Old Dec. 12th, '13, 4:33 pm   #51
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to xDementedSpuDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
Alright, I'm just a wee bit stoked right now since I just ordered parts for this HTPC/gaming rig build. The machine is going to be located in my living room and will hook into my entertainment center (via HDMI). It will be wired directly to the network, though I'm also upgrading the WiFi in the house to an ASUS router that has 802.11ac capability (5G band). I'm using a wireless keyboard/mouse (2.4G band) for regular PC use, and an XBox 360 controller for PC for gaming. I'll be running Steam for gaming, and XBMC for media (the 360 controller also works on XBMC). If all goes as planned I should have this sucker up and running before the holidays. The only thing I'm undecided on right now is the OS version (Windows 7 or 8), as I need to double check a couple of compatibility questions before I make a final decision there. Either version should work as far as I know, but I'd like to find out which one is less of a headache to work with for what I want to do.

Parts:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87X LGA-1150 ATX board
  • i7-4770K Quad Core 3.5 GHz CPU (yeah, I went Haswell)
  • GTX 780 GPU
  • Phantek CPU cooler
  • Corsair Force Series 128G SSD
  • Seagate Barracude 3TB HDD
  • Corsaid Vengeance 8G DDR3 (1866)
  • Corsair Carbide Air ATX Cube
  • Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
  • XBox 360 controller for PC
  • Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

Couple of things that I would change on that list.
1st being the phantek cooler. Go with the water cooling/closed loop cooler. Its more efficient, and its a SHIT TON quieter. I recommend the Corsair H series of coolers....they are reliable as the sun.
2nd is the Power Supply. While it is the one of the most important pieces, you dont need the gold. Themaltake's Tx 850 series is a bronze rated power supply with power rails, but it wont cost you 250 bucks....more like 130. I run them in all of my builds, and honestly....they are so reliable I would wholeheartedly recommend them, and they run so quiet....they are simply awesome.
Besides that, it looks like a sweet rig.
Old Dec. 12th, '13, 5:05 pm   #52
Revelations
Banned
Jun 2013 648
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
Alright, I'm just a wee bit stoked right now since I just ordered parts for this HTPC/gaming rig build. The machine is going to be located in my living room and will hook into my entertainment center (via HDMI). It will be wired directly to the network, though I'm also upgrading the WiFi in the house to an ASUS router that has 802.11ac capability (5G band). I'm using a wireless keyboard/mouse (2.4G band) for regular PC use, and an XBox 360 controller for PC for gaming. I'll be running Steam for gaming, and XBMC for media (the 360 controller also works on XBMC). If all goes as planned I should have this sucker up and running before the holidays. The only thing I'm undecided on right now is the OS version (Windows 7 or 8), as I need to double check a couple of compatibility questions before I make a final decision there. Either version should work as far as I know, but I'd like to find out which one is less of a headache to work with for what I want to do.

Parts:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87X LGA-1150 ATX board
  • i7-4770K Quad Core 3.5 GHz CPU (yeah, I went Haswell)
  • GTX 780 GPU
  • Phantek CPU cooler
  • Corsair Force Series 128G SSD
  • Seagate Barracude 3TB HDD
  • Corsaid Vengeance 8G DDR3 (1866)
  • Corsair Carbide Air ATX Cube
  • Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
  • XBox 360 controller for PC
  • Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU
Very, very nice good sir.
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/24wu541.jpg[/IMG]
Old Dec. 12th, '13, 5:28 pm   #53
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,715
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDementedSpuDx View Post
Couple of things that I would change on that list.
1st being the phantek cooler. Go with the water cooling/closed loop cooler. Its more efficient, and its a SHIT TON quieter. I recommend the Corsair H series of coolers....they are reliable as the sun.
2nd is the Power Supply. While it is the one of the most important pieces, you dont need the gold. Themaltake's Tx 850 series is a bronze rated power supply with power rails, but it wont cost you 250 bucks....more like 130. I run them in all of my builds, and honestly....they are so reliable I would wholeheartedly recommend them, and they run so quiet....they are simply awesome.
Besides that, it looks like a sweet rig.
Thanks for the heads up on the cooler Spud! I was satisfied with the cooling capabilities of the Phantek combined with the case type (and planned location), but I failed to consider noise, which is actually a rather big oversight since I do want this thing to be quiet.

