Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > Gadgets and Other

Old Aug. 24th, '10, 10:55 pm   #11
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

But what happens if something goes wrong with the phone and you're not able to restore the original OS....your warranty is void and then you're fucked. To me the benefits of a few extra apps, would not be worth paying for another new iPhone.

Last edited by BleedBlueBlood; Aug. 24th, '10 at 11:01 pm.

Old Aug. 24th, '10, 10:58 pm   #12
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Read the first sentence....Apple is working on something to prevent jailbreaking anyway. It's just not out.....yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they install some kind of software to your phone that sends some indicator to Apple itself....who knows.

Old Aug. 24th, '10, 11:00 pm   #13
GrandmasterB
This is Flaming Dragon
Jul 2008 1,284
Colorado
Send a message via MSN to GrandmasterB

If you go to jailbreakme.com through Safari all you have to do is slide the bar to jailbreak and it's done. Takes like 5 minutes for the entire process.

Since I'm on 4.0.2 I can't do it yet, but I will. I want to tether to my MBP for mobile browsing.
http://appurls.com
http://www.grandmasterb.com
------------------------
"Just contact the Mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky...it's in the shape of a giant cock". ~ Hit Girl
Old Aug. 25th, '10, 1:38 am   #14
Jonezy48
#92 Canucks LD

Jul 2008 1,736
Leaf Land
Send a message via MSN to Jonezy48 Send a message via AIM to Jonezy48 Send a message via Skype™ to Jonezy48

I JUST downloaded the newest softwar GMB , im really thinking about sliding that damn bar!
May not be shutdown but, I will not be shutdown
Old Aug. 25th, '10, 6:47 am   #15
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

MGM:

Tell the kid to leave your kids stuff alone, unless you or your wife gave direct permission to alter the phone in any way shape or form.

SP:

98.4% correct on your statement, the iPhone can be restored to ORIGINAL FACTORY DEFAULTS when synced with iTunes and restored. The one thing I would be concerned with in your statement is that Apple doesn't know... I have a sneaky feeling they do.
Ever notice when you do a restore on your iPhone that little pop up that comes up and says "VERIFYING iPHONE RESTORE WITH APPLE" to me that would indicate that they are looking at your iPhones current state (jailbroken or legit reason for restore) and checking what OS version you are running. I am thinking if it rings back that it is in fact jailbroken the serial number is recorded in a database somewhere and the big warranty rejection stamp comes out.

BBB:

I am in the same boat, I am not interested in a jailbreak to gain a couple cool apps at the risk of doing something drastically wrong. I am not against it at all and might grab a used iPod touch to JB, but I won't run the risk on my iPhone 4.

GMB:

jailbreakme.com hack has been closed shut with this patch:
http://www.tgdaily.com/security-feat...ith-ios-update

I thought Tethering was allowed in the US now...
Quote:
the iPhone will get data-tethering when the iPhone OS4 update hits this summer.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...#ixzz0xcLbDmXY
Try it out now, you will love it! Tethering is one of the first things I tried on my iPhone 2 years ago and I am shocked at how much I actually use it.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...d-smartphones/

Jonezy:

Go ahead do it, your young and allowed to make mistakes

Last edited by Phoenix 2.0; Aug. 25th, '10 at 6:52 am.

Old Aug. 25th, '10, 9:21 am   #16
murph
Aug 2010 274
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
Ever notice when you do a restore on your iPhone that little pop up that comes up and says "VERIFYING iPHONE RESTORE WITH APPLE" to me that would indicate that they are looking at your iPhones current state (jailbroken or legit reason for restore) and checking what OS version you are running. I am thinking if it rings back that it is in fact jailbroken the serial number is recorded in a database somewhere and the big warranty rejection stamp comes out.
I'm not saying that Apple couldn't still be doing something like that, but the "Verifying iPhone Restore Message" checks to see what firmware you are trying to install (not what's already installed). After a certain time, Apple stops allowing you to downgrade.

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
http://www.saurik.com/id/12
Quote:
Of course, new hardware comes every year, and Apple decided to strike hard with the new iPhone 3G[S]. Rather than just throw in new local protections, Apple decided that every restore of the device would be verified as being valid and safe by Apple itself.

To do this, during the restore process, users see "Verifying restore with Apple...", during which time a challenge/response protocol is used between the iPhone and Apple: a "partial digest" of the firmware files being used is sent to a server, which can then decide to sign off on the result... or not.

Not only does this allow Apple to keep custom firmwares from getting loaded onto the device, but it also allows them to recall existing firmwares by keeping people from restoring to them in the future. To do this they simply would refuse to ever sign, for example, iPhoneOS 3.0 again.
Old Aug. 25th, '10, 9:28 am   #17
MGM

Jun 2008 1,829
St. Louis, Missouri
Send a message via MSN to MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
Hey Mike, don't worry you're ok. If you want to get rid of the jailbreak all you have to do is restore the phone using itunes. I have my 3GS jailbroken and love it. If at any point in time, the phone should act strange where I need to send it in, I just restore it and they CANNOT tell that it was tampered with.

you look can this information up online if you don't believe me...

there was a new way to hack it by simply going to jailbreakme.com or some site and it would do it for you, no computer needed.

Keep in mind there is a recent update for the iphone 4.0.2. If she updates the phone to this version, the jailbreak will be gone anyways. I have mine at 4.0.1
Thanks Kevin. I'll let it slide for the time being. Good to know, thanks again for the clarification.
Old Aug. 25th, '10, 12:58 pm   #18
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

You're always able to restore direct from itunes no problem. Infact I had a signal issue with Rogers some time ago and they suggested to restore and set phone as new which I did and it helped. Also when the ios4 software came out for the iphones somepeople were reporting slow phones so the fix was to restore as new phone, and this came from Apple..

Aside from some of above mentioned uses for jailbreaking, you can use those wifi only apps by tricking your phone into thinking its using wifi. This is great in going to youtube and not getting just the crummy data stream, but the wifi stream. Also you can install a program called "installous" and you can insteall hundreds of apps for free instead of paying, direct to your phone with no computer needed. I know someone who uses this and it's crazy the apps he has. Also exclusive to the iphone 4 was imovie, and facetime. By jailberaking, you can install these apps..

just sayin...
Old Aug. 25th, '10, 2:08 pm   #19
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Quote:
Also exclusive to the iphone 4 was imovie, and facetime. By jailberaking, you can install these apps..
did you install Facetime?

Old Aug. 25th, '10, 3:01 pm   #20
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

no I didnt..