Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Baseball

Old Mar. 31st, '14, 10:02 am   #1
Zaunbie

Jan 2013 442
Halifax Nova Scotia
Mlb Opening Day is Here!

Its time fellas! The MLB season is starting and I am very excited. After a rough year last year my Blue Jays are looking to bounce back in a big way. We take on the Devil Rays today and I can not wait to watch an RA Dickey knuckler handcuff a rays player resulting in an embarrassing swing.

What I am looking forward too this year is a healthy Jose Reyes and Brett Lawrie. When Jose came over I was so excited, one of the best shortstops in the MLB, but then he goes and breaks his stupid ankle. Hoping for a big year from the Legend from Langley Brett Lawrie, the Jays Canadian talent is always going 110 percent and brings so much heart to the team.

Then we got the two huge batters, Jose and Edwin, some of the baddest mother truckers in the league, those guys can hit, and hit hard. Having these guys 3-4 in the order is a big deal for every pitcher in the league and getting passed them will be a challenge.

From the pitching side of things, we simply can't be as bad as we were last year, it just wouldn't make sense. Where the real hope is, is in the bullpen, we have 2 All-Star Pitchers (Steve Delabar, Casey Janssen) coming out of there with a third pitcher that used to be known for his stuff (Sergio Santos). If these guys pitch the same way they did the year before, with less injuries to the team then I see us being a hassle to play against for any team.

Where we have trouble? Lets just get it straight Melky Cabrera was great when he was on the roids, but in the outfield he is slow and doesn't have the greatest arm in the league. Unfortunately PED's are illegal so we will have to deal with a Melky that will hopefully hit .275. Also we don't have a second baseman, Ryan Gonis will be taking over duties at the 2 bag and who knows the kid may do well but odds are he hits 9 in the order and doesn't make a huge difference on the team.

Anyways fellas as you can tell I am excited, let me know who your team is and what you are looking forward to this up coming season. I LOVE BJ's!
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 12:25 pm   #2
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Listening to the Tigers V Royals game on the radio at work, wish I was at Comerica Park to see it Live.

One of these years I will be there for opening day

Old Mar. 31st, '14, 12:35 pm   #3
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,628
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

Yay!!

Old Mar. 31st, '14, 12:38 pm   #4
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,759
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

I love baseball. I played for 14 years and I watch regularly (although being overseas it is sometimes difficult). I love my Cubs but I am so tired of these horrendous seasons. We have some great young talent in our system but unfortunately the MLB club has been so bad that they usually get called up a too early. I am very much looking forward to seeing Mike Olt, Junior Lake, and Jorge Soler. Soler is considered our top prospect, after he defected from Cuba the Cubs won the bidding war with 30 million. They will also need a big year out of Jeff Samardzija.

All in all I am excited for baseball season as usual. I really am not expecting the Cubbies to make the playoffs but as long as they have a record close to .500 I will consider this season a success. I would LOVE to make it to one game at Wrigley as well but I am not sure that will be possible.
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 1:14 pm   #5
Zaunbie

Jan 2013 442
Halifax Nova Scotia

Latdogg that kid you have coming, Javier Baez, has one of the most powerful swings I have seen. If you watch the guys homeruns in slow-mo his back foot is always off the ground. That weight transfer is nuts! The ball has huge pop coming of his bat.
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 1:23 pm   #6
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 17,789
NE of TO

Zaun, I would love to agree with you as I'm a huge Blue Jay fan as well, but I can't. I don't think the BJs will make the playoffs....again.

Their starting pitching is just too weak, period, regardless of injuries.

Their offense will be very good and I think Melky will have a great come back year. He went through a conditioning program in the off season and he's in much better shape. Watching him in spring training, he looks like a different person from last season. I believe in him enough that I selected him in my fantasy draft (along with Encarnacion).

Old Mar. 31st, '14, 1:36 pm   #7
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,759
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaunbie View Post
Latdogg that kid you have coming, Javier Baez, has one of the most powerful swings I have seen. If you watch the guys homeruns in slow-mo his back foot is always off the ground. That weight transfer is nuts! The ball has huge pop coming of his bat.
Yes he had an amazing spring training and I expect to see him up in the bigs sooner rather than later. He really does have some great power. I think it will really come down to how he performs in the minors and how our infielders play. LAst year Castro and Barney were not playing close to what they are capable of and I believe that they are on pretty short leashes this season.
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 2:36 pm   #8
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,105
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

Love baseball as well and getting ready for a good season when everybody gets healthy for the rangers..lol..

I would probably be in Arlington today but since the move.. I got just a little longer drive to see baseball.. But will do it soon..
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 3:31 pm   #9
Thamps
Dish Master

Nov 2010 1,033
Send a message via AIM to Thamps

This is my favorite day of the year!!! Been watching baseball ALL DAY LONG SO FAR!!! Wooooooohhhhh!!! LETS GO BLUE JAYS!!!
Old Mar. 31st, '14, 3:59 pm   #10
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,790
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

So, thus far, Reyes and Janssen are hurt and Dickey is getting hammered.

I have suffered for years as a Mariners AND Jays fan, so I don't kid myself. Jays in fourth again.
#proudnewfie