Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,702
Boston

Very nice.

Old Sep. 7th, '14, 11:42 am   #32
KT
Jul 2008 5,202
Vancouver, B.C

I'm totally buying this! Looks pretty badass. If it's anything like the Mass Effect series i'll be hooked....

Old Sep. 7th, '14, 12:02 pm   #33
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
I'm totally buying this! Looks pretty badass. If it's anything like the Mass Effect series i'll be hooked....
Depends what you mean by Mass Effect. I don't think it's ANYTHING like Mass Effect. Mass Effect was an RPG that was heavy into story. Destiny is not.

I have Destiny pre-ordered so I'm not poo-pooing the game. It's just Destiny seems to be more like an "objective" type of game. Or mission-based.

Of course there is more to it than just missions. There is a base/city where you can shop for weapons, customizations, factions, etc. And then you can travel to a different planet to complete missions and earn points.

There are also raids that seem really interesting. Eventually the raids will be 6-man required raids and those can only be friends

So I didn't want to type a lot which is why this doesn't have much info, but I figured I'd better let you know that I don't think it should be expected to match up against be similar to Mass Effect. I think they're quite different games.

Last edited by jujimum; Sep. 7th, '14 at 1:38 pm.
Old Sep. 7th, '14, 5:47 pm   #34
KT
Jul 2008 5,202
Vancouver, B.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
Depends what you mean by Mass Effect. I don't think it's ANYTHING like Mass Effect. Mass Effect was an RPG that was heavy into story. Destiny is not.

I have Destiny pre-ordered so I'm not poo-pooing the game. It's just Destiny seems to be more like an "objective" type of game. Or mission-based.

Of course there is more to it than just missions. There is a base/city where you can shop for weapons, customizations, factions, etc. And then you can travel to a different planet to complete missions and earn points.

There are also raids that seem really interesting. Eventually the raids will be 6-man required raids and those can only be friends

So I didn't want to type a lot which is why this doesn't have much info, but I figured I'd better let you know that I don't think it should be expected to match up against be similar to Mass Effect. I think they're quite different games.
Makes sense, I wasn't expecting it to be exactly the same as Mass Effect. I was just hoping certain parts of the game were similar. What I loved about that series was being able to acquire new guns by purchasing them in the shops, or finding them on the battlefield. I enjoyed being able to upgrade all of your weapons and also level up your character. I loved the third person view, and the story. I know that the combat camera will be first-person in Destiny which isn't quite the same, but I'm happy that you can walk around/explore in third-person which is cool.

I guess it was a poor comparison on my part! It's weird because the first thing I thought of when I read about and watched a few videos of Destiny was Mass Effect. Not entirely sure why since one is an RPG and one is a MMO. Just hoping it will be fun regardless, my Xbox One shelf is empty

Old Sep. 7th, '14, 6:09 pm   #35
BenchBoss67

Oct 2008 2,369
West Chester, PA
Send a message via MSN to BenchBoss67 Send a message via AIM to BenchBoss67 Send a message via Yahoo to BenchBoss67

I had it preordered but canceled after beta I liked it but not enough to own. Might change my mind. Have cod ordered and have been playing bf4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Sep. 7th, '14, 6:26 pm   #36
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
Makes sense, I wasn't expecting it to be exactly the same as Mass Effect. I was just hoping certain parts of the game were similar. What I loved about that series was being able to acquire new guns by purchasing them in the shops, or finding them on the battlefield. I enjoyed being able to upgrade all of your weapons and also level up your character. I loved the third person view, and the story. I know that the combat camera will be first-person in Destiny which isn't quite the same, but I'm happy that you can walk around/explore in third-person which is cool.

