XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Help & Information Desk > Other Help

Old Dec. 20th, '11, 6:17 pm   #1
Sir Riasus
Avid Julina Supporter

May 2011 947
Milton, Ontario
Default Windows Media Centre and Extender

Hey Guys,

I've been using the 360 as a video extender to view video files on both a USB external drive and a hardwired LAN PC hard drive for months with no problems. However, when I set up a video server with Vista Home Premium, I can get the videos to play (poorly - that is another issue, as they play fine using Media Player) on the PC through MC but through the Xbox running MC I get an error message saying the file is the wrong format.

The files are Xvid flavor of .avi which the Xbox natively likes. I've shared the drive and folders (but not individual files) on the server.

Any suggestions as to why the files won't play through the Xbox (and perhaps why play slowly and jerkily through MC on the PC while they play fine inder WMP)?

The wierd thing too is I can actually see the video thumbnails, which means my xbox recognizes the file type (I hope) but just wont play them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan
Season 8- St. Louis Blues #33 RD- RIASUS
Old Dec. 20th, '11, 7:36 pm   #2
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,278
Niagara Falls, Ontario

got me beat.. i havent been able to get media extender to work on my windows 7 haha xp everything worked great.. keeps crapping out and wont make the connection now

Old Dec. 21st, '11, 8:36 am   #3
Sir Riasus
Avid Julina Supporter

May 2011 947
Milton, Ontario

Shitty Keith, I wish I could help, but I am running on vista (yes I know I'm cheap)

So from what I have read, you cant view .avi file types on the on the WMC on your xbox 360 (way to shit the bed on this one microsoft). I have found a workaround though. Instead of using WMC, go into the videos section and it should see your pc on your network. This will automatically look into your "public videos" folder of your pc so you need all of your videos to reside there.

I am gonna finish it tonight and let you know how it works out. If I succeed, I will walk you through it, but it will cost you a round at Royal Niagara.
Old Dec. 21st, '11, 10:10 am   #4
Stew514
Banned
May 2009 382
Send a message via MSN to Stew514

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredCustoms View Post
got me beat.. i havent been able to get media extender to work on my windows 7 haha xp everything worked great.. keeps crapping out and wont make the connection now
Have you disabled IPV6?
Old Dec. 28th, '11, 12:07 pm   #5
Sir Riasus
Avid Julina Supporter

May 2011 947
Milton, Ontario

So, as suspected, the windows media extender does not support avi file types. The much easier route, which I am now doing myself successfully is to share your media folder and direct it to your public video folder. It works perfectly and I am so happy now.

Keith, lets touch base on xbl and I can walk you through it, it will take us 15 mins at most.
Old Dec. 29th, '11, 4:41 pm   #6
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,278
Niagara Falls, Ontario

i am running a 3tb Network Drive. i have done everything and anything possible, but when still trying to make the extended desktop connection everything just timesout.

Stew i did take out IPV6 with the same results..

i dont even care about the computer seeing the xbox. i just want the xbox to see my harddrive..

i had them all public folders then had them sync offline to make sure they were all viewable all the time. and i read this somewhere as well.. but still could not get it to work..

I havent looked at it in a while.. i may dive back in.. i just gave up haha

Old Dec. 29th, '11, 7:29 pm   #7
Stew514
Banned
May 2009 382
Send a message via MSN to Stew514

DC someone told me you need to install a program called Tversity onto a NAS to enable DLNA so that your xbox can see the drive. Need's something on there to tell the xbox to look for it.
Old Dec. 29th, '11, 7:31 pm   #8
DesiredCustoms
XBSHL Junkie
Jun 2008 3,278
Niagara Falls, Ontario

ohhh i will look into that and see what i can find.
thank you sir