Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > General Banter

Old Feb. 6th, '17, 5:20 pm   #1
DustyRytStyk
XBS Bully

May 2011 1,842
Long Island, NY
Default Let's Reminisce

So XBS Members,

Figured we could have a little fun with this thread. I'm pretty sure we have all been pretty avid gamers our whole lives or quite frankly we probably wouldn't be part of the XBS community. With that being said, if you had to pick your all time favorite video game what would it be and why? You can only pick one, so choose wisely. Please answer in the format below:

Favorite Game: The Last of Us

Reasons why: I went real recent with my selection. If you haven't played this game, I suggest you do. I had never gotten so wrapped up emotionally in a video game before but this one did the trick. It's only a Sony exclusive so you would obviously need to have their system. It was one of those games that I never wanted to stop playing and when I did stop, couldn't wait to get back playing again. So much so, my nephew and I spent all night finishing this game together because we just couldn't put the controller down he needed my help with this shooting skills because I'm quite the sniper, Right Bryan? lol. Either way, we had a real fun time playing it and finishing it together so if you have the time and haven't tried this game yet, now might be the time. The musical score and graphics are pretty awesome as well and the story line is top notch.
Old Feb. 6th, '17, 7:06 pm   #2
KT
Jul 2008 5,111

Favorite game for me would have to be Destiny.

I know it was a massive disappointment in a lot of people's eyes, but for me It has a special place on my list of all time favorite games. I've spent more than 3000 hours playing.. by far more than any other game I've played. Rewind to mid 2014... EA Sports announces that NHL 15 will not have the EASHL. I decided I had no need to purchase hockey that year since since I had no interest in HUT at the time. I had just bought an XB1 a few months prior, and didn't really have anything good to play. I hear about Destiny, watch a few videos and decide to buy it without having any expectations.

The reason why I love Destiny so much? The Raids. They have been some of the most memorable experiences I've ever had online. Getting a group of friends together and stepping into the unknown and exploring as a group. Figuring out how to beat the multiple different stages before getting to the final boss. And then beating the entire raid which is some cases could take 8 hours or even weeks made it so much worth it!

Fallout 4 is a close 2nd place for me.
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 9:49 am   #3
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,610
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRytStyk View Post
So XBS Members,

Figured we could have a little fun with this thread. I'm pretty sure we have all been pretty avid gamers our whole lives or quite frankly we probably wouldn't be part of the XBS community. With that being said, if you had to pick your all time favorite video game what would it be and why? You can only pick one, so choose wisely. Please answer in the format below:

Reasons why: I went real recent with my selection. If you haven't played this game, I suggest you do. I had never gotten so wrapped up emotionally in a video game before but this one did the trick. It's only a Sony exclusive so you would obviously need to have their system. It was one of those games that I never wanted to stop playing and when I did stop, couldn't wait to get back playing again. So much so, my nephew and I spent all night finishing this game together because we just couldn't put the controller down he needed my help with this shooting skills because I'm quite the sniper, Right Bryan? lol. Either way, we had a real fun time playing it and finishing it together so if you have the time and haven't tried this game yet, now might be the time. The musical score and graphics are pretty awesome as well and the story line is top notch.
I had started playing this game, then life and other games got in the way. Never got too deep. May need to give it another go from the beginning.
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 10:05 am   #4
Zaunbie

Jan 2013 442
Halifax Nova Scotia

Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Reason Why: This game simply was the start of my video game career, I was just a little kid when I was playing and could still barely read so I learned to read through trying to figure out what signs and what the characters had to say so I could move on to the next level. It developed into me striving for 120 stars until my dickhead cousin came over from Ireland and saved over my file, I was devastated. My dad and I slowly worked our way back up to 100 stars but could go no further, this lead to multiple files sitting around 70-80 stars and that one file with 100. A gamecube, PS2, xbox, xbox 360 later I decided to pull out the ol' 64 and run this game. Time took its toll on the cartridge and I could no longer play, but that led me to download an Emulator on my computer and take another crack at 120, high school me got there eventually, I put the game on hold for a bit after finally completing the game 100%. When I got to uni I would be quite bored in class and id start up the emulator, soon enough I found I was turning into a speed runner, trying to complete the levels as quick as possible, this game was no longer about if I could get 120 it was how quick. I know this games intricacies almost in and out now, the amount of time spent, the memories, and the enjoyment I still get when I play it easily makes this my top choice.
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 10:25 am   #5
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 17,420
In my glove

Pong

Not because of the game, but because of the memories of family it brings back when I was a kid.

