Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Consoles > Nintendo

Old Jun. 19th, '08, 11:07 pm   #1
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0
Default Wii bit of a disappointment?

I must say that I own a Wii but haven't even turned it on for probably 3 months. Does anyone else also find this the case? I enjoyed the thrill of it all when it first came out but I think it is the lack of games that has prevented me from playing it more.

I purchased the Mario vs Sonic Olympics and it was a fun game but it definitely wasn't as in depth as I hoped it would be. It feels like it is a toy right now and I haven't even seen anything coming out for it that even slightly interests me.

I guess I am not the target audience but I definitely wouldn't have bought it if I knew how bad the lack of game support for it would be.
Old Jun. 19th, '08, 11:20 pm   #2
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

I don't want one. However, my sister and brother-in-law have one and it's perfect for them and our family get togethers. They aren't home very much so they hardly have any time to play games. My family usually gets together over at their house whenever my sister is in town and/or for birthdays or other occasions. Therefore, the Wii is perfect for pick up and play that everyone can enjoy. As an example, my Grandma was over at the house the other day and although hesitant, was able to play Skee-ball very easily.

After playing Wii fit, I have to say that I've been tempted by the system. The Wii Board is absolutely amazing and very, very fun. While some of the games are fun, others are boring. But the accuracy/sensitivity of the board makes things really fun. I mean, it reads extremely subtle shifts of weight.

My dream game would be a Winter Olympics game using the Wii Board. You could sit on it for bobsled, luge, etc. Skiing (jumping, slalom, downhill) is a no brainer and are in Wii Fit but not really technical. Snowboarding is also in Wii Fit, but again, not really in depth. You could also have speed skating by leaning left and right.

Anyway, I like the pick up and play of the games but I can't see myself ever playing when it's not a group of people. Therefore, I think its great having the system in the family, but it's not for me I have a PS3 that I haven't turned on in a month or so.
Old Jun. 20th, '08, 10:42 am   #3
pixel_archived

Jun 2008 0

I agree that it is a good system for family fun. Just that with the way it works, the potential is incredible and it drives me nuts that they aren't using it. If they made a game like 1080 back on the N64 but with a snowboard that you stand on to play it would sell like mad. Like you said, they have these games but they are very basic and not in depth at all.

All the games require multiple people or it is useless to play. However, if they started making some real games and not just pre-teen games for it I think the Wii would be awesome. However, it doesn't look like it is going to happen.
Old Jun. 20th, '08, 10:45 am   #4
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,694
Boston

I don't have one either, though I've seen a few at friends' homes and I can see the appeal for a family console. That said, my oldest likes to play Tennis and Golf on the 360, so I see no reason not to keep him (and his siblings) on the path to bypass the Wii. Especially the PS3 with its smaller controllers. Once they have some decent kid-friendly games they'll probably be gaming on that thing.

Old Jul. 7th, '08, 12:01 pm   #5
kabbott50

Jun 2008 2,755
St. John's, NL
Send a message via MSN to kabbott50

Pixel...i'll give you $20 for it, right now.

#proudnewfie
Old Jul. 7th, '08, 12:29 pm   #6
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,634
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

I agree and disagree. I have had one for a while now and I never touch it, I recently moved it where the wife watches tv in hopes that she will play with it!! Anyway 5 months later and nothing. If i had more time i would probably play it. I have a hard enough time trying to find the time to play the PS3..

Last edited by bones56; Jul. 7th, '08 at 12:34 pm.

Old Jul. 7th, '08, 1:41 pm   #7
Bingo King
Jun 2008 149
Wisconsin
Send a message via MSN to Bingo King

i dislike it cuz while it does have it's cool moments all too often i'm frustrated cuz i lose out cuz the motion's not being picked up cuz i'm moving it too fast. it can be fun in a party environment
Old Jul. 7th, '08, 4:48 pm   #8
TommyNuGuns

Jul 2008 924
Lebanon,Ohio
Send a message via AIM to TommyNuGuns Send a message via Yahoo to TommyNuGuns

I used to have one but ended up selling it to a buddy. While occasionally I loved using the wii controller for games like Resident Evil 4 and Wario Ware there were other times where I wish I just had good old regular controller for games such as the new Zelda. There just wasn't enough games to interest me to justify the space it was taking up. If I had kids though I could definetly see it coming in handy in being alot of fun but its not for me.
Old Jul. 7th, '08, 4:49 pm   #9
Jcon77
Dee Plane, Dee Plane!

Jun 2008 4,268
Tampa, FL
Send a message via MSN to Jcon77 Send a message via AIM to Jcon77

Yeah I agree with the party element. Anyone remember that flow chart to help you decide which system you should get. "Do you like games?" If yes then buy a PC. Good stuff.

Old Jul. 7th, '08, 4:54 pm   #10
Bingo King
Jun 2008 149
Wisconsin
Send a message via MSN to Bingo King

it's a gimmick in my eyes, and gimmicks get old fast. a "fad"