Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Other Sports > Fighting

Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:50 pm   #21
tbatty
Facebreaker Lead Designer

Aug 2008 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
I really think you have the right approach with this. Also, thank you very kindly for your detailed responses, very much appreciated.
Cool, glad you agree.

And nah, the thanks is to you for reading. If there is one thing that working on new IP has taught me it's that getting awareness for your game is not an easy thing!
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:52 pm   #22
tbatty

Aug 2008 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by P403N1X View Post
online leagues , like a ladder system? I know Pixelslash will go nuts for that!!

I have to be honest Todd , I brought the demo down and really liked it. The more I play it the more I see what you are saying about it being more challenging and not just a button masher, there is a strategy and boy howdy I can only imagine what the full game will bring

September 3rd is the release date when will it be in stores?
Thanks - that's awesome to hear. We ship it out September 3 world-wide, it should be in stores between then and September 5 (the official 'street' date).
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:52 pm   #23
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Thanks for the responses thus far. We definitely appreciate you taking the time out to talk to us even though we assume this is probably a really busy time for you and your team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbatty View Post
Lose all 3 rematches and you drop back down the ladder to your previous opponent. Before the last rematch we also pop up a 'tip' to help clue you in to what you might be doing wrong and what that character's specific achilles is.
I really like that "hint" feature. Sometimes the obvious isn't always obvious and ends up being frustrating. I admit that I'm not above accepting a hint or two when I'm struggling.

Quote:
For the record, now that he has figured out each character and perfected the skills to do so, he can beat it in under 20 minutes. Which is pretty satisfying.
Sounds like an Achievement to me. Is it an Achievement for Xbox 360? Can you talk about Achievements? Will there be some odd/fun Achievements to earn? And for PS3 fans, will the game support the new Trophy system?
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:54 pm   #24
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,621
Canada

I think I read somewhere that when you perform a Facebreaker on a cpu opponent you receive a trophy of their bruised and battered head. If that is correct will you also receive similar trophies of say, user created characters if you “Break Their Face” on line?

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:55 pm   #25
tbatty

Aug 2008 22

Hey OldTimeHockey, watch this it might help. it explains how the whole boxer creation feature works and is pretty entertaining at the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3SqW3zovE
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 2:08 pm   #26
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

I have to admit, I am extremely impressed with the time you have taken in responding tbatty and want to thank you very much for the level of detail you are providing.

I don't have any questions as others are doing a great job asking them, but I am enjoying reading the answers, thank you.
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 2:09 pm   #27
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Quote:
Hey OldTimeHockey, watch this it might help. it explains how the whole boxer creation feature works and is pretty entertaining at the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3SqW3zovE
I bet Peter Moore got a chuckle out of this!! great vid Todd thanks!!

Old Aug. 13th, '08, 2:34 pm   #28
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,872
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

tbatty, I personally, as well as all of the others here, appreciate the time you have taken responding to each and every one of us. I read your post directly to me and will definitely give the demo another shot. The way you describe playing games right off the bat not knowing what to do and button mashing makes total sense and that's something I fell into a trap myself I guess. Being a demo, its sometimes tought to fully learn what all of the controls are, or even if you have all of the controls at your use in the demo. So even then it just turns into a quick mashing session. I'll go back and try to learn what you say to look for and see if my opinion has changed.

Being a gamer that primarily plays video games either alone offline or with people over XBOX LIVE, the "party" aspect of this game has no effect on me. And since I do not rent games and purchase everything completely brand new, its an honest fear to have slapping down $60 for something you may or may not like. The fact that someone from the team making the game has taken the time to listen and comment scores big in my book.

Old Aug. 13th, '08, 2:56 pm   #29
tbatty

Aug 2008 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
I really like that "hint" feature. Sometimes the obvious isn't always obvious and ends up being frustrating. I admit that I'm not above accepting a hint or two when I'm struggling.
We added that REALLY late, too! haha. When we were focus testing people would just get 'stuck' on a fight. They just couldn't figure it out. They would lose 5, 10, 15 times to the same guy. Let me tell you it was painful to watch. So, one focus session when someone got stuck on Spin (he just kept standing there trying to trade punches with him and getting his ass kicked), i leaned over to the guy and said "Only an idiot would stand toe-to-toe with the fastest fighter in the game. Dodge one of his punches and then throw him off of you and watch his fists." or something to that effect. The guy looked at me like 'huh'? and i just walked away. About 5 minutes later I heard this "AHHHHHHH HAAAAA!" and about 2 mins later he beat him. So we decided right then and there that we needed a formal hint system. They are all a little vague (like the one mentioned above) but if you read into them properly you will figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
Sounds like an Achievement to me. Is it an Achievement for Xbox 360? Can you talk about Achievements? Will there be some odd/fun Achievements to earn? And for PS3 fans, will the game support the new Trophy system?
You are totally right, that would have been an awesome achievement. We do have one for just beating the game on impossible, which is hard enough. It's worth 10 points. hahaha. We figured that would make being in the facebreaker 1000 point club (all achievements) pretty cool.

As for PS3 trophies we didn't connect with Sony early enough to make this happen in the retail version but it's something we are looking at for the future for sure. Here are the achievements in the game, there are some pretty fun ones in there:

http://www.360sync.com/2008/08/08/fi...r-achievements

Enjoy!

Last edited by tbatty; Aug. 13th, '08 at 3:04 pm.
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 2:59 pm   #30
tbatty

Aug 2008 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Winkle View Post
I think I read somewhere that when you perform a Facebreaker on a cpu opponent you receive a trophy of their bruised and battered head. If that is correct will you also receive similar trophies of say, user created characters if you “Break Their Face” on line?

Peace
Absolutely. In fact, that is the whole purpose of the trophy heads. Winning a trophy head of a character in our game can be done offline, so that wouldn't really be adding anything to online fighting. So, if you are fighting someone online who is using a created character (themselves or anyone else they might have created) and you break their face you will win a trophy head of them, all battered and bruised and deformed, to hang on your trophy wall to remind them forever of the beating you gave them. We figure this will add a cool 'headhunting' element to fighting online and be the ultimate bragging rights tool.