Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Fighting

Old Jul. 7th, '13, 6:17 pm   #11
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
To say it was fixed is absolutely ridiculous. The UFC just lost a lot of money in Weidman winning that fight. If Silva won they could have easily had a superfight with him vs Jones/GSP which would generate a shit ton of revenue. Now that won't happen, Dana even said so at the press conference.
Exactly. Not saying you're one of these people Penguin, but the excuses I've heard from ignorant, bias Silva fans in the past 20 hours or so have been absolutely ridiculous. As KT said, the UFC just lost a huge opportunity to make money. Superfight, yeah it will sell. A superfight between two champions, one of whom is considered the greatest ever?

Yeah.....no one in the UFC is stupid enough to say "Hey Anderson, take a dive". I'm really tired of people trying to find any bit of "evidence" they can so that they can say the UFC (or MMA in general) is "scripted" or "fake". Anyone who believes that is simply enough a moron.
Old Jul. 7th, '13, 7:46 pm   #12
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada

Its not a fix obviously, but you can tell Anderson didn't care that he lost. I think he wants to do different things besides defending his belt against lesser names.

If you really think UFC lost money in him losing, think again. Its a lot easier to make a fight between GSP/Jones now that he doesn't have the belt, his name value is still at an all time high, didn't diminish whats so ever. He also said he wanted to fight Roy Jones Jr for the longest time and was unable to do that while being a champion.

Just take a listen to his post fight speech with Rogan, he asks him if he's retiring now and Anderson looks all surprised and responds... I have a 10 fight contract so I'm still fighting... yet he wants absolutely nothing to do with the belt. He wants more money and more big name fights.

I'm not saying Anderson threw the fight, thats not in his nature and if he won, he won. But I don't know if you guys have been listening to this guy speak over the last year or more. He wanted nothing to do with Weidman and lesser name fights. He wants big name fights, big money fights, thats it. Dana basically forced Anderson into taking the Weirdman fight, he was against it for the longest time.

Now obviously you may not agree or see things differently, and again, I'm not saying its a fix, or that he threw the fight. His heart is just not in defending the title anymore, especially against lesser name fighters.
Old Jul. 7th, '13, 8:48 pm   #13
KT
Jul 2008 5,209
Vancouver, B.C

This was from a few years ago

Old Jul. 7th, '13, 8:54 pm   #14
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada

GSP also predicted Weidman would win, and that he would be the first to finish him in the UFC.
Old Jul. 7th, '13, 8:56 pm   #15
SkatingPenguin
Not bad for 1.5 mil eh?

Jun 2008 2,734
Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to SkatingPenguin

Not saying Anderson threw the fight but I must say when I heard the results of last night I couldn't wait to see the KO. After watching it I was surprised at how it was so not what I expected. It didn't look like most of the KOs I've seen. I guess I was hoping for a big time KO to put that guy in his place finally.
Old Jul. 7th, '13, 9:28 pm   #16
Nico 916 Suave
Sir Gorgeous

Jul 2011 3,665
Pittsburgh, PA

Yeah I couldn't tell if he was trying to showboat and got tagged or, what if maybe the first hit he landed in that sequence dazed him enough that he lost control... Betting on the first part though haha.

Old Jul. 7th, '13, 10:38 pm   #17
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,714
Boston

The thing about getting hit in the head repeatedly, is that over time it has a degenerative effect on the fighter's ability to take a punch. Some guys lose their chin more quickly than others, but at 38 years old with 38 professional fights, I can see how we might someday be faced with a situation where he goes down to a punch that may not have dropped him in previous fights. I love Weidman and I'm not making excuses for Silva, who's showboating is not something I enjoy despite his obvious talent.

Big win Weidman, well deserved.

Old Jul. 7th, '13, 11:36 pm   #18
spec0688

Sep 2012 1,562
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
The thing about getting hit in the head repeatedly, is that over time it has a degenerative effect on the fighter's ability to take a punch. Some guys lose their chin more quickly than others, but at 38 years old with 38 professional fights, I can see how we might someday be faced with a situation where he goes down to a punch that may not have dropped him in previous fights. I love Weidman and I'm not making excuses for Silva, who's showboating is not something I enjoy despite his obvious talent.

Big win Weidman, well deserved.
Silva hardly ever takes a lot of punishment on fights though
Old Jul. 8th, '13, 12:53 pm   #19
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,714
Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec0688 View Post
Silva hardly ever takes a lot of punishment on fights though
No, not consistently, though I've seen him take enough punches to where I think he's got at least a decent chin.

Old Jul. 8th, '13, 1:26 pm   #20
BleedBlueBlood
Baron Von Sauerkraut

Jun 2008 18,229
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatingPenguin View Post
Not saying Anderson threw the fight but I must say when I heard the results of last night I couldn't wait to see the KO. After watching it I was surprised at how it was so not what I expected. It didn't look like most of the KOs I've seen. I guess I was hoping for a big time KO to put that guy in his place finally.
Well, technically it was a TKO (not a KO) as the ref stopped the fight. After Silva got tagged with that second punch and went on his back, Weidman followed it up with some more good shots that almost put him unconscious. If the ref didn't step in, Silva would have most certainly been knocked out cold with another punch or two.

It was so nice to see that his showboating finally caught up to him and he got his clock cleaned!

Should be interesting to see what Silva is going to do going forward. Time will tell.