Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > Gadgets and Other

Old Aug. 16th, '13, 8:30 am   #1
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99
Default Nokia Lumia 928

Well I swore I was gonna go to Straight Talk once my contract was up. Well after doing research on it, think I'll stick with Verizon. Reviews online are that when it works, it works great but when you have to contact customer service, it's horrible. It seems they mainly use AT&T towers and we just moved to a house kinda in the boondocks, LOL and my mom and sister (both AT&T) had issues last week getting signal. Plus unless you want a 10 year old dumb phone you have to pay full price for a phone. So think I'll take paying a bit more a month and less up front for dependable service, since we won't have a home phone.

Saw last night that the Lumia 928 is now free from Verizon. So now my question is, has anybody here used the 928 before? From what I can gather, it seem to be the same as the 920 but different outside of the phone and made for Verizon? Has great reviews on Verizon website. Figured I'd ask here as well.

Last edited by Jeffrey99; Aug. 16th, '13 at 12:20 pm.
Old Aug. 16th, '13, 9:24 am   #2
DrugMonkeyRX
Pack it up

Jul 2008 7,220
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to DrugMonkeyRX Send a message via AIM to DrugMonkeyRX

I think BBB and CW own that phone...from what I remember them saying they loved the camera....
I'm sure they will chime in
Old Aug. 16th, '13, 12:10 pm   #3
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Whiskey and I have the 920 model. Speaking for myself, I absolutely love the phone. Best camera in a phone which was important to me (I'm always taking great pics of my kids and videos too). Large viewing screen. Viewing sites and typing is a breeze. It's a windows phone so lots of cool MS features. I like the Xbox stuff as well

Last edited by BleedBlueBlood; Aug. 16th, '13 at 12:27 pm.

Old Aug. 16th, '13, 5:12 pm   #4
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

A+ across the board is what I hear, can't go wrong with it.

Old Aug. 19th, '13, 2:22 pm   #5
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Well went and pick the 928 up Friday night. So far love the phone. Love the video and images from it. Might finally have found a phone that eliminates need for a digital camera and digital camcorder. Kinda sucks missing a few apps that are available on iOS or Andriod that's not available on WP. Wife also got one and she's mad there's no Candy Crush. LOL Do love the fact that it has Microsoft Office on it. Impossible to find a case around here. LOL

So to anyone with a WP, any apps that you'd recommend?
Old Aug. 19th, '13, 2:38 pm   #6
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

I have the otter box case, defender I think it's called.

Old Aug. 19th, '13, 3:17 pm   #7
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
I have the otter box case, defender I think it's called.
Unfortunately the casing of the 928 is thinner or bigger or something. Anyway from what I've read online the Lumia 920 cases won't work with the 928. So case options are very limited. Did find a Otterbox style case made by a different company. Ordered it off Amazon today.
Old Dec. 18th, '13, 6:31 am   #8
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN

Figured I'd update everybody, incase anyone else is looking at the 928 or another Windows Phone. The wife and I hate these phones. We have just this week bought used S3 and S3 mini's. Aside from the camera (both photo and video) I think the phone sucks. LOL Here's my review from Verizon.com

Pros:
+Camera takes pictures and records great. Works very well in low light condition's.
+I like to the OS. It's different but also very bare bones.
+Long Battery Life
+Good call quality
+Mobile version of Office
Cons:
- About 1-2 times a week the screen will be completely unresponsive. Will have to do a hard reset to reboot it.
- The OS has a habit of not multitasking well. If you don't treat it like a old computer, it'll just hang on "Resuming" with the dots going across the screen. Then you guessed it, another reboot.
- About 50% of the time, it'll tell me "internet sharing isn't available at this time". To fix either have to do Airplane mode on, then off or if that doesn't work, yup another reboot.
- Can't have custom ringtones for SMS messages, only the 5-6 that come with the phone. Come on, this is 2013, that feature has been around for years. It's suppose to be added in a update but who knows when that'll actually hit my phone.
- But by far the biggest drawback with this phone, is the App Store. 90% of apps you are currently using on iOS or Android, will not be available on WP.
- No FM radio with recent update.
Old Dec. 18th, '13, 8:27 am   #9
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,408
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to canadianwhiskey

Too bad. I love my 920. No problems at all except for the personalized ring tones but that is in the works.

Old Dec. 18th, '13, 9:09 am   #10
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,193
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwhiskey View Post
Too bad. I love my 920. No problems at all except for the personalized ring tones but that is in the works.
Yeah, I have the 920 also and I have zero complaints. I was aware before buying it that there wasn't nearly as many apps for it yet like Android or iPhone, but I'm not an app junkie. I have what I need, so I'm happy as a clam. I've taken the best pictures and videos of my kids with this phone...better than any other phone I've ever had. When I send pics to people, they've asked me "what kind of camera do you have?", I tell them it's just my phone and they respond with "wow, what kind of phone do you have?"

Jeffery, your problems must be related to the 928 model specifically because I've never experienced any of those issues you list.