Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Basketball

Old Jul. 10th, '08, 12:17 pm   #1
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,732
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50
Default Raptors officially acquire O'Neal from Pacers

TORONTO - If Jermaine O'Neal has his way, the NBA will boast a new set of Twin Towers next season.

The Toronto Raptors formally introduced the six-time all-star Wednesday after a trade with Indiana that was agreed to in principle before last month's draft. The Raptors also announced that Spanish guard Jose Calderon has signed a multi-year contract.

O'Neal and Chris Bosh give the Raptors one of the most imposing frontcourts in the Eastern Conference. The two forwards have nine all-star appearances between them, and should give opposing big men headaches with their combination of speed, size and skill.

Full Story

#proudnewfie
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 12:21 pm   #2
Bingo King
Jun 2008 149
Wisconsin
Send a message via MSN to Bingo King

if oneal plays 50 games this trade was worth it. ford was not the future for the franchise and oneal gives them a legit center.
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 12:30 pm   #3
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Thank god he's finally out of Indy. I'll be the first to admit I"m not a huge basketball fan, since Reggie retired from the Pacers, but I really don't think O'neal was worth the money he's making. Granted I don't think the Pacers got much better with the trade but atleast O'neal's contract is off the books. I'm actually surprised Indiana still has a NBA team, attendance seems to be dropping off like crazy. And I really don't see the Pacers getting much better anytime soon.
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 12:32 pm   #4
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,732
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

It all takes time. I'm a Bulls fan along with the Raps, and it's been hard to watch both teams struggle. Hopefully though, they both have good seasons this year.

#proudnewfie
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 12:45 pm   #5
Bingo King
Jun 2008 149
Wisconsin
Send a message via MSN to Bingo King

oneal was deserving the money before the "riot at the palace". that basically ruined everything for him. but before that he was on par with kevin garnett/tim Duncan.
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 1:12 pm   #6
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo King View Post
oneal was deserving the money before the "riot at the palace". that basically ruined everything for him. but before that he was on par with kevin garnett/tim Duncan.
To be honest, that's about when everything changed here in Indiana. If not mistaken that was Reggie's last year and it just seemed to kill any fanfare and interest in the team.

My dislike for the team comes from the new arena, Conseco Fieldhouse. While it's a nice arena and all, they screwed any other sports teams using it as it's only built for basketball. The Indiana Firebirds(AFL) were using it when they were in the league but they didn't last long and quickly folded. Problem with the arena is that to fit the football field in, you have to push back all the seats in one endzone. So you end up with a u shaped arena. That also screws Indiana out of getting anything above A level hockey, as only other arena to paly in is the Pepsi Coliseum which is where the Pacers used to play in the 60's & 70's and was built in the 40's.

Anyway I completely got off topic with a long rant of why I dislike the Pacers now. Back on topic, I wish O'neal best of luck in Toronto.
Old Jul. 10th, '08, 5:40 pm   #7
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,672
Boston

/hijack with general basketball comment

Until the NBA teams and players learn to play like teams, instead of a bunch of egocentric over-paid individuals, it will continue to be laughed at by people who still consider basketball a team sport. NBA World Champions? Not until you prove it by winning on a global stage.

/end hijack with general basketball comment

P.S. I do like basketball very much, I just prefer to watch the more pure collegiate/international/olympic version, where teams stil play like teams.