XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Jun. 3rd, '12, 11:25 am   #11
ExArmySgt
Jun 2008 2,662
Vidor, Texas
Send a message via MSN to ExArmySgt Send a message via AIM to ExArmySgt

Good news! I had a Cisco e4200 Dual Band router laying around and had gotten the Netgear WNDR4500 when I thought that one or two of the ports on the Cisco were not working. Maybe they still aren't but I digress. Anyway, the Cisco was compatible with a third party firmware called DD-WRT which gives you a ton of features typically found on only high end routers. In my search for answers, this custom firmware fixed the issue of the Restricted NAT settings. So, I figured I'd give it a shot figuring if I bricked it, not a huge deal. As luck would have it, it still didn't work for me. Granted, I might not have configured things exactly but bottom line I was still up that proverbial creek. So, I went back to the stock firmware for the Cisco and on a whim thought I'd try it that way. I was encouraged by the fact that on the FAQ for the device it specifically addressed the issue of multiple consoles whereas none of the other routers did. The FAQ claimed any special settings shouldn't be necessary but Port Triggering was available if it was needed. Lo and behold, with UPnP activated, I didn't have to do anything and eventually got 'Open' NAT settings on all consoles. I had two accounts signed into LIVE and did the Network Test for LIVE on a third console with no problems. HALLELUYAH!

An interesting side note was that for a little while, I was getting open NAT settings on all consoles except my daughters. I kept getting Moderate or Strict. As it turns out, I had manually assigned and IP address from all the previous attempts over the last day and a half and that was causing the issue. Once I went in and switched it back to 'Automatic', it completed the network test without issue like the others.

Thank goodness!
Old Sep. 8th, '12, 4:33 pm   #12
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

so I FINALLY got the xbox hooked up, super jacked I might add only to find out that my NAT settings are set to MODERATE....

the only thing that has changed from my last network to this network is I went from a DSL modem to a Cable modem.

I went through the steps listed here:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!

The following web blog does a great job explaining the NAT issues with Xbox Live! Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT
Enable default host at:

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on an 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn), either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the LAN port of the AEBSn, and then use the AirPort Utility, in Manual Setup, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox 360.
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > DHCP tab
Click the "+" (Add) button to enter DHCP Reservations.
Description:
Reserve address by: MAC Address
Click Continue.
MAC Address:
IPv4 Address:
Click Done.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.
AirPort Utility > Select the AEBSn > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT > Configure Port Mappings
Click the "+" (Add) button
Service:
Public UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
Public TCP Port(s): 3074
Private IP Address:
Private UDP Port(s): 88, 3074
Private TCP Port(s): 3074
Click "Continue"
and it looks like I can connect to LIVE with no restrictions, I will find out later when I try to play a game though

I'm done dealing with shit for now, 360 says I'm connected, well that's good enough for me for now.

Old Sep. 9th, '12, 7:38 am   #13
Phoenix 2.0
I see dead people.

Jun 2008 12,960
Windsor Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via AIM to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Skype™ to Phoenix 2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix 2.0

Played a drop in NHL game last night, no lag so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the NAT issue is resolved.