As you skate across my blueline in the shadow of death, thou shall fear my evil - Sauerkraut 23:4
"My uncle Tretiak taught me everything I know" - Baron Von Sauerkraut
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 10:57 am   #6
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,411
Boston

From a pure enjoyment perspective I'd have to say it's really close between Red Dead Redemption and the Assassin's Creed series. The Last of Us was fucking amazing as well, as was Witcher 3.

I'm going to go with Red Dead Redemption as my top pic. It was the first game where I was so completely enthralled and compelled by the story and gameplay, that it remains to this day the only game for which I completed every single achievement (PS3).

It was the writing/story that was so amazing, the gameplay was an absolute blast, and there were so many mini games within the game that were so much fun. I can't wait for RDD2 later this year!
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 3:15 pm   #7
No Regretzkys
Frozen Water Sports

Aug 2013 448
Long Island, NY

Reasons Why: This game completely changed my perception on how video games could actually be. Throughout, the entire experience felt like a really really good book, one that you just cannot put down. The characters were unlike any I have ever seen in a video game, and by the end, I truly felt a connection with them. As odd as it is, it seemed like I knew their nuances, their quirks, and every minute detail about them. Never have I been so invested in a game that I've willed myself to stay up all night to finish it. Similarly, never have I loved a game so much that I've completed it 5 separate times (3 times on PS3, and 2 times on PS4, including the DLC, which is also fantastic).

For me to be so fond of a game like this is rare. Yes, I love a good story, I love an immersive experience, but I've always been more of a multiplayer guy, and more into games like Call of Duty, Forza, Need for Speed, and NHL. The multiplayer in this game is phenomenal, but the main story is where it gets all the 10/10 ratings. If you have never played it, or are a fan of good stories and "Uncharted"-like action, I HIGHLY recommend it. I could go on for days. It's a masterpiece, such an intense ride from beginning to end, and in my opinion, the greatest game of all time. It'll bring you to tears and make you feel for fictional characters in ways you didn't think possible.

And for the record... Dusty's the worst shooter I've ever played with in my life. Wouldn't trust the guy with a water gun. Fun times though.

Absolutely cannot wait for the sequel.

**Side note... The soundtrack is also probably the best music I've ever heard in a game. Goes so well with the storyline and the plot... It does such a good job at making you feel even more immersed, and to this day, I'll listen to it. Played it on Christmas Eve at our party .

Last edited by No Regretzkys; Feb. 7th, '17 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb. 7th, '17, 3:55 pm   #8
DustyRytStyk
XBS Bully

May 2011 1,842
Long Island, NY

"And for the record... Dusty's the worst shooter I've ever played with in my life. Wouldn't trust the guy with a water gun. Fun times though."

Now this is utter nonsense....lol
Old Feb. 8th, '17, 8:26 am   #9
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,411
Boston

I havwe to admit that the opening sequence/scene in the Last of Us left me sitting on couch, tears rolling down my face. That the first time a game had reached me like that on an emotional level. Powerful stuff, looking forward to the sequel as well.
Old Feb. 8th, '17, 8:38 am   #10
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,080
Winnipeg, Manitoba

So hard to pick one favorite. Weighing games of great nostalgia, immersive experiences, and quality.... I would have to come down on GoldenEye 64. That game led to YEARS of multiplayer games, "tournaments," and more creative "make your own fun" types of play than anything I have ever seen before up until I joined XBS. Friends were made, friends were lost over which stupid bitch thought playing as Oddjob was somehow acceptable. Jaws was permissible for n00bs and those who sucked.
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne