Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Baseball

Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:11 am   #11
CSampson
H. Hammerstein #77
Jul 2008 3,118
Ottawa
Send a message via MSN to CSampson

Well, I am not a big baseball guy but all these off-season moves by the Jays really makes me want to follow them next season and learn the sport a bit more.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:14 am   #12
darktrc
Landeskoging

Jun 2008 3,264
Richmond Hill, ON
Send a message via MSN to darktrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott50 View Post
I agree with this. Not to mention that the AL has seen Tim Wakefield for the last 15+ seasons. I, personally, think Dickey will get beat around. His other season in the AL were disastorous.
He wasn't a knuckleball pitcher in his first stint in the AL.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:17 am   #13
JKGuy16
Nov 2008 1,588
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via MSN to JKGuy16 Send a message via Skype™ to JKGuy16

Anyone who thinks the Blue Jays are a lock to win what is going to be the most competitive division in all of U.S. Sports is going out on quite a limb.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:17 am   #14
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,769
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrc View Post
He wasn't a knuckleball pitcher in his first stint in the AL.
Which means they still have nothing to fear. He hasn't added anything they haven't seen before.

Don't get me wrong. I still think the team will have a good season, but I don't think they'll be serious Title contenders like most other people are saying (in the media).

#proudnewfie
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:34 am   #15
darktrc
Landeskoging

Jun 2008 3,264
Richmond Hill, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott50 View Post
Which means they still have nothing to fear. He hasn't added anything they haven't seen before.

Don't get me wrong. I still think the team will have a good season, but I don't think they'll be serious Title contenders like most other people are saying (in the media).
Small sample, but last 3 years VS AL 7-0 2.02 ERA, more importantly, vs AL East 4-0 1.71 ERA.

And yes they do have something to fear, unlike Wakefield, Dickey has 2 speeds to his knuckleball, your conventional in the mid-60s and a mid-80s knuckle. And unlike Wakefield at times, Dickey seems to have found the secret to controlling it on a consistent basis.

And even as is, not sure where the notion of Wakefield being knocked around in the AL East came from. He was almost 20 games over .500 in his career with decent 4.43 ERA (decent for playing in the AL East) and Wakefield wasn't even that good a knuckleballer. He did have games where he lost control and got smashed over the monster a few times, but with the way Boston was spending back in his day, if he wasn't successful, he wouldn't have been around for 17 years.

The deal costs a lot, and for a Cy Young winner, it should. But with the November blockbuster with the Marlins, the window is now and the Jays are all in. D'Arnaud was a lot to give, but he's been injured 4 times in the last 3 seasons, including a season ending one early last year. But yes, don't get me wrong, this guy has a chance to become the next Buster Posey/Matt Weiters. Syndeergaard may be good sometime in the future, but by the time he is ready, which doesn't sound like soon according to Ken Rosenthal (the BobMack of baseball imo), the window on Bautista, Encarnacion, Reyes and the other under contract will be closing. And these guys are not Mike Trout or Bryce Harper level prospects. They are elite, but the possibility of reaching the ceiling isn't as high as the two guys mentioned.

I had a hard time accepting the trade at first, but Arencibia's catching has improved significantly in the last year. He likely won't have to catch Dickey much if at all, as the Jays are getting Josh Thole, who is dubbed as Rickey's personal catcher. If this trade goes through, the Jays are title contenders, especially with the Yankees on the decline, the Red Sox trying to figure out if they want to rebuild or not (Ryan Dempster, LOL), Baltimore may or may not have been one-hit wonders, I think the Jays have a great chance of making the playoffs and contending for a title. With that being said, you may be right, things go wrong, and if there's anywhere things can go wrong in sports, it's Toronto. But at least it's something to be optimistic about. It's better than anything that's happened to Toronto since the Carter homerun in '93.

So Kabbs, if you're going to be a pessimist about the biggest offseason since the Carter/Alomar/Henderson era, you can't say you're a Jays fan, you're just a bandwagon jumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGuy16 View Post
Anyone who thinks the Blue Jays are a lock to win what is going to be the most competitive division in all of U.S. Sports is going out on quite a limb.
Not a lock, but believing we'll be contending for it for the first time since '93 isn't too far a stretch I think.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 11:54 am   #16
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,563
Canada

Its offical pending a physical. Dickey/Jays agree to 2yr/25mil extension.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 12:00 pm   #17
darktrc
Landeskoging

Jun 2008 3,264
Richmond Hill, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec0688 View Post
Its offical pending a physical. Dickey/Jays agree to 2yr/25mil extension.
That's cheap, considering the Red Sox shelled out 26.5 over 2 years for Ryan Dempster, this is a bargain. Oh yeah, he's just 5 mil this year. So we get himn for 3/30 vs Dempster. Haha.

Last edited by darktrc; Dec. 17th, '12 at 12:14 pm.
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 12:41 pm   #18
HE HATE ME 77
Banned
Feb 2009 488
East Rutherford, NJ
Send a message via MSN to HE HATE ME 77 Send a message via AIM to HE HATE ME 77

june of 2012 dickey got shelled by the yankees and got a no decision 6 IP 5 ERA 3BB 1Home Run let up ... the only reason he avoided the loss was he was taken out and the mets tied it after
[IMG]http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/nyr21135/TBSIG2_zps9e9f52dd.jpg[/IMG]
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 12:52 pm   #19
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

Between the NHL's eternal lockout and the Jays improvements, I might start watching baseball again. I was a massive baseball fan in the 90s when the Jays were great but them selling off the team and refusing to be competitive for 2 decades soured me on them.

Definitely willing to start paying attention if the owners are showing they are willing to at least try to be competitive. I may be a baseball bandwagoner but it's better than sitting through years of misery.

Go Blue Jays Go!
Old Dec. 17th, '12, 12:56 pm   #20
darktrc
Landeskoging

Jun 2008 3,264
Richmond Hill, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by HE HATE ME 77 View Post
june of 2012 dickey got shelled by the yankees and got a no decision 6 IP 5 ERA 3BB 1Home Run let up ... the only reason he avoided the loss was he was taken out and the mets tied it after
So if the Mets with their minor league lineup plus David Wright can bail out Dickey, why can't the Jays? He didn't have a 0.00 ERA on the season. That's baseball bro