Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Hockey

Old Aug. 6th, '15, 1:09 pm   #1
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,174
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Default Patrick Kane investigated for sex assault

http://www.tsn.ca/blackhawks-kane-re...sault-1.341595

Well, that's gonna crimp the Cup defense. Hopefully due process finds justice and all, but having this connotation is quite likely to net Kane a long indefinite suspension unless he's cleared in today's climate.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Aug. 6th, '15, 1:24 pm   #2
BTW8892

May 2009 2,419
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
Hopefully due process finds justice and all, but having this connotation is quite likely to net Kane a long indefinite suspension unless he's cleared in today's climate.
To be fair, he's only under investigation, there hasn't been any official charges filed or anything like that. Not trying to defend Kane's actions, but all of the information cycling around the internet right now seems to be pretty vague. Not to mention, the original report came from The Buffalo News, which isn't necessarily a "concrete" source for something of this magnitude.

I'll hold off my judgments until we hear from a legitimate source or if this "report" actually leads to some sort of charges being filed.
Old Aug. 6th, '15, 2:33 pm   #3
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,174
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Just saying, the Kings felt justified outright firing Mike Richards for being under investigation.

Such broad terms the media uses, right?

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Aug. 6th, '15, 6:51 pm   #4
thebigschnoz
#47 | Offensive D-man

Jun 2010 1,542
Buffalo, NY
Send a message via MSN to thebigschnoz Send a message via Skype™ to thebigschnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW8892 View Post
To be fair, he's only under investigation, there hasn't been any official charges filed or anything like that. Not trying to defend Kane's actions, but all of the information cycling around the internet right now seems to be pretty vague. Not to mention, the original report came from The Buffalo News, which isn't necessarily a "concrete" source for something of this magnitude.

I'll hold off my judgments until we hear from a legitimate source or if this "report" actually leads to some sort of charges being filed.
Buffalo News is definitely concrete. They usually break faster than most of the news stations.

So it's been all over the news here. No one can actually say what the details are, as they are legally abided to. So we'll see.

Old Aug. 6th, '15, 7:02 pm   #5
BTW8892

May 2009 2,419
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigschnoz View Post
Buffalo News is definitely concrete. They usually break faster than most of the news stations.

So it's been all over the news here. No one can actually say what the details are, as they are legally abided to. So we'll see.
Being the first to break news doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate, just ask CNN. Not saying that I don't believe anything, but I usually approach with some caution when it comes to athletes being "accused" of actions like Kane.
Old Aug. 7th, '15, 11:06 am   #6
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,731
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW8892 View Post
To be fair, he's only under investigation, there hasn't been any official charges filed or anything like that.

That didn't stop the Kings from terminating Richards' contract.

I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just noting the difference in how their respective teams have handled a situation where a player is under investigation. My comment is mainly spurred by what I perceive to have been a total dick move by the Kings, who took the "guilty until proven innocent" approach in order to give themselves some breathing room under the cap.

I digress, and I'm straying way off topic here. I'm hoping that Richards gets help if he needs it (Oxy is no joke), and I'm admittedly hoping no charges are filed against him, so that the NHLPA can go after the Kings.

As far as Kane goes we'll have to see how it plays out. If it turns out that he did sexually assault someone, I'd be all in favor for taking the "eye for an eye" approach. I despise bullies.

Old Aug. 8th, '15, 10:17 am   #7
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,763
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

I'm just sitting back and waiting. In today's culture it is unfortunately all to often that women seem to be accusing athletes/celebrities of rape and assault. I hope the investigation turns up in Kanes favor, I would like to believe he wouldn't do something like this.
Old Aug. 8th, '15, 12:17 pm   #8
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,174
Winnipeg, Manitoba

If he did it, his ass should be locked up. But it is unfortunate that even if he is completely exonerated at this point, a segment of the population will always associate him with this now that it is public. Its why I don't understand why such cases need to be accompanied by press releases and such. Yes, the guilty can have their names dragged through the mud but sex assault cases are a very sensitive topic that a lot of people can't process and someone being merely investigated doesn't need to involve people who aren't involved in the case.

Old Aug. 8th, '15, 2:31 pm   #9
Berks
_X_
Dec 2008 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
If he did it, his ass should be locked up. But it is unfortunate that even if he is completely exonerated at this point, a segment of the population will always associate him with this now that it is public. Its why I don't understand why such cases need to be accompanied by press releases and such. Yes, the guilty can have their names dragged through the mud but sex assault cases are a very sensitive topic that a lot of people can't process and someone being merely investigated doesn't need to involve people who aren't involved in the case.

Exactly! Their follow-up article was social media paints a picture of Kane's weekend. Pure Garbage!

I will not follow this until he is actually charged will something. Innocent until proven guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Aug. 9th, '15, 9:14 am   #10
Jcon77
Dee Plane, Dee Plane!

Jun 2008 4,268
Tampa, FL
Send a message via MSN to Jcon77 Send a message via AIM to Jcon77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latdogg View Post
I'm just sitting back and waiting. In today's culture it is unfortunately all to often that women seem to be accusing athletes/celebrities of rape and assault. I hope the investigation turns up in Kanes favor, I would like to believe he wouldn't do something like this.
On the other hand a lot of women are silenced because of the intimidation from fans, the media etc. it's unfortunate real journalism gives way to sensationalism in these cases. Kane is innocent in my mind until proven otherwise and if he is exonerated I won't associate this with him. And if the accuser is not telling the truth she should be locked up. That's the worst accusation to make if it isn't true.