I guess it was a poor comparison on my part! It's weird because the first thing I thought of when I read about and watched a few videos of Destiny was Mass Effect. Not entirely sure why since one is an RPG and one is a MMO. Just hoping it will be fun regardless, my Xbox One shelf is empty
Yeah, I'm glad you understood my post. I hurried through it. It sounds like you'll be happy with it because weapons and customizations seems to be a big part of the game. There are so many things to do/level and that is what I like about it. I understand your character will have a level cap but it's all the other things that you can level which will hold my interest. I'm addicted to unlocking things

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBoss67 View Post
I had it preordered but canceled after beta I liked it but not enough to own. Might change my mind. Have cod ordered and have been playing bf4
I can actually understand how the beta wouldn't do it for someone. Heck, even I got bored. But I know what all they have planned for it and that's what excites me. I think I read somewhere they (Activision) invested $500 million into the game. That most likely doesn't include just this version of the game but the commitment is there.

I played all of the beta alone and was able to complete things alone. So I worried, since I suck, that it would get boring. But it was just the beta and I also understand things will get harder.

The raiding parties sound really interesting. They can take a couple of hours to compete (with 6 friends). As long as you finish it in a week, you can quit out at anytime and finish them later. They wipe it all each week though so you have to finish what you start within that week. Each raid will have two levels. One that is "normal" and you basically learn what to do. Then you can do it on Hard/Hardcore where it requires more skill and teamwork.

Plus, and not all of this is meant for Bench even though I'm typing below his quote, the exploration is what I like. I did feel the focus wasn't on exploration and because of that there were too many skirmishes for my taste. But I still like that I can play alone or with friends.

I was very interested in the game Defiance. It was very similar to Destiny in concept. The main difference is the team and budget. Big differences I know. What I mean though is that it had the same type of play just not done as well. I'm expecting Bungie/Activision to do it right. And one of the things I'm talking about is while exploring, you see a skirmish. You can ignore it or join it. If a bunch of people join, you have an easier time or get more rewards. And I really like when a bunch of randoms perform a skirmish, it ends, and everyone just walks off on their own way. Kind of like, "OK, so that was fun. See ya." And it's nice when you're in the middle of one and outnumbered that a group forms to help you out. That's the stuff that I like in this game.

And I imagine playing with known people will provide a completely different experience, but just as good.
Old Sep. 7th, '14, 6:34 pm   #37
BenchBoss67

Oct 2008 2,369
West Chester, PA
Send a message via MSN to BenchBoss67 Send a message via AIM to BenchBoss67 Send a message via Yahoo to BenchBoss67

One thing that bothered me and it was beta was guys at higher levels were so much better to the point I shot a couple guys and I ended up dead they were able to kill me like I said it was beta maybe I will get it on the 9th and cancel cod it always seems the same

Old Sep. 7th, '14, 6:38 pm   #38
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
One thing that bothered me and it was beta was guys at higher levels were so much better to the point I shot a couple guys and I ended up dead they were able to kill me like I said it was beta maybe I will get it on the 9th and cancel cod it always seems the same
Probably not a surprise, but I didn't even check out the "versus" stuff, lol. I'm sure I'll do that with friends but without, I have no interest in it.

It doesn't matter what shooter I'm playing, I'm always dead no matter how much I shoot someone else But yeah, to be fair, I didn't touch that part of the game and don't even read much about it.

My interest lies in leveling up, exploring, and just mucking about in the game. As pixel said to me, and I agreed, I think it's a game that I'll play heavily for a couple of weeks and then probably pick it up here and there for a change of pace. And I think it's a game that will have lasting appeal as they add new things to it.
Old Sep. 7th, '14, 7:08 pm   #39
BenchBoss67

Oct 2008 2,369
West Chester, PA

You are probably correct it seems like the kind of game you can unlike bf4 and cod seems like they lean more towards online but if you stop playing you lose a lot of time in my opinion this would be the kind of game I would play with friends more so than strangers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Sep. 8th, '14, 4:41 pm   #40
Nexus510
Banned
Sep 2011 1,910
Austin, TX

Quote:

It's not so much the people were much better, but probably the fact that they had weapons with better damage stats. I understand how much they want this to feel like an MMO, but the varying stats on a weapon when it comes to PVP just doesn't work well. This is the main reason I'm not getting the game as I feel PVP is still very integral to the game. Raids sound like a lot of fun (I'm a sucker for PvE content like this), but I don't feel like there will be enough around at launch to keep me busy if I disregard PVP.