Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Hockey > 2k Hockey

Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 5:48 pm   #1
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0
2k IGN First Look NHL 2K10

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996506p1.html

Quote:
"When it comes to hockey games I do have to say I'm a bit conflicted. Being from Minnesota(the state of hockey, folks) I'm love the game, played it up until high school, and frequent every game of puck out there regardless of console. Still, while both 2K and EA tend to evolve year over year in the direction of sim-like experiences I can't help but feel like we're losing the classic feeling of hockey found on systems like the Super NES or original Nintendo in the form of NHL 94, Blades of Steel, or Ice Hockey. If only there was a way to get the simple pleasure and balance of those games merged with a full-on, realistic hockey experience…

It's far too early to tell at this point, but that's exactly what 2K is going for with NHL 2K10. Don't worry, the game still looks the same (better, in fact) as far as style and realism, you've got every mode and option you expect from last year, but 2K as also mentioned that the company is essentially giving the true two year project it intended on back in 2007. Last year's game was fun and had a lot of options, but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update."

2K going the "arcadey" route?

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Jun. 22nd, '09 at 7:23 pm.

Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:07 pm   #2
DrugMonkeyRX
Pack it up

Jul 2008 7,221
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to DrugMonkeyRX Send a message via AIM to DrugMonkeyRX

....this is what comes to mind when 2k hockey is mentioned. Having said that, ill wait and see how the game looks this yr but my money is on the brown stuff.
Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:40 pm   #3
Jepockn

Jun 2008 2,591
Regina, SK
Send a message via MSN to Jepockn

lol what a picture, i am pretty excited for the online franchise mode though.

Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:51 pm   #4
infrb
GO SHARKS GO!!
Jul 2008 503
Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P403N1X View Post
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996506p1.html

2K going the "arcadey" route?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure how to put this, but whenever a competing product is ever mentioned here it seems like you take a jab at the product, saying the EA product is much better. Granted, 2K hockey hasn't been great lately, and the network errors in the MLB and NHL series are frustrating beyond belief, but as a community leader/rep I don't think you should be taking those shots. I do agree with you that the products aren't good, but coming from someone in your position, those comments should be left to the regular members who don't hold leadership positions.

Just my take and something I noticed. Don't tar and feather me please

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Jun. 22nd, '09 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 6:54 pm   #5
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrb View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure how to put this, but whenever a competing product is ever mentioned here it seems like you take a jab at the product, saying the EA product is much better. Granted, 2K hockey hasn't been great lately, and the network errors in the MLB and NHL series are frustrating beyond belief, but as a community leader/rep I don't think you should be taking those shots. I do agree with you that the products aren't good, but coming from someone in your position, those comments should be left to the regular members who don't hold leadership positions.

Actually Rob is a big fan of 2K's The Bigs 2 and has stated that in The Bigs 2 thread... I don't have a problem with him stating his opinion as he is a gamer first and foremost and a leader second in my opinion. EA has had a superior product with the NHL series the last few years and 2K's MLB series has been absolutely horrible, as stated by more than just us here at XBS.

Last edited by Synyster Diablo; Jun. 22nd, '09 at 6:56 pm.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 7:09 pm   #6
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

actually infrb is right and I will refrain from taking shots at 2K from here on out.

Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 8:29 pm   #7
infrb
GO SHARKS GO!!
Jul 2008 503
Bay Area, CA

Thanks Rob! good man

I hope 2K can eventually get it right. It's always nice having competition. No competition equals a crappy product. We all suffer in that regard.

I think 2K is hitting the casual market too hard. It's too bad because the core market is where they need to be focused to get the gameplay right. Make the casual features built on solid core game play, not the other way around.
Old Jun. 22nd, '09, 9:58 pm   #8
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrb View Post

While I will be the first to admit that I think Rob is a little over pro EA sometimes, when it comes to 2k's NHL series, I can't blame him. 2k hockey hasn't done jack on this gen of consoles. The last decent product was NHL 2k6 for the Xbox. I used to be a big 2k guy and even I couldn't stand to even look at 2k9. The players and skating looked horrible.

I do wish they get their crap together and start making a decent game again. Really loved all the online options they had for leagues. But I do have to tell ya, the following quote form the IGN aroticle has me scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Just like 2K9 the game is faster, a bit more on an arcade-slant over something like EA's series
Old Jun. 23rd, '09, 8:49 pm   #9
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario

I guess I don't disguise it well enough anymore lol!

I would love to see 2K Sports make a come back, competition is great for us as consumers, it's funny when you look back over the last 10 years and see a momentum swing in every sport title between the two companies. The ebb and flow is good but I prefer more constancy

Old Jun. 27th, '09, 6:46 am   #10
canucksss
Mar 2009 453
seattle, wa & langley, bc
Send a message via AIM to canucksss Send a message via Yahoo to canucksss

well some guys here can testify that i love playing the 2k series UNTIL 2007, where i EA and having the 2k7 (my last 2k nhl). and every year after, you could see (and feel) the gap becomes bigger and bigger. until they 2k improves their graphics and go back to being SIM style, ill be playing EA for awhile.