Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Other Sports > Fighting

Old Aug. 12th, '08, 2:34 pm   #1
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0
XBS FaceBreaker interactive Q&A

It is my pleasure to announce that XBS will be hosting an interactive Question and Answer session with Todd Batty ( Facebreaker Lead Designer ) Todd will be checking in every so often to answer any questions you may have about EA Sports upcoming Facebreaker Title!!!

For those that have downloaded the demo you will most likely have some questions for Todd and please post them here, they will be answered as quickly and accurately as possible, I can't wait for this title to drop since it will be blast!!

I will start things off with this question :

Todd: I read that people will be able to import their faces into user created characters and fight online , "'real-time facial deformation'" is part of the game how hard is this to implement?

I can see this game appealing to a broad range of people, what is your target group?

*please keep questions on topic and relating only to Facebreaker.

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Aug. 12th, '08 at 2:38 pm.

Old Aug. 12th, '08, 2:38 pm   #2
CSampson
H. Hammerstein #77
Jul 2008 2,925
Ottawa
Send a message via MSN to CSampson

Played the demo for quite a bit.

Question: I can see the appeal for a more mainstream audience, but what exactly about the game will keep people playing it long term (in terms of depth?)
Old Aug. 12th, '08, 3:22 pm   #3
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

what downloadable content is in the works?

i.e. more characters or rings etc...

Old Aug. 12th, '08, 3:28 pm   #4
Jepockn

Jun 2008 2,591
Regina, SK
Send a message via MSN to Jepockn

is there any sort of customizable arenas/stadiums? and if not how many rings/stadiums is there in total?

what are the different locations you can fight at?

is there any sort of online league/tournaments available?

Old Aug. 12th, '08, 3:32 pm   #5
Jepockn

Jun 2008 2,591
Regina, SK

what type of progression will be in the single player mode/career? will you earn cash by winning fights to allow you to upgrade/buy new items for your fighter?

Old Aug. 12th, '08, 3:54 pm   #6
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,621
Canada

First of Todd I want to thank you and your team for releasing the demo, I am having a blast with it, it brings me back to the days of “Punch Out”.

Q1: I believe Facebreaker will be the first game released under the newly branded label “EA Sports Freestyle”, what exactly does this label represent?

Q2: Which parts of Facebreaker do you feel the team really nailed in regard to the focus of the EA Sports Freestyle label?

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 1:37 am   #7
tbatty
Facebreaker Lead Designer

Aug 2008 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by P403N1X View Post

I will start things off with this question :

Todd: I read that people will be able to import their faces into user created characters and fight online , "'real-time facial deformation'" is part of the game how hard is this to implement?

I can see this game appealing to a broad range of people, what is your target group?
First off, thanks for the intro and thanks everyone for letting be a part of your community.

You are absolutely correct, you can import your face into facebreaker using the photogameface technology. Here's a link to an entertaining video that explains what it's all about and how easy it is to do, even if you don't have a vision camera:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2820/faceb...-face-tutorial

And you are also correct, your custom character takes on all of the damage and real-time deformation that occurs in the game. It's really quite disturbing. But in a good way.

Finally, we set out to make this game for teens and early 20-somethings, thinking we could deliver to that audience a Punch-out-like experience for their generation. But, the funny thing is that there were so many fans of that game and R2R that we have had almost as much interest from older gamers. This is not only because of the positive memories of those great games, but also because we built our gameplay to really try and re-capture what was great about old-school games in general - deceptively simple but balanced controls/mechanics that allow 2 friends to quickly compete on a fair and even playing field, where the winner of any given match is the person who used those same tools better than his opponent.
Old Aug. 13th, '08, 4:05 am   #8
Jepockn

Jun 2008 2,591
Regina, SK

this sounds like a very cool game..should be a lot of fun to sit around with a few buddies and just have some good ol fashion fun

Old Aug. 13th, '08, 7:11 am   #9
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario

Ready 2 Rumble... man the hours I spent on that game!! good times for sure. Facebreaker looks to build on the success of that game with unique features, I read that there are in excess of 30,000 created boxers to date is that true?

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Aug. 13th, '08 at 7:16 am.

Old Aug. 13th, '08, 9:48 am   #10
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,873
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

Thanks tbatty for taking the time to come speak with us.

I was actually extremely looking forward to this game, and after playing the demo I couldn't help but think that its going to be just another button masher. Others here have tried to convince me otherwise, and I was hoping you could do the same.

I used the face generator from the demo using my camera, and even though I went through step by step defining the points on my face, the character looked nothing like me (other than the awesome physique j/k). Is the face generator in the demo completely indicative of what is included in your game? I have played other games that have face generation just from a headshot and a profile shot through the XBOX Vision Camera, and they look eerily like me, however they don't offer the depth of defining points on your face (eyes, cheeks, mouth, jowls, etc.) like your game does, so I guess I was expecting more from your face generator since it has more depth than others.

Like I said, I was completely looking forward to buying this game, however after playing the demo I am starting to think otherwise. Any comments you can offer that may make me change my mind back for the better?