would be the fact that EA could revive the MVP baseball series and I can finally play a baseball game on the 360
damn straight...I miss the MVP series.
Old Jan. 15th, '10, 8:08 pm   #30
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,094
Columbus, IN

Quote:
Take two is Grand Theft Auto? I knew they were BioShock and Oblivion. In your honest opinoin, would it really be worth it to EA to buy up take two to revive a 5 year old baseball game? One that I'm guessing they'd have to start form scratch rebuilding it for the 360? Granted aslong as it played as well as MVP 2005, it'd probably sell as much if not more then MLB 2k. Multi console baseball fans will still go with MLB The Show or atleast until MVP could compete which I'm sure would take a few years.