Old Aug. 24th, '10, 3:40 pm   #1
BleedBlueBlood
Toronto Owner/Captain

Jun 2008 18,309
Toronto
Default Is your iphone jailbroken?

To jailbreak or not to jailbreak: That shouldn't be Apple's decision

By Sam Diaz | August 23, 2010, 12:04pm PDT

Apple is taking steps via the patent office to keep iPhone owners from “jailbreaking” their devices, a practice the that U.S Copyright Office declared last month to no longer be a violation of federal copyright law but one that remains a warranty breaker as far as Apple is concerned.

A CNET post over the weekend sifted through the details of the patent, which was originally filed in February 2009 but published last week. In a nutshell, the patent covers security measures that essentially protects devices from thieve and other “unauthorized users.” From the CNET post:

Unauthorized users apparently applies to those who engage in jailbreaking, which allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system–such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses.The application, which was filed in February 2009 and published Thursday, describes measures to identify “particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior,” so that “safety measures” can be taken to restrict the device’s functions. Those activities include the “hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card,” according to the application. Apple also intends to send warnings to owners via e-mail or text message when such activity is detected.

Of course, I can appreciate what Apple is doing by trying to protect its customers. No one wants unauthorized charges and certainly customers want to block thieves from seeing their personal data. But why should that include jailbreaking? Who is Apple trying to protect me from? Myself?

If I want to jailbreak an iPhone so I can use it on another carrier and, as an adult, I understand the risks involved with taking that action, is it really Apple’s place to stop me? After all, I own the phone. It’s mine. I bought it. If I want to scrape my name into the back of it with a razor blade or paint it bright red, I should be able to do anything I want to do with it. And that includes jailbreaking.

Would I really jailbreak an iPhone? Not really. Who needs the headaches that go with that? But that’s for me to decide, not Apple. Apple did its part by reminding iPhone owners that jailbreaking would void the warranty. That’s where it should end.

Old Aug. 24th, '10, 4:21 pm   #2
murph
Aug 2010 274
NY

i keep my jailbroken. mostly for re-sale value later on when i replace or upgrade.

i'm getting kind of sick of Apple's policies. no homescreen widgets, no Google Voice app, etc. Android is getting more and more appealing to me, but it's not quite there yet. i've demo'ed a VZW Incredible and VZW Droid 2, but still rock the iPhone 3GS.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 8:14 pm   #3
MGM

Jun 2008 1,829
St. Louis, Missouri
Send a message via MSN to MGM

I just got me, my wife and my oldest daughter iPhone 4 and got a new 3gs for my 12 year old daughter. The 12 yr. old came home on Saturday and showed me all the cool things this friend of her's did to her phone (Jailbroke it). Should I be concerned? Once a phone is jailbroken, can it be reversed in order to comply with Apple's warranty? Should I go after the kid that did it?
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 8:16 pm   #4
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Should I go after the kid that did it?
Definitely! However I wouldn't go overboard and shoot her or anything maybe just a pistol whip across the back of the head would be enough. Just my opinion though, you may want to get a 2nd opinion.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 8:23 pm   #5
MGM

Jun 2008 1,829
St. Louis, Missouri
Send a message via MSN to MGM

It was a family friend of the people she was spending the night with. She said he was a 25 yr. old cpu geek. I would only resort to pistol whipping if he refused to pay for a new phone. Seriously, is this something I should be worried about? I was kind of pissed when she showed me, then I looked up Jailbreaking on Wiki and discoverd that it's not illeagal. I'm just worried that if she drops it or has problems, we are screwed....I mean the phone was 6 F'ing days old and this punk basically takes it upon himself to void the warranty.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 8:26 pm   #6
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
It was a family friend of the people she was spending the night with. She said he was a 25 yr. old cpu geek. I would only resort to pistol whipping if he refused to pay for a new phone. Seriously, is this something I should be worried about? I was kind of pissed when she showed me, then I looked up Jailbreaking on Wiki and discoverd that it's not illeagal. I'm just worried that if she drops it or has problems, we are screwed....I mean the phone was 6 F'ing days old and this punk basically takes it upon himself to void the warranty.
Oh sorry, I didn't realize he did it to your daughters phone. I thought your daughter was just showing you her friends phone which was jailbroken. That is a giant dick move of him... I change my opinion... I think you should shoot him.

I would love to help you out MGM but I don't know enough about iPhones I am sure one of these other apple geeks can help you out though.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 8:30 pm   #7
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

I honestly don't see how Apple not wanting you to jailbreak phone is any different then M$ not wanting you to hack the 360. Or Sony not wanting you to hack the PSP. All three allow you to do things the manufacture never intended for you to do.

As for doing it for another carrier, that's the sacrifice you make if you want a iPhone. Just like if you want to play Halo you buy a 360. Or if you want NFL Sunday Ticket you have to buy DirecTV.

My 3GS is not jailbroken and I really don't see the advantage to doing it. But I understand completely why apple wants to stop it.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 9:03 pm   #8
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

Hey Mike, don't worry you're ok. If you want to get rid of the jailbreak all you have to do is restore the phone using itunes. I have my 3GS jailbroken and love it. If at any point in time, the phone should act strange where I need to send it in, I just restore it and they CANNOT tell that it was tampered with.

you look can this information up online if you don't believe me...

there was a new way to hack it by simply going to jailbreakme.com or some site and it would do it for you, no computer needed.

Keep in mind there is a recent update for the iphone 4.0.2. If she updates the phone to this version, the jailbreak will be gone anyways. I have mine at 4.0.1
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 9:13 pm   #9
Drake
I don't hold hands

Jul 2008 3,798
Jersey shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
i keep my jailbroken. mostly for re-sale value later on when i replace or upgrade.

i'm getting kind of sick of Apple's policies. no homescreen widgets, no Google Voice app, etc. Android is getting more and more appealing to me, but it's not quite there yet. i've demo'ed a VZW Incredible and VZW Droid 2, but still rock the iPhone 3GS.
AT&T pays apple something like $18 per month per iphone so I cant blame them for not wanting us to switch carriers.

Ive had my iphone (both actually) jailbroken at various times. Theres a few cool things, the custom themes are nice but overall it didnt seem like i was gaining much so went back to the standard OS.

Last edited by Drake; Aug. 24th, '10 at 9:16 pm.
Old Aug. 24th, '10, 10:34 pm   #10
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
there was a new way to hack it by simply going to jailbreakme.com or some site and it would do it for you, no computer needed.
If that works as well as it says, may give it a shot just to see what all the fuss is about.