User Name:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > General Banter

Old Oct. 26th, '14, 9:54 pm   #1
Jul 2008 1,964
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to kdfsjljklgjfg Send a message via Skype™ to kdfsjljklgjfg
Default A life-changing week

I haven't spoken with a lot of you in a while, but I've had one hell of an emotional day to cap off the last couple weeks and would like to share it with some cool peeps.

In high school, I had a few friends doing theatre. It was never something I really got into, largely because I was riding the disappointment of a 2nd grade play that I was dragged into against my will, where I had only 2 lines, forgot them both, and ruined the whole show on my own. I did do stage crew for a year though.

Fast forward to this year, and I started going to plays for the first time to support said theatre friends. A co-worker, figuring that since I went to some shows, I must be a theatre guy (I went to a total of 2 shows at this point at the local theatre, for a total of 2 ever there), and invited me to auditions for a romantic comedy, "Almost, Maine".

I figured "Eh, fuck it, why not" and auditioned, and ultimately got 2 roles. Chad, an outdoorsy man's man, and Steve, a guy who can't feel pain, and because of this, has been protected by his brother, and has lived an incredibly sheltered life, making him very innocent and naive.

We finished our last show of our 2 weekend run tonight. Last weekend was amazing, and I spent Monday both feeling fulfilled that I made people happy for 2 hours, and depressed that I was at work at a shitty grocery store rather than being on stage or preparing to be on stage.

Tonight was the last show, and we had the cast party after we stored away our props and cleaned our things out of the dressing room. At the cast party, our stage manager's husband came to me and said that he has a schizophrenic son who behaves similarly to my character Steve, and that my mannerisms and speech were absolutely perfect, and reminded him of his son. He then proceeded to tell me stories of his son.

And..ladies and gentlemen....I almost cried like a baby. I was absolutely moved at the idea that I could touch someone in such a way from the stage. It touched me, and I have never felt that way before.

And now I want to act forever. I want to do this for the rest of my life.

It is the single most fulfilling thing that I have ever done in my life.

Mr. Utility
Old Oct. 26th, '14, 10:10 pm   #2
Custom User Title
Jun 2008 18,710
St. Louis, Mo

Good stuff, Letters. You should definitely pursue it if it makes you happy. I have major regrets not finding anything I was passionate enough to pursue. Now I'm a bitter, old man still not knowing what I want to be when I grow up
Old Oct. 26th, '14, 10:42 pm   #3
Et Non Erunt Decem
Jun 2010 5,168
Winnipeg, Manitoba

It's been cool to hear about it for the last few weeks man. It's a lot of fun to get involved with stage productions on any level. Glad to hear you have the dramatic chops.

When I was in high school and a little bit beyond, I took part in a number of things, culminating in directing a community theatre production of Grease (which I did largely because the people who normally did such things didn't feel like it that year) where I ended up having to fill in as the Frankie Avalon character due to the lack of tenor voices. Through these experiences, I learned a few things about myself: I can't act my way out of a paper bag when it comes to drama, and I can't follow even the most basic of choreography... but I drew rave reviews when I got to play comedic supporting roles, of which my all-time favourite remains the bumbling captain from Anything Goes when I was 18.

Wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to do it again, but if it's what you have passion for, keep going, man. Might be a tough way to make a living but I have to believe there are still plenty of groups out there so that you can get on 2-3 productions a year if you really wanted to, even just for the fun of it.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Oct. 27th, '14, 6:56 am   #4
Goonie for Life!
Dec 2008 1,597
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Send a message via MSN to ShoalinCowboy76

Glad to hear you had a good time doing it man. I was involved throughout school and well into my late 20's with Community theater. Unfortunately it just took up to much time and interfered with time I need to work since then , as like now, I live payday to payday. Couldn't spare the time anymore. I miss it a lot though. You guys should have heard the Cowboy sing. It was magical.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Charles Darwin
Old Oct. 27th, '14, 10:45 am   #5
Jul 2008 3,097
Raleigh, NC
Send a message via MSN to nosice Send a message via AIM to nosice

AWesome letters... Totally awesome.. I think as Human's we feel more accomplished when we know it helps someone else as well...

Im kinda Psyched about you getting started man... Im not a theatre guru.. But since moving to Raleigh ive been to quit a few plays.. Some LOW BUDGET and others like Phantom, Wizard of Oz.. etc..

I have a classmate that is still in the business named blaine Weaver.. and he's still pursueing everything at 38..

keep going man.. All the luck to you... And uh.. Do they still say "Break a leg"?..

Old Oct. 27th, '14, 10:49 am   #6
{ { { { BACON } } } }
Dec 2008 5,128
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Good shit Letters. Best of luck to you on your new career path. It's always easier when you're striving for something that interests you and makes you happy.
Old Oct. 27th, '14, 11:42 am   #7
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,242
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Good Job Letters, and congrats at making through the play and accomplishing want you want

it is always nice to do things you love to do.. pursue it my friend...

Old Oct. 27th, '14, 12:33 pm   #8
Et Non Erunt Decem
Jun 2010 5,168
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Practice this until you've got it:

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne