XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Nov. 7th, '11, 5:50 pm   #1
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,842
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey
Default Optical cable combiner???

Hey guys. My surround sound system only has one optical input. I believe either my XBOX or my Cable box is already using it.

I bought a PS3 to replace my Blu Ray player and I notice the only digital audio to my surround sound system would be optical. I connected my old Blu Ray player to the surround system using a coaxial connection.

My question is I know there are devices to split signals.....is there an adapter that anyone knows of where I can plug the adapter into the surround sound system optical input, and then connect two optical cables? I've done searches for something like this in the past with little luck. This would be my simplest solution (and possibly my only solution).

Old Nov. 7th, '11, 5:54 pm   #2
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Yeah, they have optical cable splitters or switches you could use.

Something like this..

http://snipsly.com/2010/07/21/best-b...s-xbox360-ps3/

Old Nov. 8th, '11, 9:17 am   #3
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,842
South Amboy, NJ

Thanks Scott. Will pick up one of those and one of the cheapo ones that don't require the dial. Don't want to have to twist every time there is a change. I think I have an old switching box that does optic, and its push button digital, but it required a power source which I am trying to avoid (and avoid having to look through boxes to find it). That will be a last resort if one of the other two don't work.

Old Nov. 17th, '11, 9:37 am   #4
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,842
South Amboy, NJ

I did get both the dial kind and the cheaper optical splitter. The optical splitter did work as a coupler like I thought it would since its just light passing through, I didn't think the direction would matter. As long as the PS3 and XBOX aren't producing sound at the same time I don't see this as being a problem. And I don't have to worry about twisting the dial every time I change between systems.

One thing I did notice is the PS3 produces quiet sounds, so I have to turn my surround system way up. The XBOX is the same sound level as when it was previously direct connected. Weird.

Old Dec. 12th, '11, 3:15 am   #5
Tuffalupagus
Datsyuk is my daddy

Nov 2011 24
Lansing, MI

I just recently ran into the same problem when I got my APPLE TV. I Decided to ditch the optical and just use hdmi sound output straight from my tv. The sound is just as good and it greatly improved the convenience of switching inputs on my tv. I no longer have to change my receiver inputs now. Not that this is the best way to go but just my input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Dec. 12th, '11, 8:12 am   #6
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,842
South Amboy, NJ

Not an option for me. The sound on my TV sucks since its an LED, its super thin so they don't put their money into the sound. Plus I NEED to hear the explosions and such behind me.

Old Dec. 13th, '11, 4:32 am   #7
Tuffalupagus
Datsyuk is my daddy

Nov 2011 24
Lansing, MI

I guess I should have explained my tv has an optical out. So I run that to my surround sound and turn the sound on the TV speakers off. The only negative thing is if you want to hear something that's not playing through your TV you have to run that separately to your sound receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk