Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:26 am   #11
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
The funny thing (well, maybe not) is I have many rookie cards of all these guys. Bonds, Conseco & McGwire (who was my all time fav player growing up, so I have quite a few of his cards). Shame the value of these won't be what they should be
The problem is in those times, card companies made FAR too many of them. There are too many out there which greatly diminishes their value. I have all these guys as well...Clemens rookie - $20 ...Mcgwire...about the same, Canseco...basically nothing. Bonds was the highest, but last I remember you could pick one up for around 50 bucks. Sad. The obvious steroid scandal hurt them too. Combine the two and there's you value in the shitter.
Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:32 am   #12
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,689
NE of TO

Yeah I know, not like the olden days....it's a shame I lost my Mickey Mantle rookie card.

Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:47 am   #13
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,093
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Amonte View Post
Would you guys still vote him in the hall? I know I would. I think he was the best player I got to see play the game in my time. I know he did the roids...but so did everyone else.
No. Reason: Until Pete Rose gets into the HOF, I don't think any of them should be. Yes Rose bet on baseball but he bet as a manager. I have no problem at all with him being banned from the game. But he's the All Time Hits leader, as a player he had a hall of fame career. To me what Palmiero, Mcgwire, Bonds & Sosa done was much worse, then keeping Rose out for something he done as a manager and not a player.
Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:50 am   #14
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,769
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
Yeah I know, not like the olden days....it's a shame I lost my Mickey Mantle rookie card.
You lost WHAT?

#proudnewfie
Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:56 am   #15
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,098
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott50 View Post
You lost WHAT?
ECHOING!!!!

I still have my cards and what good will they ever do me.. I had a nolan ryan rookie, well it was a nolan ryan/ Jerry koosman card ... and it was worth 1600 when i first got it.... Last i looked some 5 or 6 years ago it was down to 400 and probably worse even now... I had the Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie Upper Deck Card.. 160 back in the day.. maybe 20 bucks now...

Emmitt smith rookie, Troy Aikman rookie, Deion Sanders rookie... Shawn Kemp Rookie... Sheez.. All those cards... Not worth anything.. If when I got them, I sold them i would have been better off... Frustrating...

Wish it would comeback though.. Totally enjoyed collecting.. now I just see it as a rip off..

Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:56 am   #16
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,689
NE of TO

I kid...lol. But my cousin has one and I remember being so tempted to take it from him when I was a kid..lol. I let my good morals get the better of me and I'm sure he still has it.

Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:56 am   #17
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott50 View Post
You lost WHAT?
Yea! WTF??!?!

Edit-ok ok......almost flew to Toronto for a bitch slap session....thank you for the explanation BBB
Old Jul. 27th, '12, 11:59 am   #18
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,689
NE of TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosice View Post
I had the Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie Upper Deck Card.. 160 back in the day.. maybe 20 bucks now...
Yeah, I have quite a few of his too. He and Greg Jefferies were to 2 big "rated rookies" that year......Jefferies bombed. Why did Griffey's drop so much?

Old Jul. 27th, '12, 12:07 pm   #19
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,098
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

Gregg Jeffries..lol.. I remember i had a friend that would collect Alex van Dyke because he liked the name...lol.. And Oil Can boyd....lol For some reason when I would buy a pack a I would always get a Met... Those were the days... "Mom can we go by the baseball card store and buy a beckett..lol"

Old Jul. 27th, '12, 12:17 pm   #20
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,689
NE of TO

I'd just buy all my cards from a convenience store 2 blocks away from home named "Vito's" and yes, he was an Italian - most of my neighborhood was (I lived in downtown Toronto, east side). I even met a "godfather" once when I was in a pool hall and witnessed the kissing of his ring. That was interesting.....