Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   XBox-Sports Forum > General Section > Sports Roundtable > Fighting

Old May. 25th, '14, 10:26 am   #1
OSB
Maximum effort!

Jun 2008 13,720
Boston
UFC Ufc 173

Has anyone watched this event? I was admittedly exhausted and didn't start watching this until late, so much to the amusement of my buddy I was in and out of sleep for much of the card. I know the results, for the main fights, but I have the good fortune of being able to go back today and watch them today with a fresh (more awake) perspective. From what I did catch I know I'm in for some good fights, and I'll check back in here with a more detailed perspective on the fights. In the meantime:

Click here to see full text

TJ Dillashaw surprised a few folks and put an absolute beating on Barao. More impressively, when's the last time you saw a guy be up by 4 rounds going into the 5th, and still work his ass off to finish his opponent. In a title fight! What a gutsy performance, and what a great fight for us fans!

Daniel Cormier just manhandled Hendo. The size difference was a factor, and after rubbing his nuts all over his face for three rounds, Cormier put Henderson to sleep. It was an absolutely dominant performance, and some top level wrestling was on display. Watch out Bones...

Old May. 25th, '14, 11:31 am   #2
Tougie
Banned
Jun 2012 1,649
Rockland, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSB View Post
Has anyone watched this event? I was admittedly exhausted and didn't start watching this until late, so much to the amusement of my buddy I was in and out of sleep for much of the card. I know the results, for the main fights, but I have the good fortune of being able to go back today and watch them today with a fresh (more awake) perspective. From what I did catch I know I'm in for some good fights, and I'll check back in here with a more detailed perspective on the fights. In the meantime:

TJ Dillashaw surprised a few folks and put an absolute beating on Barao. More impressively, when's the last time you saw a guy be up by 4 rounds going into the 5th, and still work his ass off to finish his opponent. In a title fight! What a gutsy performance, and what a great fight for us fans!

Daniel Cormier just manhandled Hendo. The size difference was a factor, and after rubbing his nuts all over his face for three rounds, Cormier put Henderson to sleep. It was an absolutely dominant performance, and some top level wrestling was on display. Watch out Bones...
Had a feeling that Dillashaw would have a great showing. Barao is an amazing fighter, but TJ managed to stay a step ahead for basically the entire fight.

DC, if Gutafsson can't beat Jones, I'd say DC is the last guy at the moment that can. It would need to be a complete performance, the best of his career, but he can top Jones.

And the most surprising thing tonight for me......Lawler finishing Ellenberger. Just didn't see it coming
Old May. 25th, '14, 11:59 am   #3
KT
Jul 2008 5,214
Vancouver, B.C

I'm shocked the Dillashaw won. I remember him from TUF and he didn't even look all that great on the show. He's improved tremendously and it showed last night. Loved his movement and the way he attacked from different angles. Lots of very well timed strikes. Barao looked frustrated. You have to wonder how much that brutal training changed the way he was able to fight. They literally beat the shit out of each other without headgear at his camp in Brazil.

DC looked amazing. Some of those slams were unreal, and they happened so fast I had to rewind and watch them at half speed. Awesome performance. I'm really curious to see if he could take Jones down and control him on the ground, he's relentless.

Jake Ellenberger has looked really poor his last two fights. I wonder what's up with him. He's not the power puncher he used to be at all. Meanwhile Lawler handed business like usual. It was a good night of fights for sure!