XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Dec. 11th, '11, 2:32 pm   #1
BONGKARMA
Compete,Respect,and Enjoy!

Sep 2008 2,067
NORTH CAROLINA U.S.A.
Send a message via MSN to BONGKARMA Send a message via AIM to BONGKARMA Send a message via ICQ to BONGKARMA Send a message via Skype™ to BONGKARMA Send a message via Yahoo to BONGKARMA
Default Xbox harddrive help

Please excuse me if this has been posted somewhere else.

I have two xbox consoles and only one hadrdrive that i switch back and forth from one to the other
depending on which one i'm playing on. is it possible to copy my data to another harddrive or flashdrive so i don't have to keep moving my harddive everytime i want to switch?
also will this keep me from having to recover my gametag everytime i switch?

Old Dec. 11th, '11, 3:00 pm   #2
Stew514
Banned
May 2009 382
Send a message via MSN to Stew514

You would need a flashdrive big enough to accomodate the storage, in theory it should work for your game data. I'm not sure how it works with having your gamertag in two places at once though.
Old Dec. 11th, '11, 3:46 pm   #3
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

With the new dashboard, you can use Cloud storage (including game saves and your gamertag). HOWEVER. I'm not sure how that works with DLC or if you don't have an HDD.

There's a tutorial on how to use Cloud storage but I think it's basically just choosing that option rather than choosing HDD, external, etc.

Again, not sure how that will work with EA's online pass, DLC, and other things like that though. Worth a shot though.
Old Dec. 11th, '11, 4:03 pm   #4
ExArmySgt
Jun 2008 2,662
Vidor, Texas
Send a message via MSN to ExArmySgt Send a message via AIM to ExArmySgt

I thought that it worked with your gamertag as well and maybe it does but it the cloud storage is tied to your GT, how could your retrieve it from the cloud without first having to sign in? If you could sign in, your GT in the cloud would only be something to d/l for replacing a GT that had somehow been corrupted. The game saves make sense and in the video I watched with Major Nelson, that was all he seemed to tout it for.
Old Dec. 11th, '11, 4:10 pm   #5
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExArmySgt View Post
I thought that it worked with your gamertag as well and maybe it does but it the cloud storage is tied to your GT, how could your retrieve it from the cloud without first having to sign in? If you could sign in, your GT in the cloud would only be something to d/l for replacing a GT that had somehow been corrupted. The game saves make sense and in the video I watched with Major Nelson, that was all he seemed to tout it for.
All the videos I had seen and descriptions I read bragged about how you no longer would need to carry a memory card to your friend's house to play online.

I'm guessing you'll just, at a friend's house or alternate XBox, sign in to "cloud" storage by using your GT and password. I don't have a need for it yet so I haven't tried it.

Funny thing is, when I first got XBox Live, whatever many years ago, it was a feature that I was pissed you couldn't have. I hated that my brother and I couldn't co-op in a game and earn achievements. You used to not be able to sign in two GTs at once on the same console. I hated it.

But yeah, the intro to the new dashboard video on the dashboard acted as if you'd be able to access your GT on other consoles. I just don't know the exact details.
Old Dec. 11th, '11, 4:13 pm   #6
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Here's an old article from MajorNelson (introducing the Cloud stuff):

http://majornelson.com/2011/06/06/cl...-to-xbox-live/

Cloud Storage for Game Saves and LIVE Profile. Here at Xbox LIVE we listen to your feedback. We are making it easier for you to sign into your Xbox LIVE account from any console at any time to access your game saves and full profile, including items such as Microsoft Points to make purchases, Achievements and friends. Cloud storage will allow you to enjoy the same great Xbox LIVE gaming experience even when you’re not in your own living room by giving you the option to store your “game saves” securely in the Xbox LIVE cloud instead of on a portable memory unit or your console’s hard drive. Gone are the days of “gamertag recovery.” Now all you need to do is sign in, no matter where you are!

*EDIT*

Check out the featured video here for the new dashboard here (about the 2:12 talks about "roaming profile":

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/InsideXbox