Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Hockey > EA Hockey

Old Sep. 14th, '13, 6:44 am   #11
Blaklash
Stick Puck Leader
Jan 2012 1,254
McLean, Virginia

Yeah two-way Dman is definitely the way to go again this year, at least compared to the Def-Dman, in my opinion. You won't miss the 2-point cap decrease in d-awareness or the 5 points on stick check, and since strength is much more important in this version, having an 83 cap would be annoying. Combine that with the better skating of the two-way and I think it wins out over the other builds.
Old Sep. 15th, '13, 10:25 am   #12
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,124
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentMP View Post
Only 83 str for a Def Dman? Really EA? I think it should at least be 88 or 90, considering the checking and aggression can be so high.
Hey guys, it looks like I messed up. The Defensive Dman's strength cap is 93, not 83. Sorry. Thanks for bringing that up Violent, it did seem a bit weird.

Last edited by SoulControlla99; Sep. 15th, '13 at 10:34 am.

Old Sep. 15th, '13, 1:41 pm   #13
KT
Jul 2008 5,132

OFD template is the most useless.

TWD is very versatile, and probably the most popular. I used that to get to Superstar 3, and no complaints about that one.

I've started using the DFD template recently and i'm actually starting to really like it. The 95 D awareness and 95 stick checking is unreal, it's so easy to pokecheck and stick lift. It's nice to have a really hard slapshot too! The passing is hit or miss, you just have to be really careful with it. You're not going to be able to make long stretch passes like you can with a TWD.

Old Sep. 15th, '13, 2:14 pm   #14
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,942
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to kdfsjljklgjfg Send a message via Skype™ to kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
OFD template is the most useless.
At this point? Probably. But like the last 2 games, I might switch from TWD to OFD when I get to the Legend level with most of my boosts.

By that point, you have enough defensive XP to mostly fill stick-checking, defensive awareness, and discipline, with a decent enough number into shot blocking.

So long as you don't plan on hitting much (I don't like hitting as a d-man, too risky if you miss), then OFD can work out well, and it looks like you can have a lot of ability to carry the puck up more with OFD than TWD. Just my 2-cents.

Mr. Utility
Old Sep. 15th, '13, 2:35 pm   #15
KT
Jul 2008 5,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfsjljklgjfg View Post
At this point? Probably. But like the last 2 games, I might switch from TWD to OFD when I get to the Legend level with most of my boosts.

By that point, you have enough defensive XP to mostly fill stick-checking, defensive awareness, and discipline, with a decent enough number into shot blocking.

So long as you don't plan on hitting much (I don't like hitting as a d-man, too risky if you miss), then OFD can work out well, and it looks like you can have a lot of ability to carry the puck up more with OFD than TWD. Just my 2-cents.
I don't really hit much either. I found that the stick checking and D awareness was a bit too low for my liking (88 stick, 90 awareness) as an OFD. You really have to be perfect in your positioning to make pokechecks. I tried it out and maxed my passing and offensive awareness and the passing felt pretty much the same as a two-way defenseman.

Last year I used the offensive dman and loved it. Passing was effortless, and since the poke checking in NHL 13 was so much easier it didn't really matter what your stick checking rating was. I just find pokechecking more difficult in NHL 14' for some reason, that's why I like to use the DFD for that really high rating.

Everyone has their preference, so whatever works for you is definitely the way to go.

Old Sep. 15th, '13, 5:00 pm   #16
Nexus510
XBS Technician
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

This is the first game I have not used OFD. I started with TWD and I will probably end up sticking with that. I like having the best of both worlds And I don't feel like the extra 2--5 points is going to make a huge difference with switching to DFD but I might check it out

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Old Sep. 15th, '13, 6:17 pm   #17
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,778
St. Louis, Mo

Enforcer

Checking, Aggression, Fighting. What else would you need? Having those is worth the hit you take in speed, agility, accel....

Old Sep. 15th, '13, 7:19 pm   #18
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,744
NE of TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
Enforcer

Checking, Aggression, Fighting. What else would you need? Having those is worth the hit you take in speed, agility, accel....

says the guy who hates fighting

Old Sep. 15th, '13, 7:35 pm   #19
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,778
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
says the guy who hates fighting
My new motto is "All the other stuff is purely fluff!"

I passed on "Hitting and fighting make the games exciting."

Also passed on was "Up up down down check fight check fight!"
Old Sep. 29th, '13, 2:22 am   #20
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,603
Boston

Thank for this, as I reference it yet again.