Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Consoles > Nintendo

Old Mar. 15th, '09, 4:12 pm   #1
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99
Default Looking to buy a Wii

Hey guys, my sister has informed me that she's looking to buy a Nintendo Wii and the Wii Fit. Figured I'd post here and make sure someone wasn't looking to sell theirs for a really good price. lol

So far the best place looks to be from Target, as they have a Wii & Wii Fit combo for $339.99. It's really not saving anything compared to just buying them separate but since the Wii Fit seems to be pretty hard to find, figured buying the combo would be best.

Since I know nothing about the Wii or the Wii Fit, just wanted to post and make sure there isn't anything she needs to look out for. Or something else that you guys would recommend picking up for the Wii?
Old Mar. 15th, '09, 4:17 pm   #2
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
Or something else that you guys would recommend picking up for the Wii?

An Xbox 360 because the Wii's are absolute crap. My Wife has one and I swear it looks like a N64 with the crappy graphics and craptacular games. My Wife said the Wii fit get's boring really quick and she'd rather her work out videos over that. Besides the basic extra controllers there really isn't much extra you need to buy...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Mar. 15th, '09, 4:35 pm   #3
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolute View Post
An Xbox 360 because the Wii's are absolute crap. My Wife has one and I swear it looks like a N64 with the crappy graphics and craptacular games. My Wife said the Wii fit get's boring really quick and she'd rather her work out videos over that. Besides the basic extra controllers there really isn't much extra you need to buy...
I agree 100%, as I'd take a 360 over it anyday but she says she's used it at one of her friends house and swears she'll use it all the time. I told her it'll probably end up like everybody else I know with a Wii and use it for about 2 months and then not touch it again.
Old Mar. 15th, '09, 4:37 pm   #4
Synyster Diablo

Jul 2008 4,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
I agree 100%, as I'd take a 360 over it anyday but she says she's used it at one of her friends house and swears she'll use it all the time. I told her it'll probably end up like everybody else I know with a Wii and use it for about 2 months and then not touch it again.
lol

my kids use it still but that's because they don't know any better and I don't let them touch my 360 that often
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old Mar. 15th, '09, 5:01 pm   #5
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolute View Post
My Wife said the Wii fit get's boring really quick and she'd rather her work out videos over that. Besides the basic extra controllers there really isn't much extra you need to buy...
Terrible recommendation There are so many games that use the Balance Board now that I think it's a wise decision to buy. Will I buy it? No. It's not something I would enjoy alone but I have a blast with when my family gets together at my sister's house. My niece and nephew love the balance board (2 and 3 years old).

Winter Sports, although I haven't gotten into it is a blast. Shaun White's snowboarding is an even bigger blast.

As to the question at hand, I don't know anyone selling theirs unfortunately.

Other than Achievements, I think the Wii is actually more suited for games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero World Tour. Those games don't need graphics so they play well on the Wii.
Old Mar. 15th, '09, 8:25 pm   #6
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

http://forum.xbox-sports.com/showthr...7146#post47146

just posting this here

Old Mar. 15th, '09, 10:02 pm   #7
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by P403N1X View Post
Not to sound like a dick but was this post really necessary? It has nothing to do with Wii or Wii Fit. It'd be kinda like me posting a link to a 2k game in a EA thread. On top of that the Active isn't out right now. It's not out till May 19th. Plus it doesn't include the Wii balance board, so you'll have to spend another $90 on Wii Fit to buy it anyway.
Old Mar. 16th, '09, 10:05 am   #8
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

Whoa whoa whoa....all this talk about touching systems....are these inappropriate touches???

I have both Wii and Wii Fit. I actually go through phases of playing Wii and XBOX360. Actually, I always play 360, but off and on with Wii. I actually enjoy Wii Fit, which is what comes with the balance board, but once you go through everything, it doesn't feel like there is too much variety. But I do think the balance board is worth it. I do have fun with it. Wii Fit is broken down into Yoga, Strength Training, and Cardio, and Balance Games. Yoga is mostly about stretching and balance. Strength is about things like crunches and pushups. Cardio is like jogging (which you don't do on the board oddly enough) and that hulahoop game. And games are simply that...they don't really offer any exercise value. And everytime you do any of these activities, you gain "credits" which they don't tell you about, but the more credits you gain, the more activities you unlock. Not all of the exercises are available at the beginning of training.

If she really wants the Wii for exercise, I also have another exercise "game" called My Personal Fitness Coach or something like that. You don't use the balance board for it. In fact, it asks if you have a step, or dumbells, or one of those balance balls. If you don't have any, or if you have a combo of them, it tailors a workout routine for you. I actually feel this would work better if you are looking for cardio and getting in shape than Wii Fit would. I have all of the extras, but they are in the basement and the Wii is upstairs with not as much room as needed, so I just do exercise sessions that don't involve any of them, and the game tailors it accordingly. It actually gets my heart rate up with all of the kicks and jumping and hopping around. The exercise sessions are broken down into categories, which I forget. I think there's a cardio, lower body, upper body, etc. And it asks you how long you want to exercise...15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, etc. You never use the Wii remote for any of the exercises, but after a set of exercised, it will intermittently ask you if that last group was too easy, too hard, or just right for your skill level and stamina.

I don't think P403N1X was being a dick. He was just giving you another option if its really exercise games she's into. He's just posting about what he does know. It may not be directly related to Wii Fit, but I do know when I'm looking for help any suggestion is greatly appreciated (in fact I know I got into an arguement with a neighbor because I asked for who did his patio for him, and I never got a response and I finally pinned him down.....he said he wasn't happy with the work that was done and couldn't recommend them....I told him a non-recommendation is just as strong as a good recommendation cause I wouldn't have wanted to make the same mistake he did). Rob is the EA community guy and he's just trying to let you know about a product he knows about....not forcing you into it by any means.

As far as regular games and you being able to use the system too, I am having a blast with Mad World. It has the best graphics on the system and is really fun, although the further I get into it I may get bored with it being repetitive. You can always pick up some mindless gun shooting games like the House of the Dead and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

The Legend of Zelda game I never completed, nor did I ever get into the series, but I felt it was a great game. And all of the Marios are awesome, from Paper, to Galaxy, to Kart.

Last edited by OldTimeHockey; Mar. 16th, '09 at 3:56 pm.

Old Mar. 16th, '09, 10:18 am   #9
bones56
I lock people up

Jun 2008 5,634
Long Island NY
Send a message via MSN to bones56 Send a message via AIM to bones56

I just bought the wii fit for my wife (roughly a month ago). I am still waiting for her to ask me to set it up for her. I even reminded her this past weekend to let me know when she wants me to set it up.. lol She wants a lot of the wii stuff but never touches it.. I guess my point is i have a lot of stuff that never gets used. Oh well i guess we will see. good luck!!

Old Mar. 16th, '09, 10:47 am   #10
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN

Thanks OTH, I'll let her know that info. Since I know absolutely nothing about the Wii or the Wii Fit, I'm trying to do as much research for her as possible. To make sure she knows exactly what she's getting. She said she's messed with it a few times at a friends house but hate to see her spend that kinda money to not use it much.