XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Graphics Help

Old Aug. 4th, '08, 10:02 am   #11
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,795

hey juji, do you like Serif PhotoPlus 6 better than paint.net program?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Aug. 4th, '08, 10:37 am   #12
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

hmmm what about for the mac users?
Old Aug. 4th, '08, 1:30 pm   #13
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolute View Post
hey juji, do you like Serif PhotoPlus 6 better than paint.net program?
As with all programs that have the same purpose, there are pros and cons. In the thread titled "Avatar", starting ->here<- I tried Paint.net. Two posts later I found my answer. It wasn't so bad that I deleted it right away though. I still have it. I just didn't like it for beginners (which technically I am).

I think Paint.net has potential and I might try it again if I have time. However, as for ease of use and mainly doing this tutorial for beginners, I found Serif to be a good start. While it doesn't have some things Paint.net or Gimp have, I felt that it was easier by a long shot. I tried all three programs and think Serif PhotoPlus is the easiest for beginners. Paint.net is about the same, I just didn't feel comfortable with it. Gimp was probably the best, but even I had a hard time adjusting to it so I didn't even know where to begin on doing a tutorial.

Paint.net also would crash on me everytime I tried to change fonts. Probably because I have thousands of them.

Having said all that, I really think my tutorial might work in Paint.net. Obviously the screenshots would look different and the tools wouldn't be exactly the same, but you could still find what you need I think since all these programs are similar. This tutorial kicked my arse because like GMB said, they are a lot harder to do than they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
hmmm what about for the mac users?
Alright, here you go. Go to Google.com, type in "free photo editor software Mac". If you need screenshots, I can post them

Seriously though, I don't have a Mac. I only used a Mac for one semester in school and that was a while ago. I wouldn't even know where to start with software, let alone be able to do a tutorial. Sorry. I doubt he can, but GMB might be able to tell you of some software for the Mac.

Last edited by jujimum; Aug. 4th, '08 at 1:31 pm.
Old Aug. 4th, '08, 9:03 pm   #14
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario

I can get software thats not the problem. The problem is knowing what in the heck to do. Your tutorial was great. I guess I could just flip over and run parallels on the mac and then use windows for that program...

I just tried this using adobe photoshop elements and for starters cant get tolerance to 0 only to 1%.

After that I couldnt figure out how to access certain levels etc. Its a different program but any ideas how to do this on something like this photoshop?

I'd hate for you to have to do another tutorial. Maybe Cam can chime in and use the tutorial you wrote as a guide but edit it for photoshop users? (not that they would need to know how to do this....lol)

Last edited by SkatingPenguin; Aug. 4th, '08 at 10:05 pm.
Old Aug. 4th, '08, 10:19 pm   #15
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Well, actually Photoshop is my program of choice and is what I use. I used it to make the screenshots of the other program

I worded that tolerance thing kind of bad. It should say move it FROM 0 to about 25. I read that last night for the fourth time and thought it could be confusing.

As for levels, do you mean accessing layers?

I can do a tutorial for Photoshop, no problem. I've been using Photoshop for years (although you might not be able to tell). This program I've only used for a few hours

The reason I did this tutorial and for this program is, some guys asked for a tutorial for a free program they could easily get.
Old Aug. 5th, '08, 8:32 am   #16
GrandmasterB
This is Flaming Dragon
Jul 2008 1,284
Colorado
Send a message via MSN to GrandmasterB

If you want Photoshop-ish quality without the cost on Windows or Mac; I suggest trying out GIMP. The mac version was a little hard to locate, but here's the link: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

If you would like to check out some basic to intermediate photoshop tutorials check out my site: www.grandmasterb.com

This is in no way trying to promote my site at all, just offering a reference for you to learn. Also, check out www.pixel2life.com and www.tutorialized.com
http://appurls.com
http://www.grandmasterb.com
------------------------
"Just contact the Mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky...it's in the shape of a giant cock". ~ Hit Girl
Old Aug. 5th, '08, 9:36 am   #17
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario

Very cool site!..

I had gimp for a while but didnt care for it. I have photoshop just never dived into it. A tutorial for the avatars in that would be great.
Old Aug. 5th, '08, 1:54 pm   #18
tHe Rk
tHe Rk xxxxxxxx

Aug 2008 351
Sapulpa, Ok

I personally use Paintshop Pro Photo XI and really like it. Its a cheap alternative to photoshop and works very well. The newer versions have some really decent tools, and as with anything the more you play around with it, the better stuff you can make, not that my stuff is good
Old Aug. 5th, '08, 2:16 pm   #19
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmasterB View Post
www.grandmasterb.com

This is in no way trying to promote my site at all, just offering a reference for you to learn.
GMB, we don't have any problem with you mentioning your site from time to time Just as long as the site doesn't turn into a grandmasterb.com infomercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR PAPPAGI0RGIO View Post
I personally use Paintshop Pro Photo XI and really like it. Its a cheap alternative to photoshop and works very well. The newer versions have some really decent tools, and as with anything the more you play around with it, the better stuff you can make, not that my stuff is good
I've heard good things about Paintshop Pro but never tried it. I chose this Serif program as a (legally) free option for guys wanted to try their hand in avatars. This is PhotoPlus 6 and they are already past version 11 now. I read somewhere that at the time version 6 was released, it was close to being a Photoshop rival. I honestly have a feeling that the newest/latest version ($79usd) is probably an awesome program. Considering I'm still using Photoshop 7 or whatever, it's VERY tempting to buy either Paintshop Pro or even Photoplus X2. The problem is, Photoshop has so many add-ons that I like it for that reason.

http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplusx2/

(I'm also not promoting Serif products, I was just happy with their very old version so assume their newer versions are better)
Old Aug. 9th, '08, 5:52 pm   #20
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR PAPPAGI0RGIO View Post
I personally use Paintshop Pro Photo XI and really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
I've heard good things about Paintshop Pro but never tried it.
I'm a liar. I just looked on my old PC and saw that I had Paintshop Pro 7 so I obviously did try it. I tried to find the disc but have no idea where it is. I installed it back in 2001