Old Jan. 5th, '10, 10:26 pm   #1
Jepockn

Jun 2008 2,591
Regina, SK
Send a message via MSN to Jepockn
Default Fiscal Report Absence Suggests End Of NHL 2K Series

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177400

Quote:
EA's acclaimed NHL franchise may soon be the only hockey game on the block. NHL 2K failed to appear on Take Two's recent Q4 fiscal report, suggesting that the franchise will soon be axed (via Pastapadre). Asked about the absence, 2K Sports' Bryan Lam told Kotaku, "We are currently in the process of evaluating our sports portfolio and have not announced any new NHL titles at this time."
The list does include the next games in the MLB 2K and NBA 2K franchises. Seems like NHL 2K is the lone absentee from 2K's sports lineup.
The most recent 2K Sports series to bite the dust was College Hoops 2K, which ended its run at College Hoops 2K8. The most recent entry in the NHL 2K series was released back in September.
Hockey fans, would you be sad to see the end of NHL 2K? Or are you content with EA's NHL series?

Old Jan. 5th, '10, 11:59 pm   #2
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,884

Not surprised and can't say I'm crushed... I haven't purchased any NHL 2K games in years and the way they were going I wasn't planning on it anyways... Too bad there wasn't another company to give EA some serious competition and release a decent alternative...

Last edited by Synyster Diablo; Jan. 6th, '10 at 12:07 am.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Jan. 6th, '10, 9:39 am   #3
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,094
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Honestly, this would suck. I really liked 2k10 and thought NHL 10 was complete garbage. So if this is true, then I won't be buying a hockey game on release day next year. I think baseball and football has shown us what no competition does for sports games.
Old Jan. 6th, '10, 10:03 am   #4
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolute View Post
Not surprised and can't say I'm crushed... I haven't purchased any NHL 2K games in years and the way they were going I wasn't planning on it anyways... Too bad there wasn't another company to give EA some serious competition and release a decent alternative...
total agreement here, I haven't owned/rented or even downloaded a demo from 2K Sports in a LONG time.

Not having competition would suck but in all fairness the EA NHL is on the right path and I doubt they will be complacent when it comes to delivering a solid product.

hard to say that this is a complete shock considering the financial times we are in and the fact that Take Two has had it's share of "issues" lately.

I wonder if Sony is willing to step up and try to make a solid game, I miss the Faceoff Series....

Old Jan. 6th, '10, 10:18 am   #5
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

I can't see anyone stepping up and competing with EA... at least in hockey. The market is just too small to make it worth while. When you consider football out sells hockey 10:1 or even 20:1, all the money in development and marketing against a game that has won awards for the last couple of years just doesn't make sense.

It is a shame since back in the day there were 4 or 5 different hockey games. Even though EA's has always been best (IMO) the competition helped improve the game. Only time will tell if this makes them become complacent.
Old Jan. 6th, '10, 11:23 am   #6
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,732
NE of TO

Hey, gangsta guppy is back...lol.

I say bring back NHL Rivals! Man, I used to love all the titles from XSN (with their website support).

Old Jan. 6th, '10, 11:25 am   #7
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
Hey, gangsta guppy is back...lol.
You son of a bitch...
Old Jan. 6th, '10, 12:43 pm   #8
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,600
Boston

An appropriate gangsta response. I think the lack of competition in the long run is bad for the fans and folks who purchase the games.

Old Jan. 6th, '10, 12:57 pm   #9
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,884

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
I say bring back NHL Rivals! Man, I used to love all the titles from XSN (with their website support).
No way... go all the way back, old school... Blades of Steel
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Jan. 6th, '10, 12:59 pm   #10
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Rivals gets my vote, Blades of Steel seemed too arcadey