Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Consoles > Playstation

Old Oct. 7th, '08, 3:17 pm   #1
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo
Default Heavy Rain [PS3]

I just read about a game that is the reason I wanted and have a PS3. It won't be out until late 2009 though. It's called "Heavy Rain". I won't go into detail, but here is a bit of info.

The game is based on how you act/react rather than shooting and killing. For instance, the example they used was you're a journalist that goes into a suspected killer's (who happens to be a taxidermist) house. You realize he's not home so you let yourself in through the garage. On the garage floor is some blood which is understandable since he's a taxidermist. But there is also some women's clothing scattered nearby. Upon further investigation you end up in the bathroom and find a mutilated woman's body in a bathtub. Just as you are processing all of this, he comes home. Here's where it gets interesting.

The game goes to split screen. So, you see what he's doing on one side, and you're controlling the other Obviously there are several outcomes that can happen at this point. You kill him, he kills you, you sneak out of the house, the police show up, etc. All of this will shape how the story plays out.

Another unique feature will be the use of the sixaxis. To open a window for example, you walk over to it and raise your controller in the air as if opening the window. To push a door, you move the controller in a pushing motion. The sixaxis will also serve as a way to talk. Tilting it up or down will result in different responses.

Anyway, not that this game couldn't be done on the 360, but the 360 just doesn't have nearly enough of these types of games. And these types of games are why I got a PS3.
Old Oct. 7th, '08, 3:47 pm   #2
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
I just read about a game that is the reason I wanted and have a PS3. It won't be out until late 2009 though. It's called "Heavy Rain". I won't go into detail, but here is a bit of info.

The game is based on how you act/react rather than shooting and killing. For instance, the example they used was you're a journalist that goes into a suspected killer's (who happens to be a taxidermist) house. You realize he's not home so you let yourself in through the garage. On the garage floor is some blood which is understandable since he's a taxidermist. But there is also some women's clothing scattered nearby. Upon further investigation you end up in the bathroom and find a mutilated woman's body in a bathtub. Just as you are processing all of this, he comes home. Here's where it gets interesting.

The game goes to split screen. So, you see what he's doing on one side, and you're controlling the other Obviously there are several outcomes that can happen at this point. You kill him, he kills you, you sneak out of the house, the police show up, etc. All of this will shape how the story plays out.

Another unique feature will be the use of the sixaxis. To open a window for example, you walk over to it and raise your controller in the air as if opening the window. To push a door, you move the controller in a pushing motion. The sixaxis will also serve as a way to talk. Tilting it up or down will result in different responses.

Anyway, not that this game couldn't be done on the 360, but the 360 just doesn't have nearly enough of these types of games. And these types of games are why I got a PS3.
Sounded very cool untill I got to the highlighted part. Maybe it's just me but I hate the six axis gimmick. Never been a single PS3 game that I've actually used it on. Game does sound really cool, if you can have as many outcomes as you say.
Old Oct. 7th, '08, 4:00 pm   #3
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
Sounded very cool untill I got to the highlighted part. Maybe it's just me but I hate the six axis gimmick. Never been a single PS3 game that I've actually used it on. Game does sound really cool, if you can have as many outcomes as you say.
I actually do agree with you. But this one sound different to me which is why I included that feature. From what I can tell, this is more of a walk around and explore type of game. Therefore, I think it will work and really immerse you into the game.

You use the trigger to walk around and and if you want to go left, you look left. So it's not like it's a FPS or anything where you have to be precise. So I think raising the controller to lift a window like the example I read, will actually be alright. But having to actually move things with that damn motion thing is annoying as heck. I think the game I used it most in was Fl0W and that game didn't require precise movements but it still wasn't fun at all.

And as far as dialogue goes, it's too early to understand what they meant.
Old Oct. 7th, '08, 4:50 pm   #4
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,694
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
I had the exact same reaction you did. I am still very much intrigued by this game, as the (open) gameplay is something that could potentially make this a very fun and replayable game.

I have to admit, that nothing has come close to Assassin's Creed as far as gameplay for me. My only wish was for that game to be bigger. I hope they come out with AC2 and take us through another time period, or three or four.

But I digress, Heavy Rain does look promising!

Old Oct. 7th, '08, 5:01 pm   #5
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,611
Canada

This video hooked me a long time ago. The day this come out I buy a PS3...if I don't have on by then.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10757.html

A link to other vids.
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2717.html

TY for putting this back on my radar juji.

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self
Old Oct. 7th, '08, 5:22 pm   #6
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Winkle View Post
Hmmm, watched the gameplay footage and it's a bit more "actiony" than I thought it'd be. Probably not a bad thing or people other than me wouldn't buy it

I forgot to mention until I saw some comments that it's from the makers of Indigo Prophecy. That game really piqued my interest, but I never played it. That's the problem with these type of games, they get me interested, but then there is always a flaw. I loved the demo of Indigo, but when the actual game came out there were a bunch of problems from what I read. People still really liked it, but the problems turned me off for sure.
Old Oct. 7th, '08, 7:40 pm   #7
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,694
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujimum View Post
That's the problem with these type of games, they get me interested, but then there is always a flaw.
I feel your pain with this. As a HUGE mmorpg and Sci-Fi fanboy it has been heart-breaking to see the joke that is Star Wars Galaxies, and the failure of Star Trek Online to even get off the ground. So much potential, so much disappointment.

Old May. 25th, '09, 7:42 pm   #8
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Old May. 25th, '09, 9:00 pm   #9
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by P403N1X View Post
This games looks amazing!
Video looks pretty good. Just really hope that the use of six axis isn't required, as that will pretty much make it a game killer for me. As now I use a wired 360 controller and a XCM Cross Battle adapter for the PS3, so there is no way I can use Six Axis without unhooking that controller and turning on a wireless one.

But the game is a sure fire rental if nothing else.
Old Feb. 13th, '10, 7:53 am   #10
Jeffrey99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN

The playable demo is now on PSN for anybody interested. Demo makes me even more excited for the 23rd. Game is looking really good.

For anyone with the XCM adapter like me, the game is unplayable with it. Even in the demo, you can see that action scenes will require the use of the six axis and most of the time you only have so long to do the action. For example, kicking open a door or something. So everyone even those of us with the XCM will have to suffer through the game with the Six Axis controller.

As for the demo, one thing I dislike is that you have to hold down R2 to walk, while the right thumbstick are your actions. My problem with that is that even if you aren't walking, there seems to be no way to move the camera around. You seem to be stuck to 2 cameras. But other then that, the demo was very fun to play.