Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Basketball

Old Apr. 29th, '13, 10:50 am   #1
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,722
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50
Default Jason Collins becomes first openly gay athlete in major North American team sport

NEW YORK (AP) NBA veteran center Jason Collins has become the first active male professional athlete in the major four American sports leagues to come out as gay.

Collins wrote a first-person account posted Monday on Sports Illustrated's website. The 34-year-old Collins has played for six NBA teams in 12 seasons. He finished this past season with the Washington Wizards and is now a free agent. He says he wants to continue playing.

Collins writes: ``If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.''

Collins played in a Final Four for Stanford and reached two NBA Finals. His twin brother, Jarron, was also a longtime NBA center. Jason says he came out to his brother last summer.

This is truly a huge day in sports. We all know that there's bound to be some athletes out there that are gay, but this could actually be a step in the right direction for those fearing to come forward. Good for you Jason!

Last edited by kabbott50; Apr. 29th, '13 at 11:25 am.
#proudnewfie
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:30 am   #2
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

I have a good friend that just recently came out and told me 2 hockey players that are gay and he *knows them personally* if you know what I mean. I cannot divulge who they are out of respect, but they are both well known players. They have a rule about not wanting to know who else in the NHL is either, it's a pretty big secret.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:36 am   #3
Danzerino
The Future of the Habs

Jun 2008 2,571
Montreal, Quebec
Send a message via MSN to Danzerino Send a message via AIM to Danzerino

I do not see the big deal with this. Who cares about their private life which I personally do not care. I find this as being more for getting attention than anything else. Keep it private and thats it no need to say it publicly. Sure it is hard to keep it private but I do not see the point in stating this out to the public.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:39 am   #4
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,626
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

yeah its breaking everywhere now!! Good for him but i really don't see too many other people doing what he did. Sorry but there is still a huge phobia especially in the sports world!! Personally i don't think there should be but there is!

Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:40 am   #5
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Versus Hands

Jun 2008 17,604
The Elbow

I knew it! Ok, no I didn't.....but really, good for him! They shouldn't have to hide it.

Still think Lebron is though and Bosh could be....

As you skate across my blueline in the shadow of death, thou shall fear my evil - Sauerkraut 23:4
"My uncle Tretiak taught me everything I know" - Baron Von Sauerkraut
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:43 am   #6
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,626
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post

Still think Lebron is though and Bosh could be....
don't forget about wade!! lol

Old Apr. 29th, '13, 11:43 am   #7
JKGuy16
Nov 2008 1,588
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via MSN to JKGuy16 Send a message via Skype™ to JKGuy16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzerino View Post
I do not see the big deal with this. Who cares about their private life which I personally do not care. I find this as being more for getting attention than anything else. Keep it private and thats it no need to say it publicly. Sure it is hard to keep it private but I do not see the point in stating this out to the public.
Because there are a lot of bigots and hate-filled people in this world. Put yourself in their shoes. Even in the year 2013 we live in a world where someone is completely chastised for their sexual preference and mocked because they have different feelings about people.

This is about accepting EVERYONE and not essentially being forced to keep this a secret. It's about human rights, human dignity and human decency.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:03 pm   #8
Tony Amonte
Mark Rechhi Fan Club

Jul 2008 7,269
Not in Kamloops
Send a message via MSN to Tony Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGuy16 View Post
Because there are a lot of bigots and hate-filled people in this world. Put yourself in their shoes. Even in the year 2013 we live in a world where someone is completely chastised for their sexual preference and mocked because they have different feelings about people.

This is about accepting EVERYONE and not essentially being forced to keep this a secret. It's about human rights, human dignity and human decency.
Well said. Perfect actually.
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:09 pm   #9
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzerino View Post
Keeping things "private" is how this SHITTY ASS world dealt with the issue for centuries (and beyond). What did that do for those people that are gay? It got them ostracized by bigots and assholes who want to dictate how people should live their lives. It gave the close minded dicks the power to do it without putting a face and name to the people they belittle.

The fact that a player saying he is gay receives this much media attention and the fact he is the first is a huge blinking sign telling you that something is wrong when thousands of people are too afraid to be open about something so simple as love.

I for one am thankful that we now have someone with the courage to stand up and come out. It is about time that it happened and I hope it becomes frequent enough that we don't need threads like this and there isn't a NEED for someone to not "keep it private".
Old Apr. 29th, '13, 12:24 pm   #10
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,758
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

I "get" why this is a big deal but at the same time it is sad that this is news. Honestly the media gives to much attention to if people are gay or not. I personally am against it HOWEVER I would never care or mind if someone else was about that lifestyle. So who cares if athletes come out? As Danzer said, that is their personal life. I think the media digs to deep and makes these guys feel "guilt" for not coming out. We are all humans ya know?