Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Baseball > The Show

Old Jul. 29th, '13, 11:12 am   #1
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.
Default Batting tips for an Adan Dunn wannabe

Hey guys, I was hoping some of you more seasoned hitters can give me some batting tips. I lack serious plate dicipline and swing at anything, now since I bat like Adam Dunn (strikes out a buttload) I figured I would max my power first so when I actually connect it will be a HR. Well that doesn't seem to work so well and results in me hitting it 10ft shy of a HR every time.

I was batting a .200 on the zone and I then changed it to timing only and saw my average raise to about .250. I shut off the strike zone which helped as well but was hoping you guys had some tips or sliders that work well. I want to use the zone batting since 75% of the time the timing contact misses completely and sometimes hurts more than helps. I'm in my 3rd year and playing in AAA but riding the pine because I'm too inconsistent.

Bottom line, I suck and need help.
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 11:35 am   #2
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,687
NE of TO

Just blame the lag

Seriously though, I don't have a PS3, but I'll talk to you about this when the Show comes out on the PS4

Old Jul. 29th, '13, 11:38 am   #3
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.

Lmfao, I should blame the controller too now that I think of it. I've honestly never played a game so hard in my life, I'm usually pretty good at most games but baseball bends me backwards and reminds me I'm it's bitch.
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 2:07 pm   #4
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,563
Canada

Having the batters eye or whatever is called is good because sometimes they throw right down the middle, and when you have that off, the CPU goes top right and you have a bad swing.

Also, I use this camera and it lets you read pitches a lot better, its easier to tell a strike/ball on curveballs and off speed pitches.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ra-2012-a.html

And the most important thing...honestly just stop swinging for HRs, look for pitches you want...I usually just look for fastball L2 X, I think it is, without picking location. I still hit other pitches as I find a change up is easy to read.

Even though you are a power hitter, don't use square every time, you have a larger batters eye when you press X, and you still hit plenty of HRs.
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 2:26 pm   #5
Walbeb
Jun 2012 802
Wallingford, CT.

I don't use the square button, I do only use the X. See my issue is I can't wait for a pitch I want, I get too trigger happy and don't want to miss out on a great strike. I will try the camera though, and trying the guess the pitch will probably help a lot too.

The two pitches that kill me are the curveballs and sliders. They are always throwing crap at my knees and I have a terrible eye for that stuff. Again, the camera should help. Thanks Spec
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 2:50 pm   #6
Canbanana
Bananercised
Jan 2013 365
Dallas

signed into triple A this morning... omg.... what a difference from double A, the game is impossible to get a hit now.
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 3:15 pm   #7
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,687
NE of TO

Like with any baseball game (2K even), you HAVE to be able to read the pitches and know what's going to be a strike and what's not going to be.

I remember with 2K, when we played against each other, guys will swing at the pitch 99% of the time regardless of where the ball was going. The key to hitting (not only in video games but real life as well) is patience. If you don't have patience, you'll never be a good hitter in baseball

Old Jul. 29th, '13, 3:39 pm   #8
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,758
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Here is what I do and I have my average around .305-.320. NEVER swing at the first pitch. This will also help the opposing pitcher rack up a higher pitch count. If you get ahead in the count try to take a few more balls. Remember you do not have to protect the plate unless you have 2 strikes on you. Once you get down to 1 strike left go ahead and use the "O" button for contact swing. You will foul balls off but occasionally you will connect with one and put it into play. I keep the strike zone on because it is easier for me to determine if the pitch will be in or out. I also use the guess pitch feature because that will give you an added advantage if you guess correctly. Hope this helps you a little bit.
Old Jul. 29th, '13, 10:10 pm   #9
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Silliest thing I do and it works most of the time is count steamboats from the time the ball leaves the pitchers hand... I know right?!?!?

1 steamboat. 2 X

By the time the ball is at "2" you will know if it's a ball a strike or a pumpkin pitch.

It's all timing and recognition, like Lat said NEVER swing at first pitch even if you guessed correctly and the controller is vibrating out of your hands. The honey pitch is coming.

Bat for average not the seats and you will get to the show a lot sooner, the "power" to go yard will come once you are in the bigs.

Play with everything from camera to steamboats and you will find your groove and carry on.

Old Jul. 29th, '13, 11:17 pm   #10
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,099
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I sincerely thought you were asking how to improve your swing.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne