Remember Me?:    
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > Leagues > XBSHL > League News

Old Nov. 25th, '16, 8:57 pm   #1
BTW8892
Administrator

May 2009 2,446
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892
Default XBSHL PIN System

Hey everyone,

As you all probably know by now, EA Sports rolled out an update earlier this week that included new private Online Team Play lobbies. This is something that obviously changes how we will be running XBSHL games, and as a result, we have integrated a new feature into the scoreboard. In order to matchup against specific teams, both teams must provide the same PIN number in the Drop-In lobby prior to searching.

In order to cut down on communicating game PIN's, we have created our own PIN system that gives each game a unique PIN to use in the lobby. There are two ways to locate the game PIN, and that is by clicking on the unplayed game at the top of the scoreboard, or by looking in your team forum. The picture below illustrates where they are located.

This will allow both teams to locate the game PIN well in advance of the scheduled game time, and eliminate any potential confusion while communicating the game PIN's. This will obviously be a slight adjustment at first, but we feel this is the best course of action moving forward with Season 17.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to leave them in the thread and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Old Nov. 25th, '16, 9:00 pm   #2
No Regretzkys
Frozen Water Sports

Aug 2013 496
Long Island, NY

Awesome... Thanks for the update!
Old Nov. 25th, '16, 9:26 pm   #3
allthway
Master
May 2014 508

Is there away to set home and away?
Focus on winning too much
Old Nov. 25th, '16, 11:50 pm   #4
BTW8892
Administrator

May 2009 2,446
Long Island, NY
Send a message via MSN to BTW8892 Send a message via AIM to BTW8892 Send a message via Skype™ to BTW8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthway View Post
Is there away to set home and away?
Unfortunately, from the testing we have done, there's no concrete method to decide the home and away team in the drop-in lobby. We have tried letting one team search first to see if it makes them the home team, but there was still the odd chance it put them as the away team.

Basically, there may be some games where you have to back out and try it again until the scheduled home team ends up on the right side. Obviously this may seem like a pain, but it keeps your current PIN entered so you just have to get into your positions and queue right up again. The connection also appears to be much better compared to EASHL challenges, and everyone will have an authentic jersey/arena.

It is less than ideal, but this is what EA has given us yet again, and while it isn't necessarily what we wanted, we'll just have to make it work.
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 1:43 am   #5
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,101
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Fucking Rammer.
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 2:05 pm   #6
OldTimeHockey
The Garbage Man

Jul 2008 7,629
South Amboy, NJ
Send a message via MSN to OldTimeHockey

Just a quick comment and my two cents, which I'm sure or at least hopeful was taken into consideration. We've begun this season under these conditions with having to go into a lobby and challenge another club instead of drop in lobbies. To change that mid season just doesn't seem right. We play games under a certain set of parameters and then we are going to up and change those parameters midseason? Yes it seems the games are more stable and that is something we all want, but what else does it change? Are the tuners exactly alike? Do the games take the same exact length to play? Are things like puck friction or stamina or skating ability exactly the same?

The point I am trying to make is that although on one hand it is something we were really looking forward to, however on the other hand doesn't seem like the right thing to do in the middle of a season. It's almost like if the real NHL decided midseason the goalies are too good so we are going to increase the size of the net, or we don't like 3 on 3 overtime so let's make it 2 on 2.

Trust me I'm not saying these things to be defiant, far from it actually. Just wanted to voice my opinion, which I think I have a right to do, because I don't think for the fairness of everyone things should change midseason and the season should be completed as is and any major changes take place in the off-season for parity of the season. At the end of the day I will respect the wishes of the powers that be.

I haven't really looked at the whole codes thing that needs to be inputted. Instead of having a different one per game, can't each team have their own unique code for the season and it is understood that the code of the home team will be used? That way we get used to 6 different codes and don't have to constantly change or have to look what the code of our individual games are going to be?
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 2:58 pm   #7
BTW8892
Administrator

May 2009 2,446
Long Island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey View Post
Just a quick comment and my two cents, which I'm sure or at least hopeful was taken into consideration. We've begun this season under these conditions with having to go into a lobby and challenge another club instead of drop in lobbies. To change that mid season just doesn't seem right. We play games under a certain set of parameters and then we are going to up and change those parameters midseason? Yes it seems the games are more stable and that is something we all want, but what else does it change? Are the tuners exactly alike? Do the games take the same exact length to play? Are things like puck friction or stamina or skating ability exactly the same?

The point I am trying to make is that although on one hand it is something we were really looking forward to, however on the other hand doesn't seem like the right thing to do in the middle of a season. It's almost like if the real NHL decided midseason the goalies are too good so we are going to increase the size of the net, or we don't like 3 on 3 overtime so let's make it 2 on 2.

Trust me I'm not saying these things to be defiant, far from it actually. Just wanted to voice my opinion, which I think I have a right to do, because I don't think for the fairness of everyone things should change midseason and the season should be completed as is and any major changes take place in the off-season for parity of the season. At the end of the day I will respect the wishes of the powers that be.

I haven't really looked at the whole codes thing that needs to be inputted. Instead of having a different one per game, can't each team have their own unique code for the season and it is understood that the code of the home team will be used? That way we get used to 6 different codes and don't have to constantly change or have to look what the code of our individual games are going to be?
There is literally no difference between using the Drop-In lobbies and the regular EASHL club challenges. Both modes are contained in the EASHL mode, and gameplay wise, everything uses the same tuner in all online game modes. Trust us when we say we have taken almost every angle into consideration when deciding to switch over. We wouldn't be doing all of this work to add new features into the scoreboard, and taking time to make these posts if we weren't 110% positive with our commitment.

I understand your concerns on the matter, but nothing is different aside from the way we are creating the lobby. As far as the PIN system goes, this is the best possible way to avoid any sort of confusion or matchmaking with teams outside of the league. Each time you create a new lobby, the PIN resets and you have to enter in the new PIN regardless. We've made it more than convenient to locate the PIN's in multiple locations, so we don't anticipate any issues there.

Like I had said previously, we have done extensive research on the matter and this is the best course of action we came up with.
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 4:14 pm   #8
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Versus Hands

Jun 2008 17,602
The Elbow

Sounds great! With these being unranked games, was the ability to change period lengths for future seasons included?

As you skate across my blueline in the shadow of death, thou shall fear my evil - Sauerkraut 23:4
"My uncle Tretiak taught me everything I know" - Baron Von Sauerkraut
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 4:30 pm   #9
BTW8892
Administrator

May 2009 2,446
Long Island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlueBlood View Post
Sounds great! With these being unranked games, was the ability to change period lengths for future seasons included?
Unfortunately, from the testing we have done, there wasn't any way to change the game settings or period length. Originally, we thought this was the case but it doesn't appear to be.
Old Nov. 26th, '16, 5:00 pm   #10
Rip Winkle
Administrator

Aug 2008 6,505
Canada

Things change midseason all the time with EA's tuner updates...and we have always gone with the most recent tuner available...even if this did shift a few things you mention J...which I don't believe it does....it really is no different then us updating to the new tuner when it comes out. The other main point is that things are the same for everyone.

Also we have to trust....I know it is hard at times.... in EA making changes for the better....it makes little sense for us not to use anything they offer if it improves the frustration level for the better. The league is a living evolving organism that needs constant attention and adjusting. When things are offered to us.....we tend to research and then implement changes sooner than later....these guys do a lot of work backstage and anything they do is always with the best interest of the league mass in mind.

Peace

Site > League > Team > Self