XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Jan. 28th, '12, 9:00 am   #1
CSampson
H. Hammerstein #77
Jul 2008 2,925
Ottawa
Send a message via MSN to CSampson
Default Building a website from the ground up

Hello my XBS brethren,

I've been teaching myself to get a website up and running over the past few days. It's askill I want to get familiar with given the Internet has so much impact in our lives. So far, I've registered my domain, and have gotten familiar with MYSQL processes and creating databases within them.

I'm trying to get a wordpress site up, but I keep running into walls. I've followed this guide a number of times (http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress), as well as my hosting site's guide (this one used SSH commands via a program called Putty: https://members.nearlyfreespeech.net...port/wordpress).

A few times I've gotten all the way to setting up my site via browser. But then, it will die. For example: I had my shit all set up, and wordpress was working (my URL would direct me properly). But then I upload a picture (after changing permissions) and the effin thing just went down on me. No reason I can think of. It's been like that for awhile; a few major successes and then all of a sudden i'm back to step 1 of creating a new mysql process, new databses and re-installing - which I always have problems with.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has tips for a beginner like me or if anyone knows of any common problems derived fro above? I am not sure if I have access to an error log.

Thanks!
Old Jan. 28th, '12, 10:44 am   #2
BTW8892

May 2009 2,419
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Hello my XBS brethren,

I've been teaching myself to get a website up and running over the past few days. It's askill I want to get familiar with given the Internet has so much impact in our lives. So far, I've registered my domain, and have gotten familiar with MYSQL processes and creating databases within them.

I'm trying to get a wordpress site up, but I keep running into walls. I've followed this guide a number of times (http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress), as well as my hosting site's guide (this one used SSH commands via a program called Putty: https://members.nearlyfreespeech.net...port/wordpress).

A few times I've gotten all the way to setting up my site via browser. But then, it will die. For example: I had my shit all set up, and wordpress was working (my URL would direct me properly). But then I upload a picture (after changing permissions) and the effin thing just went down on me. No reason I can think of. It's been like that for awhile; a few major successes and then all of a sudden i'm back to step 1 of creating a new mysql process, new databses and re-installing - which I always have problems with.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has tips for a beginner like me or if anyone knows of any common problems derived fro above? I am not sure if I have access to an error log.

Thanks!
What kind of host are you using?
Old Jan. 28th, '12, 10:58 am   #3
CSampson
H. Hammerstein #77
Jul 2008 2,925
Ottawa

nearlyfreespeech.net

It isn't very user friendly but I knew that going in.

At this point I have everything up and running. My only problem is that I cannot SFTP via wordpress and I have no idea why. Google a bunch of times but nothing yet. I think the problem might have to do with my .htaccess file? It's the only file in the wordpress directory that isn't set to group 'web'. However, even entering command prompts through putty won't change it (albeit I'm using $ chgrp -R web *). Can I specifically pinpoint this file via Putty?

Annnnd just as I type this Filezilla now shows it as group 'web'.

However, I still cannot install/update things directly from my wordpress dashboard. It can't find the SSH/SFTP server even though I'm currently connected via Putty and Filezilla.
Old Jan. 28th, '12, 11:05 am   #4
BTW8892

May 2009 2,419
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
nearlyfreespeech.net

It isn't very user friendly but I knew that going in.

At this point I have everything up and running. My only problem is that I cannot SFTP via wordpress and I have no idea why. Google a bunch of times but nothing yet. I think the problem might have to do with my .htaccess file? It's the only file in the wordpress directory that isn't set to group 'web'. However, even entering command prompts through putty won't change it (albeit I'm using $ chgrp -R web *). Can I specifically pinpoint this file via Putty?

Annnnd just as I type this Filezilla now shows it as group 'web'.

However, I still cannot install/update things directly from my wordpress dashboard. It can't find the SSH/SFTP server even though I'm currently connected via Putty and Filezilla.
To me, it seems like the host that is causing all of your problems. I have used some free hosts in the past, and it was nothing but error after error, and/or constant downtime. It seems like you are doing everything fine, the host just isn't cooperating with you very well.
Old Jan. 28th, '12, 11:13 am   #5
CSampson
H. Hammerstein #77
Jul 2008 2,925
Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW8892 View Post
To me, it seems like the host that is causing all of your problems. I have used some free hosts in the past, and it was nothing but error after error, and/or constant downtime. It seems like you are doing everything fine, the host just isn't cooperating with you very well.
To be fair, NFSN isn't free by any means. They offer domain registering at cheaper prices and you pay for what you use instead of pre-paying for a package. They are also very security oriented and I know they have some default php settings that make it a bit trickier. At this point I may just consider manually installing plugins/themes as that does work. Usually these things just need to be tinkered with and eventually they will click .

It's worth mentioning that I was able to install a plugin (manutall) that backs up my wp site via SFTP (through the same interface). I put in the exact same settings and the plugin backed up no problem (via sftp). However, WP plugin updater is still not cooperating .