Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Technology > Consoles > Nintendo

Old Mar. 13th, '09, 2:03 am   #1
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0
Default Wii Fit has competition

http://www.easportsactive.com/home.action

Quote:
Fitness Made Fun
We get it: in the battle of couch versus gym, the couch usually wins. Itís so much easier to find an excuse than to actually do the workout. But what if your gym was two feet away from the couch and your workout was actually fun to do? Meet EA SPORTS Active, the motivating fitness program you can do at home at any time. With over 25 calorie-burning, muscle-toning exercises and activities, daily progress reports, and encouraging virtual personal trainers, youíll get gym-worthy results without even thinking of making an excuse!

Old Mar. 13th, '09, 9:15 am   #2
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

I'm keeping my eye on this one. The probelm with my exercise routine is that it is monotonous and I never change it up. I've been adding Wii Fit and My Fitness Coach to my Elliptical and Weights and that has helped drastically. I saw about this one. Hopefully there is more to it that just the rubber bands.

Old May. 14th, '09, 10:24 pm   #3
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

That site now has commercials for it and the game comes out Tuesday (May 19th). There are also more videos besides commercials that include 30-day challenges.
Old May. 15th, '09, 2:23 pm   #4
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ

I'm a sucker and will probably pick this one up. I work out on my own, but sometimes fall into a rut with variety, which is something I hope accumulating tons of Wii fitness games will give after lifting.

Old Jun. 5th, '09, 9:45 am   #5
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ

So I purchased this the day it came out, but never got a chance to play because I was going away on vacation and it came out the same day as Punch Out and UFC (on 360). I come back from vacay with an injured ankle, which somewhat heals, but then I get drastically sick.

So a little over 2 weeks later, I finally got to try it out last night and I have to say this is the best "video game" exercise program I have. I feel it gives better cardio than Fit and is more fun to play.

Old Jun. 5th, '09, 12:10 pm   #6
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

I thought this was more female oriented.. is that not the case?
Old Jun. 5th, '09, 1:06 pm   #7
jujimum
Custom User Title

Jun 2008 18,713
St. Louis, Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
I thought this was more female oriented.. is that not the case?
I don't believe so. On another site I read about a guy and his wife using the game. He said that it definitely provides more of a workout than Wii Fit. He even recommended getting a Reebok type resistance band to "upgrade".

I don't think it's the most strenuous workout, but for those that are heavily out of shape and/or getting back into action, that it helps.

I think you have to keep in mind what type of activities you'll be doing. It's not a free weight routine by any means
Old Jun. 5th, '09, 1:25 pm   #8
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

I wonder if this would help me get in shape for hockey next year. The 4 months off in the summer is a killer when you get back on the ice in september!
Old Jun. 5th, '09, 1:44 pm   #9
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ

Like Jim said, this isn't strength training by any means. But it does help with cardio in a fun way. I will use this as a supplement to weight training. I need somebody/something to keep my exercises varied and fresh and this did the trick.

Yeah, the resistance band is somewhat of a joke IMO. Especially since I am someone that lifts weights. Once I get my basement finished and move the Wii down there I will probably start to use my free weights with it.

Last night I did running/walking, squats, lunges, curls, shoulder raises, rows, kick boxing (with my balance board, although you can do it without), and roller blading (with my balance board but you can do it without). Rollerblading is a "loose" term to use. Your guy on screen rollerblades, you (on the balance board....not sure what it does if you don't have it) get down into a squat to move faster, and when hay bales come on the road, you lift your leg and hold it up unil your guy passes everything and can put your leg back down and squat again.

Definitely had fun with it last night and can't wait to see what new exercises it will ask me to do today.

There is a 30 day challenge, where it has your workouts mapped out for you (including days of rest). You can also customize your workouts and choose which exercises you want. And on the 30 day challenge at least, it asked me how intense I wanted my workout to be and had 3 different levels to choose from. So if I was very energetic, I could choose the hardest, or if I had a long hard day I could do something easier.