Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > General Banter

Old Aug. 22nd, '18, 7:15 pm   #1
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem

Jun 2010 5,173
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Default A touching Habs story from a Leaf fan.

So, I make no apologies for decades of cheering for Toronto, and having Montreal most often as my 2nd or 3rd least favorite team (on account of them not being good enough to earn that much hate).

A good friend of mine and her husband were former coworkers of mine and I'd known them for many years. They were career Penguin fans, and didn't plan on / think they were capable of having kids on account of her pre-existing health issues. However, after several years together, a happy accident happened, and out popped a happy little Habs fan, of all things. This kid, Max, is a potential hockey prodigy, and I don't just say that because he's my friend's kid - for an 8 year old he skates like a tornado and his shooting accuracy is insane.

(My 1st birthday gift to him was a customized Pens infant "jersey" with his name on it - I accept no responsibility for the Montreal nonsense.)

The boy's mom, who I worked with closely for years, was a cancer and Crohn's disease survivor who had seen a lot, but had been in pretty good health for the past 10 years. Unfortunately, that came to a sudden halt as it was revealed that her long-gone melanoma had returned, and this time it was stage 4. She fought bravely to the end, but passed away last week at age 40, leaving her partner and 8 year old son behind - just shy of the boy's 9th birthday.

He's tried to be strong and make happy times since, but who can blame him for being down? Now, I don't know who reached out to the Habs, but today he got a letter and hockey card signed by none other than Max Pacioretty, reminding him what a brave young man (also named Max) he is and how proud he continues to make his mom. What an amazing gesture from a hero that had absolutely no obligation to do so. Much respect to #67 for such a great gesture.

Get screened for cancer, folks. Whether it's a mole, sudden bleeding, or the dreaded finger for the 40+ crowd, it takes far too many of us before our time.

"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Old Aug. 23rd, '18, 6:50 am   #2
canadianwhiskey
Relax, have a drink.

Aug 2008 3,416
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to canadianwhiskey

Amazing.

Old Aug. 23rd, '18, 8:37 am   #3
BIGD
Apr 2018 83
grand bend ontario

thanks for sharing

Old Aug. 23rd, '18, 8:49 am   #4
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,885
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

Wow! Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Old Aug. 24th, '18, 2:30 pm   #5
BleedBlueBlood
Toronto Owner/Captain

Jun 2008 18,280
Toronto

Yeah thanks for sharing, great hearing stuff like this, even if it relates to Montreal lol