Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > General Banter

Old Dec. 21st, '15, 5:20 pm   #1551
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,758
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Um...

uh...

well...

Knowing that a whole bunch of you guys are long-term Star Wars fans makes me hesitant to talk about anything specifically. So many things about the movie could be potentially spoiled simply by alluding to them. So I'm going to be much more brief than usual.

Episode VII gets rid of all the shit we hated about the prequel trilogy (overuse of CGI, Hayden Christensen) and is absolutely reverent to the original films in terms of the operatic freedom they were made with - that is to say, not everything needs a firm explanation, and not everything needs to make total sense - this world is full of wonder and that's to be accepted.

It looks great, it sounds great, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and it plays with all the feels. Screw the prequel trilogy - this one's even better than Jedi. Get out there.

10/10
I was in Italy when this came out. I tried to go see it on opening weekend but it was obviously sold out (the English runs anyways). I'm going to the States tomorrow and this movie is priority level 1 for me! I'm a huge Star Wars nut and having not seen this already is eating me up. I'm trying to avoid spoilers left and right.
Old Dec. 21st, '15, 7:40 pm   #1552
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,110
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latdogg View Post
I was in Italy when this came out. I tried to go see it on opening weekend but it was obviously sold out (the English runs anyways). I'm going to the States tomorrow and this movie is priority level 1 for me! I'm a huge Star Wars nut and having not seen this already is eating me up. I'm trying to avoid spoilers left and right.
You'd do well to skip the Internet until you do. The movie is just so damn easy to spoil through idle chatter.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Dec. 22nd, '15, 2:18 am   #1553
KT
Jul 2008 5,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
You'd do well to skip the Internet until you do. The movie is just so damn easy to spoil through idle chatter.
Yep, glad I saw it opening day. Would've known all the spoilers from over hearing a few guys in the beer store. It's so hard to avoid spoilers, definitely stay off the internet lol

Old Dec. 22nd, '15, 8:28 am   #1554
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,376
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to canadianwhiskey

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I no longer have that bad tasted left from Lucas and his Prequels.

9/10

Old Dec. 22nd, '15, 8:29 am   #1555
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,601
Boston

As a huge fan, I'm ashamed to admit I've not yet seen it. Just too damned busy with work. Either that, or I've failed to properly prioritize. Younger me would definitely say it was the latter. Current me can't afford to put aside the former. Shortest review in a long time Muscley, and much appreciated.

Old Dec. 23rd, '15, 2:50 pm   #1556
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,123
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Going to see Star Wars in a few hours (At Silver City Muscley). It'll be awesome I'm sure. I don't think anyone could really ruin it. I mean I've seen the other ones so often, I don't remember a time when I didn't know he was Luke's father. Now my friend won't shut up about the time a newspaper ruined who Keiser Soze was.

Old Dec. 23rd, '15, 3:24 pm   #1557
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,734
NE of TO

Going to see it with my son in the DBOX seats (moving) over the holidays. Can't wait.

Old Dec. 23rd, '15, 4:02 pm   #1558
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,110
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
Going to see it with my son in the DBOX seats (moving) over the holidays. Can't wait.
I always go VIP or I go home.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Dec. 27th, '15, 9:44 pm   #1559
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,758
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

So I went to see this on the 24th. I honestly thought it was amazing and was VERY impressed. Had the feel of the original trilogy in terms of "simplicity". I am a HUGE Star Wars nut so my expectations were high. I am one of the few people who actually didn't mind the prequel trilogy (maybe a bit too much CG but who didn't love those massive space battles?) but I still wanted this to go back to the roots.

Click here to see full text
As for the big situation, I was extremely sad when Han Solo was murdered. Since I was a little kid he has always been my favorite character. I literally felt my blood boil when it happened, especially when his body was just "discarded" by falling into the abyss....and than having the planet implode. Aside from that breaking my heart, I LOVED seeing Luke at the end, sooo sick! I just wish I knew if Rey was Han and Leahs daughter or Lukes daughter, but I am leaning towards Lukes.

9/10
Old Feb. 8th, '16, 1:49 am   #1560
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,110
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Well, it's about that time of year where I catch up on all the award nominees and tell everyone what's wrong with the Academy. . I've had quite a busy couple of months (and devoted damn near all free time to Fallout 4), so I have some work to do. Mad Max and The Martian were reviewed previously. 6 Best Picture nominees to go:

The Revenant: Defending heavyweight champion Alejandro Inarritu brings a whopper, along with a ln oft-disappointed superstar in a rugged and incredibly visceral film that might as well be called "Give Leo His Oscar, Dammit!" And he might get it. Maybe.

What you get in Revenant is a nearly 3 hour gorefest, shot using only natural light. There is CGI at play of course, but it is a film where you can absolutely tell the principal actors have gone through sheer hell to make this happen - particularly Mr. DiCaprio, who may literally eat your soul in the final scene if he doesn't get an Oscar. (He eats some far nastier shit in the movie.)

Now, between the spectacle and the score of Revenant, you might get the impression that there are deep-rooted meanings and allegories at play. There simply aren't. This is a pure, bloody, unshackled revenge story, free of melodrama and set in the American frontier, full of danger and lawlessness. You might find yourself briefly sympathizing with brutal villian Fitzgerald, played terrifyingly by Tom Hardy. Not for long though - the man is evil even by 1830s standards.

Revenant is loosely based on what is known of Hugh Glass, a frontiersman known mostly for surviving a grizzly mauling and getting back on the trail. Much is Hollywoodized, but that isn't important - all that matters is Leo in the interpretation of Glass, in surely his most physically demanding role ever.

I'm going to say this is a must watch, but be prepared to wince A LOT. Definitely a top contender for the big prize despite it's thematic simplicity (though it surely is a beautiful film in terms of imagery), but Leo has one key competitor that might result in another thousand teary DiCaprio memes come March 1st...

9/10