Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Hockey

Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 8:10 pm   #1
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,118
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99
Default Overturned Hayes goal DET-NYR

Anyone else catch that garbage the other day with the Rangers and Red Wings? I mean the Hayes' overturned goal when Howard was "interfered" with? Since when does causing a player to skate into you as a goalie because you trip them outside the crease constitute interference? If a defender pushes an opposing player into his own goalie it's not interference so why was this? Howard clearly trips Lindberg outside the crease who isn't even looking or skating towards Howard but he gets tripped, inadvertently kicks Howards in the head who lets up a goal. It's called a goal on the ice but gets overturned on review. Not even a 2 minute minor for Howard. Ridiculous.

https://streamable.com/e98p
Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 8:30 pm   #2
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,984
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to kdfsjljklgjfg Send a message via Skype™ to kdfsjljklgjfg

Pretty sure they overturned it under this part of the rulebook:

(1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal;

It doesn't say that the player or the contact has to happen within the crease. It doesn't apply to defensemen pushing players into the goalie because that would be considering the defenseman impairing the goalie's ability to move or defend. You also have to consider, in the context of that part of the rule, that Howard wasn't trying to trip or impede anybody; he was stabilizing himself after sliding across the crease, which you could say to be him trying to defend his goal.

Honestly, I think that one could've went either way.

There's also the thing you have to consider that play is often blown dead when a goalie gets stunned by a puck to the face, or some other kind of contact, in a way that makes him unable to defend his goal or defend himself. You see it on occasion when a slapshot nails the goalie right in the front of the mask and he gets dazed and goes down for a bit. It's entirely possible that they were giving a bit of leeway on that call in favor of the goalie, because they should have blown the play dead. Not that I proclaim to know what they were thinking, just saying it's possible.

Mr. Utility
Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 8:45 pm   #3
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,984
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to kdfsjljklgjfg Send a message via Skype™ to kdfsjljklgjfg

I think the big thing here is that, by the book, they were right to wave it off, but SHOULD that be the kind of thing that's waved off?

Mr. Utility
Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 9:14 pm   #4
SoulControlla99
{ { { { BACON } } } }

Dec 2008 5,118
Portland, OR
Send a message via MSN to SoulControlla99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfsjljklgjfg View Post
I think the big thing here is that, by the book, they were right to wave it off, but SHOULD that be the kind of thing that's waved off?
The main thing is that Lindberg was an innocent bystander in the whole thing. He wasn't in the crease, he didn't fall or make contact with the goalie on his own, accidentally or purposefully. The only reason he made contact with the goalie was because of Howard himself. Lindberg was skating away from the net, not even looking at Howard.

The telling part that says it shouldn't have been called no goal is Howard didn't complain for even a second. So not even the goalie thought it was interference.

Last edited by SoulControlla99; Feb. 22nd, '16 at 9:20 pm.
Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 10:04 pm   #5
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,984
Austin, TX

Incidental contact is still contact, though.

I've also seen it mentioned that, if players are punished with high sticking for the follow through on a shot, why shouldn't Lindberg be punished for the follow-through of his skate after getting tripped? Both are the unintentional result of a completely different action.

And "he didn't complain" is hardly justification. There's a solid chance he was still a bit dazed from contact, or maybe once Blashill issued the challenge, he didn't see a point to complaining about something already under review.

Mr. Utility
Old Feb. 22nd, '16, 10:36 pm   #6
Blaklash

Jan 2012 1,266

Eh. I was upset about it when I saw it happen, but if they're gonna follow it to the letter of the law then I guess. We won in the end so I no longer care.

There were however a litany of other shitty calls in that game (like a phantom elbowing call on Girardi) that should not have happened.

Old Feb. 23rd, '16, 12:03 am   #7
kdfsjljklgjfg
Jul 2008 1,984
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Blaklash View Post
There were however a litany of other shitty calls in that game (like a phantom elbowing call on Girardi) that should not have happened.
Yeah, that elbowing call was utter garbage.

Mr. Utility