Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > General Banter

Old Oct. 13th, '14, 1:31 am   #1
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,151
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Default LinkedIn

So, I caved and took a bunch of people's advice and signed up for a LinkedIn account to help me with my job search. Trouble is, coming from rural areas and spending my whole life living in the middle of nowhere until just 3 months ago, I don't know a lot of people who actually use the thing.

Any advice on how to use the site to get ahead? Will it actually make a difference? The only benefit I'm seeing so far is being able to quickly apply for things posted online with the touch of a button.

I've probably sent a few of you invites to connect on there based on my contacts list, so thank you if you accept and apologies if it's overly creepy.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is all news to me.
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Oct. 13th, '14, 9:16 am   #2
Zaunbie

Jan 2013 408
Halifax Nova Scotia

Hey Muscley always good idea to have a linkedIn, I started mine back in first year of university and was lucky to have a shit ton of connections around me. I am sure you have put all your information in, but make sure you have a professional photo, business casual is more then okay.

http://blog.linkedin.com/2013/12/11/buzzwords-2013/ Not saying that anything you have in the section that describes you is wrong but my professor the other day was telling us about standing out from the crowd instead of being another linkedin guy if you know what I mean.

As a university student in the management field they are constantly highlighting the importance of LinkedIn so I guess there has to be some merit to it haha. Make sure you have all education and past experiences in there. What I have found to be the most important part of linkedIn is the connections, once you make them you get to see jobs related to them as well, if its someone who shares personal interests it could help you find a job that you wouldn't have otherwise seen. I am very lucky to have some connections with fathers who are important people so it kind of reflects nicely on me to show these connections and to see what they get offered.
Old Oct. 13th, '14, 10:09 am   #3
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,115
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

I made one not too long ago. Still tweaking it. Not a lot to it, just fill out the most important fields and try to make yourself look really good like on your resume.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/don-matthews/9b/bba/182
Old Oct. 15th, '14, 1:49 pm   #4
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,151
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulControlla99 View Post
I made one not too long ago. Still tweaking it. Not a lot to it, just fill out the most important fields and try to make yourself look really good like on your resume.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/don-matthews/9b/bba/182
I sent you a connect request. We were classmates at LU, after all.

Here's mine. Feedback would be appreciated. Endorsements for things other than Thai massage, too.

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/jason-godin/a6/26a/41a
"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Oct. 15th, '14, 2:54 pm   #5
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,115
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

I don't know if anyone truly cares about the endorsements. Anyone can endorse you, even if they have no idea about what they're endorsing. A friend of my wife who has nothing to do with science keeps endorsing her for things like confocal microscopy and quantitative PCR which is pretty much meaningless from someone who knows nothing about those things.
Old Oct. 15th, '14, 4:01 pm   #6
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,151
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulControlla99 View Post
I don't know if anyone truly cares about the endorsements. Anyone can endorse you, even if they have no idea about what they're endorsing. A friend of my wife who has nothing to do with science keeps endorsing her for things like confocal microscopy and quantitative PCR which is pretty much meaningless from someone who knows nothing about those things.
That's what I've heard, but I've also heard of people in the business world paying too much attention to crap like that. I've thrown a few out there on the basis that "yeah, I've heard that guy talk about that and he sounded important while doing it, so A+ job!"
Old Oct. 16th, '14, 7:56 am   #7
slow elk
Champipple

Jul 2008 2,729
Winterset, IA

You can add me....it's the only social media site i belong to.

Paul Newman - newmanp99@gmail.com