XBox-Sports.com
User Name:
Password:
Remember Me?:    
Search Forums:
  Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 
Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 10:29 am   #11
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut
 
BleedBlueBlood's Avatar
Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
I'm curious if some GM out there is willing to pull a Lindros maneuver and offer... everything in the organization for that pick.

The cost of trading for a generational talent on draft day the only time it happened: Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, the Flyers first-round picks in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million. All for Eric Lindros, who was the best player in hockey for about 2 years at one point.

However, instead of the usual diplomatic "keeping options open" answers that most GMs will give, when asked about the chances of trading the pick, Craig MacTavish replied "Zero."

For my part, I'm happy the Leafs didn't slip below 4th, but I'm hoping they can swing a deal with Arizona, or at least that Arizona picks a defenseman. Toronto needs Dylan Strome more than they need Noah Hanifin.
I'm with you there. I was hoping the Leafs would move up a spot because anyone of those first 3 picks should be great players (McDavid, Eichel and Strome) then IMO the talent level does drop off. Hopefully they'll get lucky and somehow land Strome.....but who knows and knowing Leaf luck, it won't happen.

There were 2 teams I was hoping didn't get that #1 pick and that was Buffalo, because they purposely tried to lose/stink this season to increase their chances and the other was Edmonton. A team that has that many #1 picks (what is it? 4 in the last 6 years or now 5 in the last 7?) and to still stink that bad, they shouldn't be allowed to have anymore on principle.



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 11:22 am   #12
OSB
Maximum effort!
 
OSB's Avatar
Jun 2008 13,715
Boston
Offline
Default

I think the Oilers have proven these last years that they can't build a team, even with all those #1 picks. Nothing against the Oilers or their fans, its just a real shame to see it happen.



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 12:15 pm   #13
Thamps
Dish Master
 
Thamps's Avatar
Nov 2010 1,031
Send a message via AIM to Thamps
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
I think the Oilers have proven these last years that they can't build a team, even with all those #1 picks. Nothing against the Oilers or their fans, its just a real shame to see it happen.
Trust me when I say this, the fans know this and the fans agree we need new management.



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 12:22 pm   #14
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem
 
muscleyarms83's Avatar
Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Offline
Default

I said all the way back in 2012 that Yakupov was a mistake, and Edmonton BADLY needed to draft Ryan Murray instead. Now they're going to take another flashy forward.

The big difference this time is McDavid brings actual hope to the organization, which in turn will help a little in attracting free agents.



"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 12:24 pm   #15
Thamps
Dish Master
 
Thamps's Avatar
Nov 2010 1,031
Send a message via AIM to Thamps
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
I said all the way back in 2012 that Yakupov was a mistake, and Edmonton BADLY needed to draft Ryan Murray instead. Now they're going to take another flashy forward.

The big difference this time is McDavid brings actual hope to the organization, which in turn will help a little in attracting free agents.
As an Oilers fan I said the same thing about yakupov and Murray. I'm Hoping the oilers management is smart enough to trade one or two of these young forwards for some defensive help.



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 23rd, '15, 1:34 pm   #16
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut
 
BleedBlueBlood's Avatar
Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Trust me when I say this, the fans know this and the fans agree we need new management.
I agree. I know Lowe and MacTavish were apart of that Gretzky dynasty, but playing on the ice is not the same as being a president or GM. The team has to look past that and it's time to let those guys go.

With that said I hear rumors ex Bruin GM Chiarelli is in talks with them for the GM job....



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 25th, '15, 4:59 am   #17
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }
 
SoulControlla99's Avatar
Dec 2008 5,118
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99
Offline
Default

I don't agree with limiting a team's top picks. If a team is shit, drafts underachieving players and are still a shit team, they should keep getting to pick in the top spots. Obviously they're not drafting good players in those spots so why should other teams care? That means good players are being left on the board.

And I don't get why Buffalo fans would be salty about not getting drawn for the #1 pick. They had the best chance but they also had an 80% chance of NOT getting the pick.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 25th, '15, 12:18 pm   #18
muscleyarms83
Et Non Erunt Decem
 
muscleyarms83's Avatar
Jun 2010 5,164
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Offline
Default

Wait til next season, when the worst team stands a reasonable shot at picking 4th.

McDavid, and now Chiarelli as GM... is hope for Edmonton a real thing now?



"Ya drive on down to Buffalo to watch the Leafs play, and sure, the gas is cheap, but fuck if they don't even have All Dressed chips in that shithole." - Wayne
Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 25th, '15, 4:49 pm   #19
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut
 
BleedBlueBlood's Avatar
Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulControlla99 View Post
I don't agree with limiting a team's top picks. If a team is shit, drafts underachieving players and are still a shit team, they should keep getting to pick in the top spots. Obviously they're not drafting good players in those spots so why should other teams care? That means good players are being left on the board.

And I don't get why Buffalo fans would be salty about not getting drawn for the #1 pick. They had the best chance but they also had an 80% chance of NOT getting the pick.

I guess I should have said I was being sarcastic. I thought it would have been known.



Reply With Quote
Old Apr. 25th, '15, 4:51 pm   #20
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut
 
BleedBlueBlood's Avatar
Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto
Offline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleyarms83 View Post
Wait til next season, when the worst team stands a reasonable shot at picking 4th.

McDavid, and now Chiarelli as GM... is hope for Edmonton a real thing now?
I know McDavid is supposed to be on another level, but weren't they saying that with Hall?



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Site Styles
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:54 am.
Contact Us - XBox-Sports - Archive - Top
Menu Links