Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Games > Other Sports > General Sports

Old Jan. 14th, '16, 9:31 pm   #1
Ftz chr0nic
CHRONIC l6l
Dec 2013 143
ontario,canada
Default New to training at the Gym?

Hey guys, just was talking to Pie man disregard the incorrect name as it would be mangled ha. We got to talking about his past and how he enjoys working out and set himself up with a little sweet gym in his basement. We started talking and well ran out of time so just wanted to throw some information at you all if your intending on working out often or getting stronger/bigger and or lose some weight. Here are amazing free programs to start off with even if you've been playing sports for years using these programs get you to another level physically and almost always gets people hooked.

Here are a few free programs

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...novice-workout

I used this program succesfully for a year going from 275 pounds to 200 pounds while getting stronger throughout a full year. Also has lots of FAQ's on page. Jason Blaha also has a successful fitness youtube channel called juggernautfitnesstv.

Variation of a 5x5- full site honestly heard really good things
http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/
(i use a variation of his program)

please use his linear strength program pdf, he does have lots of useful info and key long term success to building programming and shows you how to set up your training. Jonnie Candito is a international powerlifter and competes at world events. Though he does have other programs you can use his 6 week strength program but it wouldn't benefit a beginner as much as an intermediate lifter. If your curious about form and technique his youtube channel is very good at informing correctly with scientific explanations but easily understood to all. This program would benefit people with less time it just splits up upper and lower body workouts.

Little about me

I'm currently finishing my last term in college for fitness and health promotion which if i decide to transfer would take me into my 3rd year of a Kinesiology degree program. Also in about 3 months I will have a fancy personal training certificate that sets me above most other personal trainers if your curious i am currently powerlifting and have been seriously training for around 3 years.

If you have any questions with anything related to health and fitness or want info on other programs if you dont know where to start hit me up i'm sure I can answer them or find the answer for you. The fitness industry is overwhelming and alot of people are not educated enough to inform people.

Old Jan. 14th, '16, 11:09 pm   #2
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,588
Boston

Thank you for posting this, there is some really good information here. I know we'd been chatting our team's ears off pre-game a few times, so I'm glad we're able to expand the conversation here and to a broader audience if the interest is there.

I've found over the years that there are countless programs out there, and many of them require certain modifications to suit my body's needs or short comings. It's essential that we get to know our body, and how it reacts to certain workouts. I've yet to find a reason to work shoulders for example. I'll work them in once every few weeks, but I usually get enough soreness that is boderline pain to know that I've overtrained them (since they are secondary to so many other exercises).

The crucial thing for me is also to pay attention to form when doing any lift. I don't care if I look silly lifting a lighter weight, I'm not going to sacrifice form for weight. It's a recipe for injury, and few things bum me out like not being able to train.

Another important thing I consider when putting together my personal routines is pull vs. push movements. I try to alternate them, and keep their amounts fairly even throughout the workout. This too I find helps prevent over training.

I'm currently trying a 5 day split where I do chest, legs, and back on days 1-3 (along with cardio and some ab work throughout), rest on day 4, and go shoulders and arms on days 5-6 (with another rest day on D7). But like I mentioned above, this is only week 2 of the new regimen, and I'm already cutting out the shoulder work, instead focusing on core strength, mobility, and cardio on day 5 on account of the discomfort in my shoulder. I'm prone to shoulder injury when over training, so I cut that shit out immediately as soon as I felt it.

I'm mostly training to develop core strength and musculature to support a degenerating spine that's already needed one surgery to repair. I've recovered as well as can be expected, and dedicated myself to getting physically healthy and strong to stave off future spine problems. If possible.

So that's my story so far, would love to hear others along with training plans / ideas / suggestions. Folks new to training as well as experienced folks, what are some of your insights and experiences? Any knowledge to pass on and share with us? Any favorite exercises?

I'm currently hooked on the deadlift myself.

Peace!

Old Jan. 15th, '16, 11:01 am   #3
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,687
NE of TO

Very cool. My wife is a power lifter too and she's competing in the Canadian National Finals in a few weeks. She already won our regional and provincial competitions for her age/weight class, so I'm excited to see how she does against our nations best.

Old Jan. 15th, '16, 2:57 pm   #4
Ftz chr0nic
CHRONIC l6l
Dec 2013 143
ontario,canada

awesome BBB hope shes successful.

Nice OSB, eventually you'll find it difficult to make gains off of your program meaning you will most likely need more frequency assuming your not on testosterone replacement therapy. I can talk all day about body adaptations but as a natural lifters its critical you hit major muscle groups atleast 2-3 times a week as a beginner meaning less than 2 years of training or not yet at intermediate lifting ranges. I also heard you say over training and i think your mixing up over training with sore muscle groups most likely because of overuse with heavy isolation exercises. True overtraining is called rhabdomyolysis basically this is break down of muscle tissue when overtrained past exhaustion typically found in high level athletes like elite boxers and mma fighters as well as endurance or marathon runners. If your worried about overtraining you can tell by pain. Also after heavy training immune systems can become compromised but this is common with working in the 95 to 100 percent range of a given lift. when your immune system is becoming weaker by feel like a sore throat is coming on very close to a cold but once you take a day or two off all should be well. As far as push and pull you ideally want to use the best exercise for example a horizontal pull and vertical on the same muscle groups like lat pull down and bent over row. you'll see the most bang for your buck going upper and lower body not just for frequency but for planning routines as its roughly the same time as a body part split yet hitting the groups more often you will also be able to grow more (hypertrophy) linearly add weight to the bar 5 pounds to every lift ideally every workout until you plateau this does work best when using full body but can apply to lower/uppery bodys you may want to work with percentages after you plateau in form and fail in a given lift. Hopefully this helps, I will be on after I work tonight if you have more questions or I brought out more questions

Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 2:14 pm   #5
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Vezina Hands

Jun 2008 17,687
NE of TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftz chr0nic View Post
awesome BBB hope shes successful.
Thanks. She competed last weekend at the Canadian Championships and finished 5th in her division. She competed for the experience and now that this is done, so is she. She'll still train because she loves it, but the competition part is over and I'm happy about that...too much training and weight cutting = grouchy wife.

Last edited by BleedBlueBlood; Feb. 22nd, '16 at 2:51 pm.

Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 2:51 pm   #6
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,588
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftz chr0nic View Post
Nice OSB, eventually you'll find it difficult to make gains off of your program meaning you will most likely need more frequency assuming your not on testosterone replacement therapy.
The TRT assumption is correct.

You were also correct in what I quoted above. For the last three weeks I've been doing some sort of 5x5 and hitting major muscle groups at least 2-3 times per week, and I really like the results. The fact that I can feel and see results in that little time itself speaks volumes to the method's efficacy.

I'd been doing a good job switching up routines to keep my body guessing, but it was invariably always in the 8-10 rep range with little variability in weight, just different types of lifts / ways of hitting the target muscles. Doing 5x5s almost feels like cheating it's been so good. I know that can't last, but I'm grateful have it in the arsenal / rotation. Thank you for your insight Chronic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
She competed last weekend at the Canadian Championships at finished 5th in her division. She competed for the experience and now that this is done, so is she. She'll still train because she loves it, but the competition part is over and I'm happy about that...too much training and weight cutting = grouchy wife.
That's awesome, congratulations! I have friends in California, a married couple, who are both semi-pro. They're good people, but man could they get grouchy when cutting. I can't imagine living with someone who's cutting and prepping for the stage (or the octagon, or whatever they're cutting for).

I have August of this year as my target date to get shredded. So far so good.

Old Feb. 29th, '16, 1:35 pm   #7
Ftz chr0nic
CHRONIC l6l
Dec 2013 143
ontario,canada

That's amazing BBB, 5th at a Championship event is no joke against the best in the country that's impressive. Good for her.

Yeah OSB 5x5's are great and if its full body hitting body 2-3 times per week is bound to get you results if your adding 5 pounds to the bar each week it will carry for a while. I was on a 5x5 for a year straight with great results before I switched things up. Good to here I could help out.

Old Mar. 14th, '16, 8:28 am   #8
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,588
Boston

It appears I've been over training a bit. Both my shoulders have been very sore for the last 10 days or so. Not your average "damn I worked out hard yesterday" sore, but the kind of sore where I had actual pain in both my shoulders for a full week. It affected how I moved around, and I cut back on the training this past week (on anything that involved my shoulder, which is a lot lol). It was a good week for core and legs, but I'm looking forward to trying some chest work again today. Going to go much lighter to see how the shoulders hold up. Good times!

Old Mar. 21st, '16, 2:49 pm   #9
Ftz chr0nic
CHRONIC l6l
Dec 2013 143
ontario,canada

Hey OSB, sorry for not responding earlier but is your shoulder pain still evident? could it be joint pain not muscle.I can understand shoulder pain if you bench heavy with elbows untucked or even most push exercises tucking elbows in and scapulae down and back will avoid this stress especially on your rotator cuff which could be your source of pain. Hows your shoulders now and what have you been doing before your extreme soreness?

Old Mar. 21st, '16, 5:16 pm   #10
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,588
Boston

No worries man, I was actually just poppin' on here to give an update. There is definitely still soreness in both my shoulders, chest exercises are still a no go. Bench press isn't an issue, but any flyes or incline press sends an immediate message that I should cease and desist immediately. When testing I go through the motion / forms first without weights, and if there's no pain I go to about 25% of what my recent lifts were. At the first sign of trouble I bail, ice, rest. I killed legs today, and abs, so it was a good day. I've had no trouble working arms either (elbows are always tucked, if they cheat out I know I'm lifting too heavy or I'm getting too tired).

And yet, 10 minutes ago I used my left arm to reach to the side and overhead to grab something in the pantry, and my shoulder gave my a little zap to let me know that was not cool at all. In short, I've no clue WTF is up with the shoulders (mostly left). As a bonus, my left knee is bugging me too. No pain when I walk, no pain when I lift, but if I kneel or squat down my left knee just screams at me. I've been icing it too, but it feels stiff / inflamed and it's not getting better either (going on 6 weeks with that one).

So yeah, the joys or trying to lift and get stronger while using an aging body. Good times. Had to cut cardio short on account of my damn knee, though I did go heavy on legs today.

Tags
fitness, gym, health, training