Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > Gadgets and Other

Old Feb. 4th, '14, 3:24 pm   #1
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto
Default Polk Audio Gaming Headphones

On Thursday night I went to the post office to pick up my parcel from Best Buy. It contained my new headset that I ordered the day before. I purchased the new Polk Audio Melee headphones to try them out. Before this, I was a Turtle Beach guy, but when I learned last year that Polk Audio was going to get into the gaming headset market, I was excited. If you don't know Polk Audio, they make very good quality home audio equipment and I'm happy to say, the quality clearly shows in this headset.

I've been using them since then and I will say, these are the best that I have ever used. The quality is top notch and the comfort level is tremendous. I can wear these for hours and they are so comfortable, I forget they are on my head. The hardest thing for me to get used to, is that there is no mic boom in front of my mouth. The microphone is basically hidden into the left ear piece. You can use these for gaming, listening to your music on any device, answering your cell phone or watching a movie as it has a Dolby processor for 5.1 surround sound.

Now they are a little expensive being $199 but you get what you pay for

Melee Xbox 360® Gaming Headphones

In the first-ever collaboration of its kind, Polk engineers worked closely with Halo and Forza sound designers to create optimized custom EQ settings for the Melee that reveal more depth and realism than you've ever heard before.

Customized, optimized gaming EQs built in. Tailor your audio experience with four different Immersion Modes: Forza Racer, Halo FPS, Music and Cinema.

Compatible with Xbox 360, smartphones & tablets: take calls with the touch of a button.
Polk's exclusive thumb-reach Audio Mixer lets you adjust modes and listening levels instantly without taking your hands off your controller.

Retractable near-field gaming microphone is never in the way.

They are making a 4 Shot model speciically for the XB1, BUT I got the Melee's because of the extra EQ features AND they are sending a FREE adapter once you register your headset with them so that these will also work with my XB1. So I will have a headset that works with both systems

They come in 3 colors and of course I got the blue ones

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/melee

If anyone is looking to get a new headset, I highly recommend these!

PS Please remember, these are higher end audiophile type of head phones, so you won't get that booming bass from cheaper ones. Instead you will get a very crisp, sharp and accurate sounds.

Real gaming impact, real gaming audio.

When you're gaming, you want no-holds-barred performance. Anything less is just plain less. So go for the gaming headset engineered in collaboration with the game sound designers themselves. Polk's new Melee Gaming Headset is the result of the first-ever collaboration between the sound engineers of today's most awesome games and the audio experts at Polk. Designed to be the only headphone system you'll need for gaming, music and phone applications, Melee merges comfort with performance and strikes out in a whole new audio direction.

Working with the audio experts at Polk, the sound engineers of the best-selling games Halo and Forza Motorsport created four optimized gaming EQ settings for the Melee Headset. These four unique immersion modes, "Forza Racer," "Halo FPS," "Music" and "Cinema," deliver maximum performance and more thrilling listening experiences at the touch of a button. In comparison, other gaming headsets reveal themselves as tin cans!

"Polk brings a reputation for product excellence and a passion for sound that makes them an ideal collaborative partner for innovating new audio accessories for the Xbox One® and Xbox 360®," says Branden Powell, Microsoft Director of Strategic Alliances. "These new products are customized for all-in-one entertainment and will immerse users in brilliant sound, whether they are using the console to play a game, watch TV or a movie, or listen to music."

We're gamers, and we work with gamers, so we know what you want when it comes to gaming audio. You want fast response, big impact and all-around realism. Get it now, with Melee Xbox 360 Gaming Headset!

Features

The first-ever collaboration of game designers and audio engineers.

Customized, optimized gaming EQs built in.

Compatible with Xbox 360®, smartphones & tablets. Also upgradeable for compatibility to Xbox One, click here for more details.

Tailor your audio experience with four Immersion Modes (Forza Racer, Halo FPS, Music and Cinema).

Retractable near-field gaming microphone is never in the way.

Polk’s exclusive thumb-reach Audio Mixer lets you adjust modes and listening levels instantly without taking your hands off your Xbox 360 controller.

Onboard Digital Signal Processing delivers high definition audio impact.

Lightweight, ergonomic headphone design never gets in your way.

Spring Steel Headband with stitched leatherette padding, pivoting ear cups and comfortable, plush over-ear pads.

Polk Optimized Electro-acoustic Tuning (POET) delivers legendary Polk sound in a headphone: rich, immersive and realistic.

Dolby® Digital signal decoding when attached to the included Digital Signal Processor
Melee delivers the best headphone experience possible, thanks to Polk’s 40 years of innovative high performance experience.

All Polk products are made using the best materials and the most advanced manufacturing techniques. They pass the industry’s most exhaustive quality tests, and are built to perform for a lifetime.

Old Feb. 4th, '14, 9:59 pm   #2
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,634
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

good info, i will have to check them out when i am in the market for a pair.

Old Feb. 26th, '14, 3:54 pm   #3
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Just ordered the 4 Shot model after reading up on them. Looking forward to getting them next week in anticipation of Titanfall. Just need to pick up the Titanfall Controller now and I'll be good to go!
Old Feb. 26th, '14, 3:58 pm   #4
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus510 View Post
Just ordered the 4 Shot model after reading up on them. Looking forward to getting them next week in anticipation of Titanfall. Just need to pick up the Titanfall Controller now and I'll be good to go!
You could have got the Melee's and Polk will send you a free adapter for XB1 (comes this month), then you also get the extra built in equalizer settings. But the Melee's are $50 more.

Old Feb. 26th, '14, 4:07 pm   #5
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
You could have got the Melee's and Polk will send you a free adapter for XB1 (comes this month), then you also get the extra built in equalizer settings. But the Melee's are $50 more.
Yeah I thought about it, but it didn't really matter that much to me so I stuck with the 4 Shot. I would have done it if I was going to use them for PC and 360, but I already got my Triton for the 360 and Razer Kraken for the PC
Old Feb. 27th, '14, 3:44 pm   #6
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus510 View Post
Yeah I thought about it, but it didn't really matter that much to me so I stuck with the 4 Shot. I would have done it if I was going to use them for PC and 360, but I already got my Triton for the 360 and Razer Kraken for the PC
My Turtle Beaches crapped out on me months ago, so I wanted one's that worked with both the 360 and XB1. Let us know how you like the 4 Shots when you get them!