As far as the PSU I agree with you completely in principle. That said, I'm "only" paying $144 for the unit, which I considered a minor cost differential in addition to the synergy of it going into a Corsair case along with some other Corsair parts. I tried to match up the GPU and MoBo as well in terms of what brand sticker they put on there, though I realize all that is theoretically just superstition. Now that I look at the list again that Phantek now looks like a glaring error that needs to be addressed immediately. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Very, very nice good sir.
Why thank you!

Old Dec. 12th, '13, 5:36 pm   #54
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,715
Boston

I caught the order just in time to cancel the Phantek and replace it with the Corsair H100i CPU cooler. Should all still arrive on Saturday in theory.

Old Dec. 12th, '13, 10:08 pm   #55
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

Nice build! In my system I didn't get water cooling because with my luck it would leak like I've heard stories of so I went with Noctua which is rated the best non water CPU cooler. If I got a real video card I'd have a serious gaming machine but for music stuff the onboard HD4000 is great and I run 2 monitors
Old Dec. 13th, '13, 3:07 pm   #56
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
Nice build! In my system I didn't get water cooling because with my luck it would leak like I've heard stories of so I went with Noctua which is rated the best non water CPU cooler. If I got a real video card I'd have a serious gaming machine but for music stuff the onboard HD4000 is great and I run 2 monitors
Penguin,
No need to be scaring people off now! lol. Seriously though what you have heard about leaking has everything to do with build it yourself water cooling. For instance, buying the radiator, processor block, egress and ingress lines, and add your own coolant. If OSB were going that route, I would say yes, go with a fan, but we are talking about a closed loop system. They simply do not leak. I have built roughly 80 PCs with the Corsair H series in them without a single problem. Never have any of them ever leaked. As a matter of fact, heres the issue with a fan cooler..........Firction!!! That fan is spinning around spinning around, endless spinning, and friction. Eventually, I dont care what kind of fan, quality or not, its not a matter of if it will die, but WHEN it will die. The fact of the matter is, closed loop water cooling is taking over at this point. there is no friction, and no theoretical heat. On top of that, OSB has room for a huge water cooled radiator built into the case.
Anyhow, if you read into the closed loop system, they have a lifespan of 200,000 hours. If you look into the fans......75k at best. Ok is 75,000 hours a lot?? Sure it is......but wouldnt you rather have 200,000?
I will not, and will never hesitate to use Corsair closed loops in my builds for customers.....I use them and sleep pretty well at night knowing how good the Corsair company is.

And for OSB......The reason why I was telling you about thermaltake, is because although Corsair is an EXCELLENT company, they excel at everything EXCEPT power supplies. lol.
Thermaltake gets the nod on the Power Supplies for me. I wouldnt worry though because that is a decent power supply. On the bright side, they stand behind their products 100% which is more than I can say about a lot of PC parts manufacturers.
In my builds i stick to brands which have never failed me........Thermaltake, Corsair, Gigabyte, Cooler Master, Toshiba HDDs, Samsung, Intel, Toshiba, & Sandisc SSD HDDs.
Old Dec. 13th, '13, 3:14 pm   #57
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
Also Penguin,
Knowing that you are a fellow home studio musician...........Dont you think all of those graphical displays, small virtual knobs, LED meters, Equalizers, mastering tools, mixers........What do you suppose runs all of that graphical glory? Yes the HD 4000. But you are also taxing your processor with that graphics solution.......you can free some of that CPU cycle with a decent graphics card you know! It could mean the difference between running 18 plug ins, and 25! LOL.
Seriously the modern graphics cards help alleviate some of that processing task directly to the card, and off of your CPU! Just an FYI lol.
Old Dec. 13th, '13, 6:32 pm   #58
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDementedSpuDx View Post
Also Penguin,
Knowing that you are a fellow home studio musician...........Dont you think all of those graphical displays, small virtual knobs, LED meters, Equalizers, mastering tools, mixers........What do you suppose runs all of that graphical glory? Yes the HD 4000. But you are also taxing your processor with that graphics solution.......you can free some of that CPU cycle with a decent graphics card you know! It could mean the difference between running 18 plug ins, and 25! LOL.
Seriously the modern graphics cards help alleviate some of that processing task directly to the card, and off of your CPU! Just an FYI lol.
So you're saying I need to go shopping?? ..... But dear, Spud said so... lol
Old Dec. 13th, '13, 6:44 pm   #59
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,715
Boston

Worked for me SP.

Old Dec. 14th, '13, 10:22 am   #60
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey