Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Electronics > Gadgets and Other

Old Aug. 30th, '12, 1:41 am   #1
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo
Default Apps Recommendations...

...or reviews. Android, iOS, etc.

I just bought a tablet (old and refurbished) and was looking through some of the apps. I know in some other threads we've had people recommending certain apps for tablets, phones, etc. So I figured maybe a dedicated thread would be cool.

My tablet didn't come with a manual so I was just learning it on the fly. So I downloaded a few apps. Mostly what I'll get are free apps. Anyway....here's my first list.

I'm not going to research if it's iOS or Android only. My stuff will be Android
  • Songify - From the people who do Songify the News. Basically you press a button to record, speak into the device, then stop the recording. It almost immediately creates an auto-tuned song of what you just said. It's been fun so far but I don't know if it's enough to spend money on buying different songs. Works fairly well. I've had a few problems with it missing words but I think it's just the way I'm talking. I think it's worth checking out even if you delete it soon after (it's free, extra songs cost).
  • Autorap - Very similar to Songify (made by the same people) but it does some raps with your spoken text. Surprisingly, I've laughed more with this one but I can basically say the same as I did with Songify. I do think this one does a bit better of mixing up what you said. (it's free, extra songs cost)
  • Magic Piano - Same people as above This "game" is kind of cool and kind of hard. Maybe because I'm getting used to using a tablet, I don't know. But it's kind of a guitar hero-ish type of game where you have to hit dots as they scroll down the screen. Multiple fingers play chords. Probably more of a time-killer than anything but I found it to be fun. Worth paying for new songs? Not yet. You can also play free style. (it's free, extra songs cost)
  • NHL 3D Live Wallpaper - I have not downloaded this one yet but most likely will. It looks awesome. You get the "playoff edition" for free and it's 1.99 to download your favorite team. See video below. *EDIT* There is also an NFL 3d version

Songify:

Autorap:

Magic Piano:

NHL 3D Live Wallpaper:

NFL 3D:

Last edited by jujimum; Aug. 30th, '12 at 1:46 am.
Old Aug. 30th, '12, 3:21 pm   #2
Blackzyuk
The Band is Back
Aug 2011 2,100
New Bedford
Send a message via MSN to Blackzyuk Send a message via AIM to Blackzyuk

Songnify is hilarious, downloaded it, and the kids love it
Old Sep. 7th, '12, 12:14 am   #3
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

A few more that might be fun with kids. Probably not long lasting fun but worth the free download.

All three are by Pivi and Co.

AgingBooth - Makes you old
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dpbmdib290aCJd

BaldBooth - Makes you Bald
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...YWxkYm9vdGgiXQ..

MixBooth - Mixes two photos. Basically puts a face onto another head.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5taXhib290aCJd

There's also a FatBooth but I felt that was fairly redundant
Old Sep. 7th, '12, 2:15 am   #4
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,118
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Nice. I bought the NYR and Niners wallpaper.
Old Dec. 14th, '12, 8:41 pm   #5
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Oldie but goodie?

Google Sky Map:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tardroid&hl=en

This one is kind of cool especially since the niece and nephew are getting into astronomy. The first night I used the map with my niece she was practically screaming that she saw Jupiter. She's been talking about it ever since.

Personally, I wish there was a "transparency" mode so to speak. While the app is awesome, I wish you could have the app's map as an overlay while your using your camera lense. So you'd see both the overlay AND the actual sky. Either way, it's really accurate and enough that even without a telescope or whatever, you can find these objects.

Old Dec. 14th, '12, 10:43 pm   #6
DrugMonkeyRX
Pack it up

Jul 2008 7,220
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to DrugMonkeyRX Send a message via AIM to DrugMonkeyRX

Thats pretty sick...these phones will be wiping our asses in a few yrs
Old Dec. 15th, '12, 3:52 am   #7
Jeffrey99
New GT: drummerJ99

Jul 2008 3,096
Columbus, IN
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey99 Send a message via AIM to Jeffrey99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffrey99

Just got a Nexus 7 last week. Mainly bought it for reading ebooks and magazines. Here's two of the best alps I've found for that.

For Android:
Manzano Reader: Free, $2.99, & $6.99. – about best magazine I've found for rooms and pdf magazines.

Zinio: good place to buy digital magazines. Works well known both iOS and Android.
Old Dec. 15th, '12, 4:06 am   #8
Latdogg
Chicago

Jul 2008 2,761
Fontanafredda, Italy
Send a message via MSN to Latdogg Send a message via Skype™ to Latdogg Send a message via Yahoo to Latdogg

My favorite/most used app is called Whatsapp. VERY good way for me to stay in contact with all my family back home. I also have a chat room with my fellow NCOs at work so we can always stay on the same page with stuff. It is much better than SMS texting where you have a limited amount each month.
Old Dec. 29th, '12, 2:33 am   #9
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

I don't think I have to mention Draw Something or Words with Friends. I will mention that those are cross-platform though so that's been a blast this weekend.

Also, I took this screenshot from the Songza app a short while ago. The options I had sort of made me laugh (if the category didn't make me laugh, the image for it did):

Old Apr. 30th, '13, 1:33 pm   #10
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

They've updated the NHL Live Wallpaper and it's kind of cool.

The animated ticker has updated info which is neat. Today, the Blues version had a link to today's press conference by some players and Hitchcock.

The shooting the puck thing is kind of lame, but overall the thing is cool looking in my opinion. My version doesn't have the scoreboard and I've searched all of the settings (*EDIT* It's a widget ). I'll look again though. The android version is supposed to have Gmail alerts (when you get new mail). I have not seen it work yet.

It's $3.49 to unlock your team bundle. $6+ to unlock all teams.

*EDIT* IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER THAN THIS VIDEO INDICATES

This official NHL 2013 Live Wallpaper app for your Android device lets you tap and shoot a hockey puck directly from your home screen! Double-tap the large spinning puck that displays by default and the puck changes views. When the puck is flat on the ice, simply tap once to shoot and watch it slam into the net... GOAL!

Equipped with updated official logos and animated fans in team colors, you'll be sure to let everyone looking at your device from over your shoulder know who you're rooting for.

New for this season is an animated ticker in the arena that displays up-to-date news and Twitter feeds on the NHL and your team of choice, as well as a clock widget "jumbotron" that displays real-time scores, game schedules and weather!

In addition, there are new premium text alerts and email notifications.

You can also purchase official NHL team ringtones in-app!

Now more than ever, this dazzling collection of live wallpapers allows you to stay connected to your NHL team of choice; whether you're at home on the couch or on the ice shooting slap shots!

*Free to download and comes with one free NHL themed live wallpaper.
*Clock widget and ticker that displays up-to-date news, weather, team scores, and Twitter feeds.
*Choose how to interact with the hockey puck via 2 different options.
*The ability to "shoot the hockey puck" right on your home screen (with sounds).
*Animated fans in team colors.
*SMS and Email notification.
*Day and Night detection indicated via the brightness of the arena's lighting.
*Made with official release software to ensure quality and performance.
*Officially licensed release from the NHL.
*All 30 teams have a live wallpaper available for in-app purchase.

Last edited by jujimum; Apr. 30th, '13 at 1:58 pm.