XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
Search Forums:
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > PC

Old Dec. 9th, '13, 9:40 am   #1
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99
 
Jeffrey99's Avatar
Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99
Offline
Default Photoshop questions for a newb...

First, long time no see. LOL We moved back in August and pretty sure we moved back in time, during the process. LOL From what I was able to find out, there is no DSL available at the home. It appears 2 different companies offers service about 2 miles both directions from my house but so far, neither appear to have plans to come rest of way. LOL So as of right now only internet we have is sharing our Verizon Wireless internet from our phones. We plan to buy a house 2nd half of next year, so I'll make sure internet is available before we buy. LOL

On to my question, wife and I are starting to get into photography. I've downloaded the trial to Lightroom and like some of the features it offers but it's doesn't appear to be a true photo editor, so thinking about trying to get Photoshop. However after looking at their site, they have like a million different versions.

So my question is, is there any version you guys would recommend for general photography editing? Is there any problem with buying a older version used? Or is there a different software you guys would recommend? I've only ever used Paint Shop Pro (old old days) and Paint.net.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 9th, '13, 1:21 pm   #2
jujimum
Custom User Title
 
jujimum's Avatar
Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo
Offline
Default

I have limited experience but I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an older version. Especially if you're just getting into it.

Of course it's always fun to have the latest and greatest but in my opinion, many of the newer bells and whistles are for professionals or those that have been using PS for a while.

Also, if it's for photography, you might want to look into Photoshop Elements as a MUCH, MUCH (...much) cheaper alternative. Gives you plenty of tools to work with at a fraction of the cost.

Lightroom is great, by the way, if you're using it to enhance RAW images.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 9th, '13, 1:38 pm   #3
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to xDementedSpuDx
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
First, long time no see. LOL We moved back in August and pretty sure we moved back in time, during the process. LOL From what I was able to find out, there is no DSL available at the home. It appears 2 different companies offers service about 2 miles both directions from my house but so far, neither appear to have plans to come rest of way. LOL So as of right now only internet we have is sharing our Verizon Wireless internet from our phones. We plan to buy a house 2nd half of next year, so I'll make sure internet is available before we buy. LOL

On to my question, wife and I are starting to get into photography. I've downloaded the trial to Lightroom and like some of the features it offers but it's doesn't appear to be a true photo editor, so thinking about trying to get Photoshop. However after looking at their site, they have like a million different versions.

So my question is, is there any version you guys would recommend for general photography editing? Is there any problem with buying a older version used? Or is there a different software you guys would recommend? I've only ever used Paint Shop Pro (old old days) and Paint.net.

Thanks in advance.


Jeffery,
I have been using photoshop for probably around 13 years. It is an excellent application, but like Juji said, it is quite expensive for what you get. If you are a professional photographer, then I can see splurging for the full suite, but for people that just use it on occassion, or someone just getting into it, I suggest the yearly subscription. Adobe has a monthly fee, and has Photoshop in the cloud. I dont know how much it is, but you can try it for a few months to see how you like it.

Your other alternative is to download gimp. Gimp is a freeware application that pretty much does EVERYTHINg that photoshop does, but for free. Yes the naming conventions will be off, meaning that its not called the "eraser tool" etc etc. They have their own naming conventions that differ from photoshop talk. I have used and recommended gimp to many people, and they have always done pretty well with it.
Any questions, give me a holler.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 9th, '13, 1:43 pm   #4
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99
 
Jeffrey99's Avatar
Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
Also, if it's for photography, you might want to look into Photoshop Elements as a MUCH, MUCH (...much) cheaper alternative. Gives you plenty of tools to work with at a fraction of the cost.

Lightroom is great, by the way, if you're using it to enhance RAW images.
After posting this and doing more research, I saw Elements. Gonna downloaded the trial and try it out tonight. It's on sale right now for $70 from Adobe (normally $100). Cheaper then Lightroom or even a used full blown older PS.

I like Lightroom for the easy white balance adjustment but I can do same thing with the software that came with my Nikon camera, it's just not as easy. LOL So gonna play with Elements but as of now, think I'll lean more that way then Lightroom. Or maybe try and talk wife into both of them. LOL
Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 18th, '13, 7:22 am   #5
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99
 
Jeffrey99's Avatar
Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99
Offline
Default

Downloaded Elements. Think I'll end up purchasing that. On sale right now for $80. I like Lightroom for easy white balance fix but my camera editing software also has that, just not as easy. Think Elements is money better spent then Lightroom. Especially right now, my camera doesn't shoot in RAW.

By the way checked out Gimp, Demented. It worked decent just think Elements is a better deal with it being on sale right now.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec. 18th, '13, 10:19 am   #6
xDementedSpuDx
Go Flames!
Oct 2008 275
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to xDementedSpuDx
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
Downloaded Elements. Think I'll end up purchasing that. On sale right now for $80. I like Lightroom for easy white balance fix but my camera editing software also has that, just not as easy. Think Elements is money better spent then Lightroom. Especially right now, my camera doesn't shoot in RAW.

By the way checked out Gimp, Demented. It worked decent just think Elements is a better deal with it being on sale right now.
Jeffery,
Photo software is subjective. You have to go with what you feel comfortable with, otherwise it will never work.
I just threw a few options out there, and yes, I did not know that you were throwing elements into the mix, I was under the assumption you were looking at the full sutie.

I have used Elements, and while not the most comprehensive piece of software, it does everything in a simple to understand manner that works for everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Site Styles
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:33 am.
Contact Us - XBox-Sports - Archive - Top
Menu Links