Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > PC

Old Jan. 16th, '13, 12:33 pm   #1
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,727
Boston
Lightbulb I'm going to build a gaming rig.

My current PC is about 7 years old and isn't capable of running current PC games at the settings I prefer. I'm going to wipe that machine completely, and reconfigure it to run Linux as well as host a VPN for my family and I to use.

I'm going to put my two oldest boys (ages 10 and 8) to the task and have them help me build a new gaming rig, in an effort to take their interest in games and computers to the next level. This is the the current list of parts I've put together, and I'm going to take a bit more time to share this build to get some feedback, to ensure I'm on the right track; it has been more than 10 years since I my last build and I'm admittedly a bit out of the loop.

It should be a fun project, and it should yield a gaming rig that can run current and near-future games at maximum settings.

Here are the details:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1401.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 12:25 EST-0500)

Old Jan. 16th, '13, 1:02 pm   #2
ShoalinCowboy76
Goonie for Life!

Dec 2008 1,597
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Send a message via MSN to ShoalinCowboy76

It all sounds good. I'm more of an AMD guy myself but to each their own. Just make sure your power supply is sufficient to run all your components. The Ultra LSP series are great and affordable and modular so you only have to use the wires you need. No extras just hanging around in there.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
Old Jan. 16th, '13, 1:36 pm   #3
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,727
Boston

Yeah I wanted to make sure I could keep it as clean as possible on the inside; I really hate having wires all over the place. To run everything I have I'll need about 395W, so the 650W should be more than enough.

Old Jan. 16th, '13, 1:48 pm   #4
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalinCowboy76 View Post
It all sounds good. I'm more of an AMD guy myself but to each their own. Just make sure your power supply is sufficient to run all your components. The Ultra LSP series are great and affordable and modular so you only have to use the wires you need. No extras just hanging around in there.
Props for being an AMD fan (I work there)
Old Jan. 16th, '13, 1:51 pm   #5
Makakk88
Just Joe

May 2011 1,173

The power supply is one of the most underrated part of a computer. It's not only about the Watts, it's about the Amps.

Also, fractal cases are awesome. You can add a couple of fans to cool it and it's one the most silent case I ever had. Plus they look great.

Old Jan. 16th, '13, 2:03 pm   #6
ShoalinCowboy76
Goonie for Life!

Dec 2008 1,597
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Send a message via MSN to ShoalinCowboy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus510 View Post
Props for being an AMD fan (I work there)
Do you get an employee discount?
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
Old Jan. 16th, '13, 5:03 pm   #7
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalinCowboy76 View Post
Do you get an employee discount?
Lol I do.
Old Jan. 20th, '13, 11:00 am   #8
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,727
Boston

Well I started building yesterday with my oldest son, the younger boy wasn't as interested in helping. I was waiting still for the optical drive to be delivered - I had purchased it on Wednesday and paid for two day shipping.

Everything went smoothly, and everything fired up as expected when I completed the external test build, so I moved on and started to build and set up inside the case. Unfortunately the optical drive never showed up, and when I checked the tracking information I saw that the delivery status had been changed from "out for delivery" to an estimated delivery date of Monday. Disappointing, but merely a "first world problem" in the great scheme of things.

My older PC, which I will turn into a Linux box, needs an optical drive also so I had considered heading out to a store and buying one today. However, today's is the prestigious/elite Mavericks surf contest here in Half Moon Bay, and we're expecting about 10K people and media to invade our small town; going anywhere today is going to be a traffic nightmare.

So for now the build has been set aside until I can get an optical drive to complete the job. A final update will follow once the build is done and I'm up and running.

Old Jan. 20th, '13, 3:24 pm   #9
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,727
Boston

I called a small mom and pop electronics store here in town, and they happen to have an optical drive I can put to use. I wanted to avoid the massive logjam of traffic so I rode my bicycle into town and back - 90 minutes well spent (and I definitely needed the exercise). I'm getting ready to finish the (hardware portion of the) build.

Old Jan. 20th, '13, 6:00 pm   #10
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,727
Boston

I'm up and running!