Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Basketball

Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:28 pm   #11
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,769
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelslash View Post
and I hope it becomes frequent enough that we don't need threads like this and there isn't a NEED for someone to not "keep it private".
I didn't know how to word my response without sounding like a dick. You worded it a lot better than I would have.

I was going to say who cares and why do we even need to be making a big deal out of it. Which could've been taken in any way. My point was I don't feel like this even has to be an issue. However, as you stated, it is an issue with some people so that's why people (those coming out) need to make it a big deal.

See what I mean? I can't word it. Basically, I couldn't care less so I think why make it a big deal. What you alluded to was by making it a big deal now, it won't be a big deal in the future (for anyone). And that was well said.

By the way, I'm guessing he's the first to be openly gay while still active? I thought there have been plenty who have come out but maybe after their career was over?
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:30 pm   #12
ShoalinCowboy76
Goonie for Life!

Dec 2008 1,652
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Send a message via MSN to ShoalinCowboy76

I agree with Pix on the fact that it is abhorrent that this is still an issue any any realm of conversation be it sports, politics, or just in general.

To have a prejudice against something that affects your life in an absolute zero capacity is one of the most absurd things I can think of. The fact that this is a story and something like poverty is ignored by a majority of people is baffling. How many times has this story about a gay ball player crossed your mind today and compare that to the number of times you have given thought to any of the actual problems of the world, like the needy, today.

I bet most peoples answer to that question would depress me. So should it depress all of us.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:33 pm   #13
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,769
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latdogg View Post
e. I think the media digs to deep and makes these guys feel "guilt" for not coming out. We are all humans ya know?
It's not just the media though. They have to worry about their teammates who, just in the past year, have been posting derogatory tweets for example. And to use the same argument, you could also say that they need to come out because they have this "guilt" among their teammates or within their self. Again, having problems wording it. We've all heard, and probably participated, in locker room talk. It's easy for that talk to get offensive even if it isn't intended to be offensive.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:37 pm   #14
JKGuy16
Nov 2008 1,588
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via MSN to JKGuy16 Send a message via Skype™ to JKGuy16

It does indeed need to be a big deal NOW so that 20 years from now, no one will care.

As early as half a century ago, whites shunned other races for being different. I can't even fathom that today.

Somewhat further back, women were 2nd class citizens as well.

To me, this is EXACTLY the same concept. It's a complete joke that anyone cares about someone's sexual preference. I'll never understand anyone's hatred toward someone else for simply being different than you.

The point that we are all humans is exactly right. We are ALL humans and deserve to be treated as such, not looked down upon for a reason as ridiculous as this.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:48 pm   #15
JKGuy16
Nov 2008 1,588
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via MSN to JKGuy16 Send a message via Skype™ to JKGuy16

Feel free to read all the comments from ESPN readers as to why this takes a ton of courage.

It makes me sad to think some of these people breathe the same oxygen I do.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 1:05 pm   #16
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Without going on a rant, this is just another step forward. And soon enough all the anti-gay crap will subside and this won't be a big deal what so ever.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 2:05 pm   #17
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,083
Winnipeg, Manitoba

There have been a few pro athletes who have come out AFTER their careers were over. Very recently an MLS player retired so that he could feel comfortable outing himself.

You wouldn't expect me to be the one to truly give a shit given the mouth on this asshole, but having a gay best friend for most of my life exposed me to a lot of what they go through and it is disappointing to say the least. The hatred is rooted in three major sectors: men afraid of being spoken to/ treated like a woman, religious-based intolerance, and the one that global society proves time and time again, that people want to be able to point to someone, ANYONE, and say "at least I'm better than them." So to accept gays for who they are and not make a big deal about it is ultimtely the correct path, but most of those folks NEED some of this positive attention at least at first because society is filled with so much hate.

To be honest I expected this would happen in the NHL first.
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 2:17 pm   #18
nosice
#1 TEXAN FAN

Jul 2008 3,090
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

I don't hate gay people, I just think its wrong... Simple as that.... I have a cousin who's gay and I love her to death but I still think its wrong... I liken it to beastiality, having sex with other animals... It's not biologically correct... And that's how I look at it...

Honest opinion.. It's not popular but I do think its wrong...

Personally I think we know too much info on these bums in sports .. Take ray Lewis story... Wouldn't it be nice to just grade the guy on how he played football... But you say ray Lewis and you get murder cover up... I like my sports like my grandpa like his coffee.. Black.. Give me the stats. I don't care who's up for a DUI or who Tom Brady has divorced or married. Or who's coming in or out... Just play ball.. Let it all just get sorted out on the playing field... Got enough real world problems myself to have worry to about anybody else's problems so they can play a game...lol

iPad autocorrect sucks!
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 2:54 pm   #19
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosice View Post
I don't hate gay people, I just think its wrong... Simple as that.... I have a cousin who's gay and I love her to death but I still think its wrong... I liken it to beastiality, having sex with other animals... It's not biologically correct... And that's how I look at it...
How people could ever compare the two absolutely blows my mind.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 2:56 pm   #20
Nico 916 Suave
Sir Gorgeous

Jul 2011 3,506
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm in the same boat of not caring who anyone prefers in their sexual life. Good for him to come out. That's a major step forward in that regard, however unless ALL the gays in sports start coming out after this all at once, it won't effect anything in 20 years. If nobody else does, and only this man does, the attention will subside, and there will be a huge breaking news story when the next one does. That's just how media works nowadays, people lose interest after some time and "forget" about it. (Not everyone does this obviously, but the vast majority.) I think people should be able to love whoever they want to love, but there's just too much of a stigma around still for one "outing" to really have a huge effect unless others follow suit in my opinion. Time will tell. Good for him though!
If you will it, dude... It is no dream. - Walter Sobchak